Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Yet Another Trillion-Dollar Unfunded Liability: WHY California Is Burning

Thread: Yet Another Trillion-Dollar Unfunded Liability: WHY California Is Burning

Default Yet Another Trillion-Dollar Unfunded Liability: WHY California Is Burning

The apocalyptic fires that hit California last month have left observers scratching their heads and wondering how destruction on that scale could be possible – and how much it will cost in the future if the causes aren’t addressed immediately.
    This morning’s Wall Street Journal concludes that 1) the problems aren’t being addressed and 2) this failure is going to cost a fortune that no government is prepared to cover (emphasis added below).

Why Californians Were Drawn Toward the Fire Zones

Building codes, state grants and low insurance rates have encouraged people to flee expensive cities for their dangerously fire-prone fringes.

A Nov. 15 view in Paradise, Calif., above, shows charred remains of houses among the trees after the Camp Fire burned down more than 11,000 homes. PHOTO: CAROLYN COLE/LOS ANGELES TIMES/GETTY IMAGES

The historically deadly wildfires that have roared through California this fall, and a string of similarly destructive ones over the past two years, are boosting calls to do more to slow climate change. But another underlying problem has contributed to the fires’ tragic damage: For decades, California, supposedly the greenest of states, has artificially lowered the cost of encroaching on nature by living in the woods.

Permissive building codes, low insurance rates and soaring taxpayer spending on firefighting and other services have provided an economic framework that has encouraged people to flee the state’s increasingly expensive cities for their leafy fringes. The forested exurbs, including places once thought too hilly or too dry to develop safely, have offered comparatively affordable living with jaw-dropping views.

The upshot: More houses have been packed into the fire-prone border between civilization and forest—known among planners as the “wildland-urban interface,” or WUI—in California than in any other state.

This problem isn’t restricted to California’s woodland. Along the coasts, loose building standards and easy federal flood insurance have socialized the costs of building in the path of worsening storms and rising sea levels. It is time, in the parlance of classical economics, to internalize the long-externalized costs of building in the trees or by the beach.

California, both a bellwether of aggressive environmental policy and a pioneer of suburban sprawl, typifies the problem. For years, Cal Fire, the state wildfire-fighting agency, has been spending increasing sums to put out wildfires, as has the U.S. Forest Service. Already by 2006, according to an audit, most of the money the forest service was spending to put out large fires was “directly linked to protecting private property” in the wildland-urban interface.

Meanwhile, at public cost, government has been encouraging more development by pushing infrastructure—roads, utilities, rescue services—ever farther into the forest.

http://news.goldseek.com/DollarCollapse/1544369829.php
    I'm a proud member of Eggshellman's Liar, Shill, and bully club and a new member of the Super Jew Defense League!!!

Angry Sheeple are the dumb majority which is why America is doomed.

Dude, open your eyes and try to use your brain.

Forest fires can't burn homes to the ground without black soot.
    Forest fires can't melt tubs and stoves and refrigerators and glass and turn granite counter tops to white dust.

Forest fires will always burn trees.

Vale, why are you sleeple so freaking stupid?
    "I foresee little future in 'the price of silver', I see a huge future for 'the price in silver'." - heartbone
    "The truth is called hate by those who hate the truth." - K

Quote Originally Posted by silverheartbone View Post

Forest fires can't melt tubs and stoves and refrigerators and glass and turn granite counter tops to white dust.

That's an interesting concept, black soot. I thought it was simply fire spreading from close proximity to the inferno as in things like a burning tree falling on your home or probably the most common cause of a wild fire spreading throughout any city or village, simply red hot embers from another burning structure in close proximity. Of course a raging Forrest fire driven by high winds might provide such an ideal opportunity for devistating destruction to any flamable structures such as, well someones home or even their automobile with enough heat allied to it. I don't think anyone actually believes that forest fire burned that city to the ground, this isn't a fairy tale about some small wooden cottage in the woods that burned to the ground. The forest fire simply brought the fire to the city and let the homes destroy themselves once a fire was ignited in or around the homes. Once the homes caught fire, we'll it's game over unil it burns to the ground with no interference from outside forces. That's the way of home fires, they are filled with and constructed with flamable materials. That provides the actual heat source to consume just about any and everything in them. You see a tree is not a house on fire, it will burn up rather quickly as far as it's highest heat source, unlike a house that starts in one location and continues to spread until the entire home is a raging inferno and burns itself and everything in it to the ground with the few exception like a brick chimney which is brick and doesn't burn, but is not immune to damage from the intense heat.

So you are correct it's not the forest fire that destroyed that city, the forest fire only provided the source of flames and red hot ambers that help ignite the carnage.

However you are giving me far to much credit for providing this article to our forum members.

The dude's you should be thanking for being so stupid are actually the owners and managers of this forum Peter and Chris who actually own GoldSeek and SilverSeek for allowing such articles to be published on their web pages. My involvement has only been to help keep this forum from becoming a place a historical documents and articles after Chris discontinued posting articles from their actual Web pages on our forum. I do not post articles of my choice from wherever I may find them on the internet. The only time you will see anything of mine will be as a secondary posting comment to an article from their web pages or in the case of someone posting something in this section for articles instead of in one of the other forum options.

