Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

The King David Javelin
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The King David Javelin

Default The King David Javelin

Ok, time for a little antiquities Bragging!

Last week, I just acquired a 1000 BC to 930 BC Davidic Javelin Butt Spike for only $150.00.
    It was mistaken for a Maccabean 300-100bc spearhead.
    Once possitivly authinticated as from King David's time it is now worth $500.00!!!

The Javelin Butt Spike is the lethal blade located on the back end of a nasty little spear Ancient Judah used to win it independence from the Philistines.

See Two pictures of my "Javelin Butt Spike" in below attachment.
    (Bronze: 7 inch blade, 3.5 inch tang, totaling 10.5 inches, weighing 3.9 oz. troy)

The book "Archeology of Ancient Israel" by Amnon Ben-Tor
    page 148-151, is the only book out that displays several Davidic bronze Javelin Photos .

According to Mr. Ben-Tor, these type of late bronze age early Iron age javelins are weapons only indigenous to the ancient Israelis, during the time period of the Kings Saul/David/Soloman kingdoms of Judah - 1000 BC. to 930 BC .

The completed Javelin has a 3 cubit long (4 ft) shaft made of "Ash" wood.

With head and Butt spike added the length totals roughly 5ft 3 inches tip to tip. It acted as a short spear, a dagger, and an arrow as the soldier needed it.
    Every Israeli soldier who survived war, was given one of these to take home.
    where it was used for bragging and home defense purposes.

The bronze used up to make it was worth around $1200.00 in biblical times. (Think of it as a 900 BC rifle.)
    These where so important to the identity of the Judean Army Veteran that they where almost always buried with them upon their death.

The photos in the book "Archeology of Ancient Israel" by Amnon Ben-Tor
    are of Javelin butts and heads found in dig sites from south of the Temple Mount in modern Jerusalem and found in dig sites from around the Davidic Bethlehem area. (mine is a perfect match!)

Each photo has both the butt spike and the matching Javelin spear head shown side by side.

Since I can perfectly match my Butt spike to the exact Davidic kingdom butt spike in the photos.
    I also KNOW what the javelin head looks like in exact size, shape, and detail, relative to the Javelin butt spike I own.
    All I have to do is simply enlarge the picture until it is 'to scale" with my butt spike and i will have the javelon head too...

And, since Ben-Tor took so much time explaining the actual construction of the Davidic Javelin
    I can now make the entire biblical weapon in perfect detail!

Here is a link to the book "Archeology of Ancient Israel"
    (I can only send you a link because the only photo of it is in a copyrighted book and does not allow "copy/paste" options.)
    So, fallow the link, once there, do a "look Inside" search for the word "Javelin", or "pg.150", in the book, (especially see pg.151)
    My Javelin butt spike is a perfect match of the 2nd javelon set on the right side of the photo on page 151 .

http://http//books.google.com/books?...avelin&f=false

See my "Javelin plans" below attachment.

Here are some scriptural references!
    (The third one is the best by far)

1 Samuel 18:7-11
    7 And the women answered one another as they played, and said, Saul hath slain his thousands, and David his ten thousands. 8 And Saul was very wroth, and the saying displeased him; and he said, They have ascribed unto David ten thousands, and to me they have ascribed but thousands: and what can he have more but the kingdom? 9 And Saul eyed David from that day and forward. 10 And it came to pass on the morrow, that the evil spirit from God came upon Saul, and he prophesied in the midst of the house: and David played with his hand, as at other times: and there was a javelin in Saul's hand. 11 And Saul cast the javelin; for he said, I will smite David even to the wall with it. And David avoided out of his presence twice.

1 Samuel 19:8-10
    8 And there was war again: and David went out, and fought with the Philistines, and slew them with a great slaughter; and they fled from him. 9 And the evil spirit from the LORD was upon Saul, as he sat in his house with his javelin in his hand: and David played with his hand. 10 And Saul sought to smite David even to the wall with the javelin; but he slipped away out of Saul's presence, and he smote the javelin into the wall: and David fled, and escaped that night.

2 samuel 2:20-23
    20 Then Abner looked behind him and said, "Are you Asahel?" He answered, "I am." 21 And Abner said to him, "Turn aside to your right hand or to your left, and lay hold on one of the young men and take his armor for yourself." But Asahel would not turn aside from following him. 22 So Abner said again to Asahel, "Turn aside from following me. Why should I strike you to the ground? How then could I face your brother Joab?" 23 However, he refused to turn aside. Therefore Abner struck him in the stomach with the butt end of the javelin, so that the spear came out of his back; and he fell down there and died on the spot. So it was that as many as came to the place where Asahel fell down and died, they stood still.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Steadfast; 4th January 2010 at 20:27. Reason: misspelling
    - God's Walky Talky

"L A N . . A S T A S L E M"
    I will NOT submit to islam!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
    Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Congrats that is so awesome.. about all I have anywhere near that old is some Nabitian coins APMEX was unloading at a discount.. humble though they may be, I have been known to pull them out at church, puff up a little and show them off.

