Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 134

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19
Why do govt's still mint PMs? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why do govt's still mint PMs?

akak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Goldbrix View Post
    What would signal the public more that the US economy is tanking?

To all of a sudden quit what has been described over the years as a very successful government program. At a time when most people are questioning the economic well-being of the Country.

Talk about starting a Panic Buying Spree.
    Just as well take those fiat notes to the bathroom or fireplace just like the Germans had to after WWI and II.

JMO,
    Gb

They're not even good for that! They are too small and stiff for TP, and don't even burn particularly well.

I can remember being in Bolivia right after their hyperinflation in the later 1980's, and old paper money was still littering the fields and ditches --- it was a sight to see! People apparently just cast it to the winds after a certain point. Guys were selling thick bundles of 100,000 peso notes for maybe 50 cents as curiosities. My disgust at what their government had inflicted on them kept me from buying any, though.

argent_pur said, "I'd have to say that at the time the Constitution was written, a dollar was not a thing in itself, as it is today, but was defined by a certain weight in gold or silver. Probably semantics, but still..."

Yea, sorta kinda....

As the Revolution wore on, pre Constitution, the economy created the term, "Buck". This was the origin of our dollar's nick name. Hunters would hit the woods and take a horned white tail deer and trade it for an ounce of silver in any form. Thus, one Buck became a dollar in the long run. They left the does as breed stock as much as possible and the males were in general, larger animals.

Who are the guys that call for suggestions for their minting of 999 silver coin motif? I sent them an email saying that a new coinage should have a large White Tailed male Deer of some 12 horn points on one side and the words, "The Buck Stops Here" on the other. I did get a reply saying they loved the idea.