For the most part I do "not" read the articles I post from their web pages as I do not care to dedicate my life to maintaining this forum as a member. I only dedicate part of it to provide some things that people might be interested in throughout the year, such as the dealer sales page and the US Mint daily updates of ASE shipments, which is kind of a strange name to call it on their web site as they post their numbers so seldom even though I still check it nearly ever week day of the year. However it still takes a lot of time just to post a single article, I do have to browse though it to see if it has any content that might be of interest at all. So many are related to mining investments and you can't tell from the heading or other metals like lead and copper and nothing but the stock market. It's a lot of articles to leaf through and you know what it takes to copy a heading from one site to another, then part of the article and then the actual link. So your jumping back and forth between two pages to post a single article. I do not post links to articles as some people and expect them to go blindly to find out something about the article without at least posting part of the article for member to decide for themselves before wasting their time.

Keep in mind these are not my articles of choice off the jnternet, but articles provided by the owners and managers of this forum of which I am not part of, I am just a long time member trying to help keep the SilverSeek "forum" alive and a place for "some" potentially valuable information especially for newer member who might be looking for more than a history lesson or someone's opinion.
    I'm a proud member of Eggshellman's Liar, Shill, and bully club and a new member of the Super Jew Defense League!!!

Thumbs up I hope that you will get therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by valerb View Post
    That's an interesting concept, black soot.
    Not really, it's actually redundant, which I knew as I typed it specifically for your special low intellect.

soot \"sut, "set, "sut\ n : a fine black powder consisting chiefly of carbon that is formed when something burns and that colors smoke — sooty adj

The dude's you should be thanking for being so stupid are actually the owners and managers of this forum Peter and Chris who actually own GoldSeek and SilverSeek for allowing such articles to be published on their web pages. My involvement has only been to help keep this forum from becoming a place a historical documents and articles after Chris discontinued posting articles from their actual Web pages on our forum. I do not post articles of my choice from wherever I may find them on the internet. The only time you will see anything of mine will be as a secondary posting comment to an article from their web pages or in the case of someone posting something in this section for articles instead of in one of the other forum options.

For the most part I do "not" read the articles I post from their web pages as I do not care to dedicate my life to maintaining this forum as a member. I only dedicate part of it to provide some things that people might be interested in throughout the year, such as the dealer sales page and the US Mint daily updates of ASE shipments, which is kind of a strange name to call it on their web site as they post their numbers so seldom even though I still check it nearly ever week day of the year. However it still takes a lot of time just to post a single article, I do have to browse though it to see if it has any content that might be of interest at all. So many are related to mining investments and you can't tell from the heading or other metals like lead and copper and nothing but the stock market. It's a lot of articles to leaf through and you know what it takes to copy a heading from one site to another, then part of the article and then the actual link. So your jumping back and forth between two pages to post a single article. I do not post links to articles as some people and expect them to go blindly to find out something about the article without at least posting part of the article for member to decide for themselves before wasting their time.

Keep in mind these are not my articles of choice off the jnternet, but articles provided by the owners and managers of this forum of which I am not part of, I am just a long time member trying to help keep the SilverSeek "forum" alive and a place for "some" potentially valuable information especially for newer member who might be looking for more than a history lesson or someone's opinion.
    No one should be thanked for being like you.

Here Vale, let me share a cartoon that specifically reminded me of you.

Bigfoot used me to have a Baby, Grown man cries
    "I foresee little future in 'the price of silver', I see a huge future for 'the price in silver'." - heartbone

Not really, it's actually redundant, which I knew as I typed it specifically for your special low intellect.

[SIZE=3]No one should be thanked for being like you.

No I think you should contact Chris Mullen and Peter and express your discontent with the crappy articles they allow to be posted on their web pages since you feel so strongly about them or are you a chicken sh!t. I mean isn't this America the land that allows you talk sh!t about it and everything in it as you please, you do that on their forum at will so why not exercise your displeasure with them. Could it be you can't hide behide your cloak of Internet darkness when they know who you are and don't have to put up with crap from an A$$ trying to tell them how to operate "their" business. We would all like to see this in an open letter as it would probably fill chapter 183 all by itself in the comedic book of Silverheartbone, the roaming Alzheimer's patient at large.

But you still haven't explained how soot by itself would ignite a house fire let alone be responsible for causing it to burn much hotter than it could otherwise by itself once it caught fire. Your comment, now back it up versus red hot ambers being the primary cause of most of those homes burning to the ground and only as the source of the original fire, not the destructive infernal that destroyed the home.

Exclamation A lot of red and somewhat hot, it but can't melt glass.

Quote Originally Posted by valerb View Post
    Your comment, now back it up versus red hot ambers being the primary cause of most of those homes burning to the ground and only as the source of the original fire, not the destructive infernal that destroyed the home.

Vale, you are crazy.

Here you go tap dancing around an issue. Answer the question and explain how soot is responsible for those homes being burnt to the ground and doing greater damage than the houses can by burning on their own once set on fire. Make it another precious one as I'm sure it will make chapter 183.