To me, what is impressive, is that you know your stuff well enough to catch a misidentification and score a deal. Good Work.
    Hi Ho Silver ... Away

Hey, you give me too much credit,
    I too was fooled at first...
    I too thought it was a Maccabean spearhead.

but unlike the atheist antiquities dealer that sold it to me, who subsequently, flagrantly could care less about Israeli artifacts, I care enough about God and His people to research such things.

Especially after I buy one of them.

I would like to see your coins...
    You should post some pictures of them here...
    - God's Walky Talky

Edmund Burke 1729-1797

off topic...
    Last edited by Steadfast; 21st December 2009 at 21:07.
    - God's Walky Talky

Edmund Burke 1729-1797

FORGING UPDATE:

I have now acquired some “907 bronze” and the use of a local black smith’s forge.
    We have already hand forged the Spear Head and the Butt Spike to exact dimensions in steel to build a “throwing” model.

The only thing that we are having problems with, is “WORKING” the (10% tin, 90% copper) bronze!
    We tried cold forging it. (hammer & anvil) just to watch it crack and fall apart after only 3 strokes. We worked it Hot (hammer & anvil) and it fell apart like it was glowing clay. We tried to anneal it and work it (hammer & anvil) with zero success.
    We cast bars of it and quenched it at different intervals to reduce the “crystallization” in the bronze. The best we got was 6 strokes before structural failure.

Our next step will be to create originals out of hardened clay and “sand caste” them. Unless, I get more accurate information on how to work this bizaar metal from the "Experimental Archaeologist" I have contacted about this problem...
    Last edited by Steadfast; 21st December 2009 at 21:08.
    - God's Walky Talky

Edmund Burke 1729-1797

FORGING UPDATE:

Yup! the bronze age "experimental archeologists" from England confirmed that My 907Bronze is "Bronze Age" correct! and that the only way to work it that they know of is to cast it and to SLOWLY work it with small bronze hammers, anealing it over and over again after every 5 hammer strikes. YIKES!

So, we ordered a bigger crucible and some casting sand.

And I spent the week making a casting original of the spear head and the but spike; by staring at the Museum photos in my book, hand forming two exact 3D replicas of each in "Sculpy" oven-hardening clay.

OK, So, this weekend, because we are still waiting on the casting sand and the bigger crucible to arrive in the mail, so we can cast the bronze pieces, my friend with the forge called off his services and went to a Glass Enamaling class instead... I can't blaim him it was freezing outside with freezing rain falling all day... yuk!

So, I visited various Hardware stores, where I figuired out how thick the copper wire was that was used to wrap the ends of the javelin, securing both tip to the shaft. I did this by looking at the wire marks embeaded in my 3000 year old original artifact, the copper binding wire's thickness was easily rediscovered. The wire turned out to be 14 gauge.

None of my local hardware stores had any 14 gauge solid wire...
    But after persistantly driving around, I finally found a roll of 14 guage solid copper wire at an "Agri Supply"

Then I ordered some "Brewers Pitch" from "Townsen & Son, Inc." on line.
    "Brewer's Pitch" is a colonial name for "Ceder Pitch", which the ancient world used as a wood glue made from boiled down cedar sap. It is a light brown tar that when heated turns into a super sticky liquid which is then applied like wood glue and when it cools, it also dries, become a solid again.

Brewers/Cedar Pitch was also widely used through out history and in almost every culture on earth as a glue and also to line barrels and wooden drinking vessles, making them air tight...
    (Hinse the colonial name "brewer's" Pitch)

Even Noah was believed to have use caedar pitch when he built the ark to make it sea worthy. And yes, it is what King David's weapon smiths also used to glue together the javelin shaft. (a boring weekend to be sure, but we took yet another few steps forward.)

Here is a link to a video of brewer's pitch being heated and used to water tight a colonial drinking vessle:
    http://jas-townsend.com/product_info...roducts_id=373
    Last edited by Steadfast; 21st December 2009 at 21:11.
    - God's Walky Talky

Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Project Update

Well, we are getting closer...
    Last Saturday we spent all day preparing the box that hold the casting sand and we heat treated the crucible.

Finally, we actually manage to do a "first pour" of the Javelin head.
    here is the picture:

This first pour had way to many flaws to even think of keeping it.

1st, the "sprew" (pour spout) was so immense that there is way too much material at the base of the spear head. making the process of grinding it down an insane time waste.

2nd, some of the sand fell into the end of the point making the tip hollow, which ripped apart during the initial wire wheel clean up.

3rd, air bubbles caused the bronze to not flow into important parts of the project, making huge gaps. In the picture you can see an air bubble in the center of the spear head. (it appears as a lighter color) but in reality there is no bronze there at all.

We will try several more pours Saturday after next.
    Last edited by Steadfast; 8th June 2011 at 11:31.
    - God's Walky Talky

Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Project update

Making Biblical Glue:

My research dictated that the Davidic Javelin had a 3 cubit long Ash wood shaft roughly 1 thick in the middle to roughly ½ inch thick on both ends. This shaft was split and glued together with “a cedar pitch based glue”. That’s it! That’s all! There was nothing else regarding the properties of this glue. So, I purchased brewer’s pitch, used it as wood glue, and found that it was easily broken with very little twisting.

Historically, these javelins where sent home with the Israeli veterans who survived war. These veterans used their javelins as home defense weapons and to help out with village law enforcement issues. In fact, these javelins where so important to the personal identity of the Davidic Dynasty War Veterans, that many of them where buried with their javelins. This means that the javelin was not a "one use" disposable weapon but one that stood the test of time. Thus, the type of pitch used to glue these things MUST have been stronger then my raw pine brewer's pitch.

So, it was research time, again. The result took a week of research to put together. After looking into the chemical breakdowns of several ancient “Pitch” based Glues that where archeologically discovered through out the world, but mostly around the Eastern Mediterranean area, two pieces of data were repeated in every report. First, there was general amazement that such a powerful glue could exist as early as 36,000 years ago in Israel, and that out of all four ingredients, three basic ingredients where almost always the same.

These three ingredients where always cedar/pine pitch, finely ground ash powder, and beeswax. The fourth ingredient was any type of chemical binder the local environment could produce. Remember King David lived 3000 years ago. This same type glue was made by the Egyptians at least 4000 yeas ago. Beeswax, tree pitches (a dark sticky substance made from trees) and bitumen (a natural substance that contains hydrocarbons. i.e. coal) were used as protective coatings and adhesives which where also used by Neolithic man in materials found inside a Nahal Hemar cave, in a dry region southwest of the Dead Sea.

The Ma'agan Mikhael shipwreck was discovered in 1985 in shallow waters of the Mediterranean coast of Israel. The ship was dated to 500 BC. and was glued together with what was analyzed as a conifer resin, This ash and sap resin had undergone thermal treatment and should be properly referred to as 'tar' or 'pitch'. Finally, Analysis of Roman glue shows that Roman Republic (200-10 BC) was made glue from bitumen (binder), bark pitch and animal grease (providing flex). When Roman people broke their pots, they glued them back together with a black compound derived largely from birch bark pitch, some inorganic material such as soot, was added to make the mixture stickier.

This conifer based pitch glue could be mixed differently to achieve different results. Ancient Israeli people used this stuff to repair broken things. It was also mixed to dry hard to work as a wood glue and actually mixed soft to be used to make super gummy, glue sticks, which where used for hunting to take down birds by merely throwing it at them. Hunting birds by Glue sticks is not mentioned in the bible, However it was off handedly referenced in the Talmud.. the use of “Sticky sticks” was not allowed on the Sabbath (Saturday)...to put glue on tip of Shabshebet (stick or branch) was considered labor...(Sabbath,VIII, 7). In another case putting glue... In order to put on cane tip of hunters... was considered labor and thus made taboo.(Sabbath, LXXX, 1) .

The fourth ingredient was the chemical binding element, which had to be deciduous to the Israeli area, and historically used around King David’s time to combine powders and liquids together to form many different products. I chose to use Gum Arabic and here is why.

The uses of Gum Arabic date back about 5000 years to the time of the ancient Egyptians, and it is the oldest and best known of all the natural gums. Among its many ancient applications, Gum Acacia was used as a binder in cosmetics and inks, and as an agent mixed with resins (conifer pitch) to make substances used in the mummification process. Egyptian fleets shipped Gum Arabic (Gum Acacia) as an article of commerce. Ancient inscriptions frequently refer to "KAMI", a form of Gum Acacia used as a pigment binder, a binder for mixing glue, and adhesive in painting. It was eventually introduced to Europe through various Arabian ports acquiring the name "Gum Arabic" after its place of origin.

Thanks to Dr. Gerard P. Michon (Numericana) for suggesting the use of Gum Arabic as a key additive in the recipe. http://www.numericana.com/answer/chemistry.htm#gum

So, as a Christian, who is not tied by the law to the Sabbath,
    Last Saturday, my sister in law and I stepped outside my home into the freezing weather and set up our glue making station. We set up a large space heater, some chairs, on a table made of a wide plank of wood on some cinder blocks, we set up my coin scale and a “Hobo Stove” made from a paint can, with wire hanger rods making a grill in the top and with a triangular hole cut in the side.

