Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 134

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

The eBay Market .. anyone watching?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The eBay Market .. anyone watching?

Default The eBay Market .. anyone watching?

Just curious if the majority of folks on the board are still net buyers? I picked up another two ounces a few minutes ago with a little 10% help from Microsoft. Prices on eBay are now a firm $25 for any government-issued coin (Eagle, Maple, Phil, etc). There are still some art bars and rounds a little cheaper, but in my doomsday scenario I'm not confident someone will take a coin with ELVIS PRESLEY on the front as legitimate, so I pretty much have big-name-mint bars and government issued silver.

When silver was $10-13/oz, finding sellers with free shipping in the $17-18/oz range was a really good price. Nowadays, throw in the cashback (thanks for subsiding hard assets, Microsoft) and you can get freely shipped silver at a mere $3 above spot ($25 - 2.50). That's the same price Apmex is selling for without the egregious shipping cost!

Who knows how long before sellers back up to $30. That's a small advantage with eBay .. you can get someone's asking price from three days ago when the market price was a buck and a half cheaper.

Default Just checked.......

Cheapest eagles (small quantities) are going for $24

http://cgi.ebay.com/2009-AMERICAN-SI...item4cebb5e16c

main1event Guest

You'll be paying close to $21.50 right now at APMEX.com. Of course in a few seconds that might be higher

Really strong bidding for rarities and numismatic coins, bullion strong as well.
    "The bank hath benefit on the interest on all monies which it creates out of nothing." - Bank of England charter 1694

"the centralization of wealth in the hands of the state by means of a national bank with an exclusive monopoly" - Karl Marx, Communist Manifesto

Quote Originally Posted by Cup-of-Ruin View Post
    Really strong bidding for rarities and numismatic coins, bullion strong as well.
    Have been kicking myself for loading up on MS65 gold and silver rarities instead of bullion when this all began; very lackluster growth for 2 years while bullion shoots for the moon.

Maybe rarities are hitting their stride? Perhaps the country club set is finally reading the writing on the wall?

Quote Originally Posted by revlishch View Post
    Just curious if the majority of folks on the board are still net buyers? I picked up another two ounces a few minutes ago with a little 10% help from Microsoft. Prices on eBay are now a firm $25 for any government-issued coin (Eagle, Maple, Phil, etc). There are still some art bars and rounds a little cheaper, but in my doomsday scenario I'm not confident someone will take a coin with ELVIS PRESLEY on the front as legitimate, so I pretty much have big-name-mint bars and government issued silver.

When silver was $10-13/oz, finding sellers with free shipping in the $17-18/oz range was a really good price. Nowadays, throw in the cashback (thanks for subsiding hard assets, Microsoft) and you can get freely shipped silver at a mere $3 above spot ($25 - 2.50). That's the same price Apmex is selling for without the egregious shipping cost!

Who knows how long before sellers back up to $30. That's a small advantage with eBay .. you can get someone's asking price from three days ago when the market price was a buck and a half cheaper.
    When I got off my keister a month ago and started scrambling for silver (you know, it rapidly became an obsession) I went to Ebay and found excellent deals well below spot on 90% coin in the 12x FV range, shipping included.

Here's what I learned: Bid once only AT THE LAST FEW SECONDS on larger ($80-$100 FV ) lots ENDING ON SUNDAY AFTERNOON. Made my best scores there and then consistently.

Those easy $1200 lots are now going for close to $1500. Bwahahahaha!

Stack on!

Default Colonel Clink.....

You must be talking silver. Silver numis have done squat for at least a year and half.

I have only a few pf 70's in gold but they have done very well.

The best of the bunch is the one ounce gold eagle. When I saw it I just had to have one. It was so stunning. I bought it when gold was 940 (summer 200 FMV was 1500. Today FMV 2380. I had no idea that the numis would perform so well. Gold up $275. Gold Coin up $880

Great, but the problem is, growth is quite uneven depending on particular issues. Congratulations on your good fortune. The "flip side" however is the 30% haircut off greysheet value you'll get from a dealer should you decide to sell. It's a crooked market; bullion is much more straight forward.

i'm still buying now, but only with spare money (family room couch, kids piggy bank, etc... ok, just kidding about the couch)

local dealer raised asking price to $2 over spot for AEs $1 for generic...
    Redistribute my work ethic...Let me keep my wealth!

Default Colone Clink said....

The "flip side" however is the 30% haircut off greysheet value you'll get from a dealer should you decide to sell. It's a crooked market; bullion is much more straight forward.

Relayer: Oh yeah. I'm well aware of that too. Just for the heck of it, this summer I took a couple of the rarer silver pf 70's to a coin show.
    They laughed at me! I laughed back. It was more like a 60% haircut!!