Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19
Does anyone clean their Pre 1965 Silver Coins?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 48

Thread: Does anyone clean their Pre 1965 Silver Coins?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    26

    Smile Does anyone clean their Pre 1965 Silver Coins?

    I'm kinda 50/50 on the subject of cleaning older silver coins. I understand that their historical value depends on the aged tarnish and dirt, however, when properly cleaned many coins will be more attractive to buyers who cannot tell it was cleaned and may think it's been preserved in brilliant condition.

    When using abrasive cleaners which leave "swirl marks" or light scratches on the coin, it's obviously no good, but what about Ultra-Sonic cleaners and non abrasives which polish up and clean the coin without damaging it?

    I'd like to hear your input on this.


    Thanks!
    What is that, which sees through the eyes of your body and notices change?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    936

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Viola View Post
    I'm kinda 50/50 on the subject of cleaning older silver coins. I understand that their historical value depends on the aged tarnish and dirt, however, when properly cleaned many coins will be more attractive to buyers who cannot tell it was cleaned and may think it's been preserved in brilliant condition.

    When using abrasive cleaners which leave "swirl marks" or light scratches on the coin, it's obviously no good, but what about Ultra-Sonic cleaners and non abrasives which polish up and clean the coin without damaging it?

    I'd like to hear your input on this.


    Thanks!
    It is practically impossible to clean a coin without leaving evidence. Unless you are certain you will be selling to the general, uneducated public, I wouldn't, because anyone experienced with coins is going to be able to tell.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    910

    Default

    Hey.. they are your coins.. you can certainly clean them if you want...Nothing wrong in wanting clean or shiny coins...

    However it is wrong to try and decieve somebody delibertly in order to take their money or get them to pay more for something that isn't actually worth more. If you clean the coins be up front about it... the experts can tell anyway.. if you are hionest and upfront folks will just think you are some noob that thinks shiny coins are better, maybe worth more .. and maybe some other noobs will agtee and pay more... but if you try and be sly about it..the experenced stackers and collectors will think you are a fraud or a crook, maybe just a real jerk, and you will have sold your good name and reputation for whatever pittance you might have scamed from some noob.

    My opinion is, anybody thinking this is alright to do , and just wanting a little input ffrom other stackers to tell them it is alright to do is probably just a jerk who really knows better.
    Hi Ho Silver ... Away

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLoneRanger View Post
    Hey.. they are your coins.. you can certainly clean them if you want...Nothing wrong in wanting clean or shiny coins...

    However it is wrong to try and decieve somebody delibertly in order to take their money or get them to pay more for something that isn't actually worth more. If you clean the coins be up front about it... the experts can tell anyway.. if you are hionest and upfront folks will just think you are some noob that thinks shiny coins are better, maybe worth more .. and maybe some other noobs will agtee and pay more... but if you try and be sly about it..the experenced stackers and collectors will think you are a fraud or a crook, maybe just a real jerk, and you will have sold your good name and reputation for whatever pittance you might have scamed from some noob.

    My opinion is, anybody thinking this is alright to do , and just wanting a little input ffrom other stackers to tell them it is alright to do is probably just a jerk who really knows better.

    I agree with you about the deception part, it's wrong. However, have you ever seen the more expensive shipwreck coins and how they are cleaned prior to sales? These coins can be worth over a million dollars each, yet they use special techniques to clean them and make them more attractive to buyers.

    So I think there is an aspect to properly cleaning coins which avoids devaluating their historical value and preserves the face from damage. This is what I am trying to understand. At which point are cleaned coins accepted at no hit to the value?
    What is that, which sees through the eyes of your body and notices change?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    910

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Viola View Post
    I agree with you about the deception part, it's wrong. However, have you ever seen the more expensive shipwreck coins and how they are cleaned prior to sales? These coins can be worth over a million dollars each, yet they use special techniques to clean them and make them more attractive to buyers.

    So I think there is an aspect to properly cleaning coins which avoids devaluating their historical value and preserves the face from damage. This is what I am trying to understand. At which point are cleaned coins accepted at no hit to the value?
    Oh, Thats easy.. when it is done by a skilled museum qualified art restorer and is done upfront and advertised as such.
    Hi Ho Silver ... Away

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLoneRanger View Post
    Oh, Thats easy.. when it is done by a skilled museum qualified art restorer and is done upfront and advertised as such.
    So if a regular person would apply the same restoration techniques and the same disclosure then the coin shouldn't loose value in your opinion? Or is the value only there when some organization with an appropriate "title" does it?
    What is that, which sees through the eyes of your body and notices change?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    267

    Default

    There are rules. If it is a numismatic coin, never clean it. It if is not, clean away till your heart's content.
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    910

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Viola View Post
    So if a regular person would apply the same restoration techniques and the same disclosure then the coin shouldn't loose value in your opinion? Or is the value only there when some organization with an appropriate "title" does it?
    If you have the background and experience to judge and differenitate superior quality cleaning and restoration from extraordinaryly exqusite work then I say it could add or at least not detract from value if you have the skills to pull it off yourself..
    See this is the problem ... some floks hack up a collectable military rifle to make a bubba deer rifle, and some turn them into extraordinary works of art and function,.. the former ruins any collectable value the latter creates a collectable that stands on it's own.

    You can try... but don't feel hurt if critical, trained, and experinced eyes do not hold your first efforts in high esteem.

    it is all about the level of craftsmanship and that is what gets the high dollar talent and knowledge those titles.
    Hi Ho Silver ... Away

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    358

    Default

    Don't clean, not worth it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    208

    Default

    I have cleaned a few for the fun of it. And I did it with extreme prejudice which entails baking soda as an abrasive. Scratches or no, that dime was prolly never that shiny.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •