Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mexican Libertad Coin 1 Oz Silver, MY NEW FAVORITE!

Default Mexican Libertad Coin 1 Oz Silver, MY NEW FAVORITE!

I just happened upon my first ones today and I must say, this coin is seriously sweet.

The Mexicans sure know their stuff.

The American Silver eagle is a dull ringer compared to this beauty.

I must have a roll of these.

It is such a superior coin in every way.

The rich tone generated by the coin when struck is so very satisfying when compared to the ding emitted from the ASE.

The ASE looks good on one side as a reproduction of an early twentieth century half dollar.

The Libertad is cartwheel beautiful on both sides, and the edge lettering is cool too!

This is how a premium bullion coin should look (and sound).
    "I foresee little future in 'the price of silver', I see a huge future for 'the price in silver'." - heartbone
    "The truth is called hate by those who hate the truth." - K

Quote Originally Posted by silverheartbone View Post
    I just happened upon my first ones today and I must say, this coin is seriously sweet.

The Mexicans sure know their stuff.

The American Silver eagle is a dull ringer compared to this beauty.

I must have a roll of these.

It is such a superior coin in every way.

The rich tone generated by the coin when struck is so very satisfying when compared to the ding emitted from the ASE.

The ASE looks good on one side as a reproduction of an early twentieth century half dollar.

The Liberated is cartwheel beautiful on both sides, and the edge lettering is cool too!

This is how a premium bullion coin should look (and sound).
    Does anyone know if the Libertad is or was part of the Mexican currency system. I was just browsing through a box of what I collected as souvenirs, pre-Euro change that I brought back with me from most Western European nations and Mexico. I found a Libertad in that pile and I know I never would have purchased one back in the 80's. However I was in Mexico a few times. Actually if it wasn't for this site, I never would have known it was even Silver.

as far as libertads go, I think they are a very nice coin and would like to get some. Can someone fill me in on if i wanted to cross the border to get some. I'm close enough to cross into a border town, relatively unmolested. Is the premium less if getting them in mex compared to the us? Since it's currency I can simply take it back, no worries, afaik.

How would I go about picking some up? Where would one go? A bank, a special coin store? How does it work in mexico? Is it better to use usd or pesos? Again, where would one go? Are they that available everywhere in Mex or is there something specific that you need to do to get some?

thx.

akak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by blatant View Post
    as far as libertads go, I think they are a very nice coin and would like to get some. Can someone fill me in on if i wanted to cross the border to get some. I'm close enough to cross into a border town, relatively unmolested. Is the premium less if getting them in mex compared to the us? Since it's currency I can simply take it back, no worries, afaik.

How would I go about picking some up? Where would one go? A bank, a special coin store? How does it work in mexico? Is it better to use usd or pesos? Again, where would one go? Are they that available everywhere in Mex or is there something specific that you need to do to get some?

thx.

Sorry I can't offer more info, but when I was in Mexico a couple of years ago, I specifically inquired about buying Libertads, both gold and silver, and only a few banks carry them (it might even be one bank only), and the premiums were VERY high, like 25%, so I declined. I did bring back a bunch of the bimetallic 100 peso coins, though, which have a sterling silver center and 0.52 ounces of pure silver in them, making them a much better deal (basically, silver with NO premium!) if you can still find them. And if you are worried about selling them as silver in the future, the silver centers can be easily knocked out by just cooling them to -20 or lower (you can use dry ice if you don't live in Alaska ), and then just whacking them against concrete.

But agreed, the silver Libertads are a beautiful coin! Our silver eagles are nice only on the one side, and only because the artistically bankrupt US Mint decided to steal a design from our glorious coinage past. Same with the gold eagle, whose reverse is even uglier than the silver eagle's. I won't even mention that hideous travesty of the platinum eagle!
    Last edited by akak; 11th December 2009 at 00:20.

Best Place to buy Libertads is at the Elektra Appliance stores. Hugo Salinias Price.. the man behind to effort to re-monitize silver owns the Elektra Chain of Stores, each store has a branch of the Banco Azteca and sells Libertads

http://www.gold-eagle.com/editorials...ich080505.html

Thats the way to go.. thats where the average Mexican buys.
    Hi Ho Silver ... Away

Default Bullion Direct

Bullion Direct has libertads on nucleo exchange for about 19.50-20.00 each.

Default I imagine a rich Mexico would be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by valerb@bellsouth.net View Post
    Does anyone know if the Libertad is or was part of the Mexican currency system. I was just browsing through a box of what I collected as souvenirs, pre-Euro change that I brought back with me from most Western European nations and Mexico. I found a Libertad in that pile and I know I never would have purchased one back in the 80's. However I was in Mexico a few times. Actually if it wasn't for this site, I never would have known it was even Silver.
    EDITORIAL - HOW TO INTRODUCE THE ONE OUNCE SILVER "LIBERTAD" COIN INTO CIRCULATION IN MEXICO
    by Hugo Salinas Price

He has some good ideas which I hope happen.
    "I foresee little future in 'the price of silver', I see a huge future for 'the price in silver'." - heartbone
    "The truth is called hate by those who hate the truth." - K

The sound of silver vibration is based on size and shape of the coin.

Different shapes of coins have a different sound volume as they vibrate more or less.

The Mexican Libertads are 1 millimeter thicker and 0.6 millimeter smaller in diameter then the ASE, which is one reason for a difference in the silver sound.

Whether it's superior or not is a matter of Opinion, not science. Since both ASE and Libertads are 1 troy ounce of 99.9 pure silver. So as far as precious content goes, they are the same, but as far as opinion of which coin is superior: to each his own.
    What is that, which sees through the eyes of your body and notices change?

They are definitely beautiful coins, I own roll in my collection, they put alot of work into then.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Cash2Riches View Post
    They are definitely beautiful coins, I own roll in my collection, they put alot of work into then.
    I been holding out on buying one of these but I think I will pick one up now, they sound like nice coins.