Instead of a butane camp stove we used this simple “Hobo Stove” because it was invaluable for 3 reasons.
    One, the stove was warm, and it was COLD outside!
    Two, the stove was easily made hot enough to melt the ingredients.
    Three, because it burned wood as fuel, it also produced the ash we needed for the project.

We started out by rolling out a sheet of wax paper onto our make shift table and set out my small bottle of liquid Gum Arabic. We then burned my Cedar of Lebanon resin cones to ash. (Yup, I actually hand gathered these from a Cedar of Lebanon found in a private garden, grown right here in the Raleigh Area.) We then ground this ash with a mortis and pezil into a super fine powder. We then broke up the beeswax into smaller pieces to better be added, by weight, to the mixture.

While the ash was being produced I heated up my small pot of Brewers Pitch (Pine Resin) and brought it to a mild boil. We then kept it at a liquid temperature by leaving it on the space heater so we could use the hobo stove for the actual Glue mixing process.

Since I am gluing an “ash wood” javelin shaft together, we broke up a 1 inch X ½ inch piece of ash wood into multiple sticks to test the glues strength at each stage of the mix until we arrived at the optimal mix.

The first mix was heated and combined without any Arabic Gum added to the mixture. When we poured out the mix, on the wax paper and waited for it to cool into a putty, the ash made a pile in the middle, and the beeswax/pitch separated and oozed away from the ash like egg white flows from the egg yoke in a pan…NOT good and not strong either. (maybe 2x as strong as pine pitch alone)

When we added in just .10 ounces of Arabic Gum into the reheated mixture, there was a violent foaming reaction much like pouring root beer over ice cream but explosive to the second power. When we poured out this second mix the ash was evenly mixed in and further broken down. When it cooled down enough to handle on the wax paper and applied to the wood, we found this mix dried none sticky and that it was 5 times stronger then the fist batch. As the glue pour cooled, I hand rolled it into rods. However, in its fully cooled state I dropped one of these rods and it shattered like glass. (Also not good, because the javelin glue needed to be resilient to shocks and blows in combat and if it broke like glass this was not it.)

We talked about the need for the glue to be more flexible yet still dry non-sticky. I pondered this problem and the nature of each of ingredient’s individual properties and I nailed the mix on the third try!

This time, I doubled the beeswax to add flexibility and softness. Before, when we added to .10oz. of Gum Arabic we learned that the ash was broken down and better mixed into the glue. So, I tripled it, and to lessen the reaction, I added it in earlier in the heating process. When I poured this batch, it flowed thick and smooth, like black milk. There where zero ash grains and it rolled easily into rods that where much more flexible, did not shatter and just barely sticky when dry. These glue rods could be heated with a lighter and spread onto the wood like “modern hot glue” does. Best of all the glue was twice again as strong as the second batch and when I finally broke the bond by force, the wood ripped apart before the bond did.

The only changes that I would make is to adjust the down the amount of beeswax by half an ounce less if you live in a warmer climate then North Carolina, so you can optimize strength and reduce flexibility due to heat.

The final recipe for Biblical Glue (measured by weight) is as fallows:

.30 ounce of Gum Arabic (native to Egypt , India and Israeli area)
    5 ounces of clean, dry pitch pine resin (native to Israeli area)
    2 ounces of pure beeswax (native to Israeli area)
    1 ounce of fine ground plant ash/charcoal (finely ground Cedar of Lebanon ash)

Stay tuned: Next Saturday We recast the bronze!
    Last edited by Steadfast; 12th January 2010 at 12:04.
    - God's Walky Talky

Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Forging Update!

The forging part of this project is done!
    WOOOOHOOO!

Once I had taken into account, adding in small air tubes to drain out the air bubbles that flawed our first pour, and added a "falling sand catching" catch chamber at the very bottom of both sand casting patterns, both of my bronze pours this week end where excellent!

Here is a picture of me picking up bronze chunks to put into white hot crucible...

Dropping the bronze into the crucible... "focus...focus...careful....careful..."

Pouring the bronze! Check out my goofy church shoes!
    (This was on suday after church and I forgot my sneekers)

A picture of the molten bronze cooling down!
    Last edited by Steadfast; 8th June 2011 at 11:41.
    - God's Walky Talky

Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Successful butt spike pour still in casting sand!

Successful Javelin Head pour still in casting sand!

Javelin head before clean up!
    notice the "falling sand catching" chamber at the tip of the javelin.

FINALLY.... Here it is cleaned up and shinny!

Now that I have all the parts!

Next up:
    the assembly of the javelin!!!
    Last edited by Steadfast; 8th June 2011 at 11:41.
    - God's Walky Talky

Edmund Burke 1729-1797