Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 134

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Breaking: UNEMPLOYMENT TO REACH 50% By 2018 and 100% By 2029!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breaking: UNEMPLOYMENT TO REACH 50% By 2018 and 100% By 2029!

Jake is offline Silver Seeker Senior Member Site Admin

Default Breaking: UNEMPLOYMENT TO REACH 50% By 2018 and 100% By 2029!

``````````````
    Last edited by Jake; 11th March 2010 at 11:17.

At that rate we would never make it past 2018 anyway.

Default It Didn't Work For Me, Either

I was hanging out under the parabola with a linear curve, heavily utilizing, and just as I was about to introduce my single variable, I bifurcated all over the place.

That's calculus for ya!
    “Most of our so-called reasoning consists in finding arguments for going on believing as we already do.”
    - James Harvey Robinson

"The more we convince others, the more we convince ourselves."
    - The Tongue and Quill

cowboycarl04 is offline Silver Seeker Senior Member Site Admin

I can see the headlines for 2028 now.

"Unemployment up to 99.5%. Only 1 Walmart per Congressional District now open 24 hours to serve everyone's needs... BETTER THAN EXPECTED"

The sad thing, Obama would actually love it if unemployment numbers were that high.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycarl04 View Post
    I can see the headlines for 2028 now.

"Unemployment up to 99.5%. Only 1 Walmart per Congressional District now open 24 hours to serve everyone's needs... BETTER THAN EXPECTED"
    With my Luck, I'd be the only who would have to get up early and go to work,
    while the rest of you were sleeping in, and i'd be working at walmart
    Bummer

Exclamation reality check

I believe some company just laid off another 8000 workers. I heared over the radio today as I was on my way home. How can the stock market be doing so well if there is no MFG going on or exports? I also hear the stockmarket is going to do well the next six months, but many of you here say sept/oct crash Im very interested in seeing how things pan out how about you ladies & gentlemen?

Seeing as how the world ends in 2012 anyway according to some its a moot point
    "I know where Daddy keeps his Silver Shhhhhh"(I loves my precious hehehe)

At least the OP understands the limitations of linear extrapolation! Some people do this in all seriousness.

But seriously, unemployment will continue to rise. How can it not? As people max out their credit cards and drain their retirement accounts, they stop eating out and other unnecessary expenses. As this happens the service sector "trims" down.

Eventually China and other vendors will cut off our credit and so manufacturing jobs will return to the US, but they will be minimum wage jobs - and if the popular outrage doesn't increase, those jobs will be filled by illegals working at half the minimum wage.

Of course, if things pan out as I expect and the US tries to inflate it's way out of medicare and other obligations, $7.25 an hour for 8 hours will just be enough to buy low end food for 4 people for one day.

That's an improvement over the iron law of wages, which says unskilled labor will eventually reach a pay level that is just enough to buy food for the laborer for one day. (which is pretty close to unskilled wages in China).

Keep stacking silver if you got dry powder (which I don't).

Quote Originally Posted by Daphne64 View Post
    That's an improvement over the iron law of wages, which says unskilled labor will eventually reach a pay level that is just enough to buy food for the laborer for one day. (which is pretty close to unskilled wages in China).
    I've never heard of this iron law of wages before, and I'm a bit of a historian. It makes sense mathematically, after all, why work for anyone if the wages won't even feed you. Owe your life to the company store even as you work for them. Could you give me some references, some historical examples and context please?

As I have studied it, daily wages for an unskilled worker in the US today seem to be about 6-8 times what a person can live on with food alone for a day. So if you live in a tent or cardboard box, 1 laborer can support 7 nonlaborers. Mind you, this is bad food and nothing else, not even toilet paper.

Direct references are frustratingly elusive.
    Last edited by Argyria; 28th July 2009 at 12:40.