Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Does anyone clean their Pre 1965 Silver Coins? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone clean their Pre 1965 Silver Coins?

If you're selling 90% circulated junk silver with their value based 100% on silver content, I can't see the harm in some mild soap or baking soda and water cleaning methods. Shiny coins look nicer on ebay and hurts no one.

If you're selling numismatically valued coins and talking rare dates and MS ratings etc., then you are committing FRAUD.

Rick

So why did I clean the 1880 Morgan ?? Because it was grungy looking. Now it still looks old but it looks like it is more valuable than what I paid for it.

Default Does anyone clean their Pre 1965 Silver C

I apologise, but, in my opinion, you are not right. I am assured. Let's discuss it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default interesting comment about electrolytic cleaning LOL

Default Found One I Like

I bought a product today and tried it out on some 10 ozers...thought it worked pretty well.

Hagerty silversmiths polish. i don't have much pre '65 junk 90%...so I'm not sure it's worth the effort to clean such a small amount....I might get bored and give it a go perhaps...now that i have a product that seems pretty ok.

Curiosity will not kill this Cat!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow, a Coors Light Silver Bullet bar.

I wonder if they had thought to make a 12 ouncer?

I wonder if they ever made any regular Coors gold bars?

Default Forgotten Sentimental

Yeah, I had forgotten about that bar....it has some strange relevance to my past and my early education in the "fun" with women category.

Sunshine Mining put out alot of specialty pieces back in the day. Out of curiosity, I should ask my friends to do some checking and see if they kept some sort of records concerning the different pieces that they put out in their history. Perhaps there's some others that I should keep a look out for.

Curiosity will not kill this Cat!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lightbulb marketing idea for when silver gets hot

Cleaning my Junk

Cleaning my Junk #2

Each "war nickel" contains 1.75 grams (0.056 ozt) of pure silver.

After cleaning, they'll get just as mirror shiny as the other junk.
    When silver gets to $100 a gram, then these pieces will be worth $175 each.
    Right now APMEX sells the rolls for 19 cents over spot!!!
    Each 20 coin roll has 35 grams of silver!!!
    $14.76 + $0.19= $14.95
    $14.95 x 35 / 31.1 = $16.82
    It is very hard to beat that price for fractional silver.!
    My plan is to use them as incentives or bonuses for larger purchases at the online local flea markets.

Example listing...

PATRIOTIC AND COIN THEMED ONE GRAM ROUNDS

3🌟 per 1g round (random design), 20🌟 for a bag of 10 rounds with no duplicates.
    Buy three bags of 10 one gram rounds and receive a genuine U.S. "war nickel"
    containing 1.75 grams of silver to round out the ounce. 😉

"I foresee little future in 'the price of silver', I see a huge future for 'the price in silver'." - heartbone
    "The truth is called hate by those who hate the truth." - K

Cool War nickels, the funkiest of junk.

I went through the $3 face of war nickels and I got lucky,
    because out of the 60 coins I was able to make the complete set with no overly worn nickels.
    A set worth as much as a whole $1 roll.

https://www.amazon.com/1942-1945-War.../dp/B0088YWAOO
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/JEFFERSON-S...MAAOSwcldUaEsv

I won't be cleaning those 11 because collectors like their coins dirty.

I'll probably get another 3 rolls in a few months, and I doubt that I'll be as lucky,
    so I'm tempted to not clean these, and wait and try to make another set using these and the next 3 rolls.
    However being impatient, I'll most likely put the remaining 49 are into the Tarn-X and tumble double coin cleaning cycle.
    "I foresee little future in 'the price of silver', I see a huge future for 'the price in silver'." - heartbone
    "The truth is called hate by those who hate the truth." - K

Quote Originally Posted by silverheartbone View Post

I went through the $3 face of war nickels and I got lucky,
    because out of the 60 coins I was able to make the complete set with no overly worn nickels.
    A set worth as much as a whole $1 roll.

https://www.amazon.com/1942-1945-War.../dp/B0088YWAOO
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/JEFFERSON-S...MAAOSwcldUaEsv

I won't be cleaning those 11 because collectors like their coins dirty.

I'll probably get another 3 rolls in a few months, and I doubt that I'll be as lucky,
    so I'm tempted to not clean these, and wait and try to make another set using these and the next 3 rolls.
    However being impatient, I'll most likely put the remaining 49 are into the Tarn-X and tumble double coin cleaning cycle.
    Honestly you know 40% half dollars are basically the scurge of the junk silver world bring in substantialy less per ounce than 90%. Why would you suggest buying tiny 35% nickels which have even less appeal for almost everyone? Realistically the less Silver content the less desireable anything will be. If you can't get the Silver out yourself, what good is it? And If people are testing coins for it's purity, these mixed coins might be a real problem. I'm of the opinion that if people have to deal with precious metals, it's going to be a steep learning curve and pure Silver and Gold will probably be the most widely excepted items for some period of time, with 90% following. Going to lesser grades like 40% halves and trying to use a Silver war nickel would be much harder, especially the war nickel as it looks just like a regular nickel. I'm betting short of a total disaster it wouldn't be more than a year or so and a new currency or the old one would come back into play requiring less and less Silver to be used. I just don't know where everyone is going to get the Gold and Silver to use for buying and trading. Most likely only those with Gold and Silver will be able to buy new at a store while everyone else will be forced to barter with those that have the means to buy new goods, meaning it would cost you more one way or another. Stores can't very welll buy replacement goods wiith used furniture,cows and sheeps for the most part.

You have to acknowledge the roll stores would still play in a topsie turvie world since the vast majority of people would run out of food in a couple weeks after they ate the last can of green beans while some others would be starving within a couple days. Some could stretch it out for maybe a month because of a freezer full of food. But they all depend on stores to furnish them replacement goods. So there will be a continued need for that service even if it's a very limited supply and extremely expensive to help pay for all the armed guards. And you think you'll be growing food in your backyard. No food stamp program for the needy as almost everyone is the needy. If you don't already have it, hum, better figure out how to hang on to it. I'm so glad I don't think like you expecting this to happen to me, it would bug the hell out of me. Yes I'm prepared for all kinds of crap that might happen and more, but more so because I can easily afford to versus spending money for life that could or should be spent on other things. If I was a true hard core, I'd probably have an underground bunker built that was hidden from within my house. But I'm not so I'll take my chances.
    Last edited by valerb; 24th August 2018 at 17:38.
    I'm a proud member of Eggshellman's Liar, Shill, and bully club and a new member of the Super Jew Defense League!!!