Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

TSHTF food - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TSHTF food

If it doesn't have decent cheese flavor, I'll let you know.
    I expect my main use will be sprinkled on various steamed Brassicas,
    sort of an instant Hollandaise sauce, and on popcorn.
    Possibly an ingredient with salsa and guacamole and corn chips.
    Salad dust?
    If it's good, I'll use it.
    "I foresee little future in 'the price of silver', I see a huge future for 'the price in silver'." - heartbone
    "The truth is called hate by those who hate the truth." - K

Quote Originally Posted by silverheartbone View Post
    If it doesn't have decent cheese flavor, I'll let you know.
    I expect my main use will be sprinkled on various steamed Brassicas,
    sort of an instant Hollandaise sauce, and on popcorn.
    Possibly an ingredient with salsa and guacamole and corn chips.
    Salad dust?
    If it's good, I'll use it.
    If you can find a use for it, good for you. It's artificial and it's designed to last a long time, much longer than what's in a Kraft package. But they can afford to add things that are not designed to store for years. But for some unknown reason my wife has a preference for the cheap Kraft mac and cheese versus the more expensive packaged cheese that's not powder. No counting for a lack of taste buds. If you don't like theirs you could try others but most of that stuff is bought in volume from the same vendors, then repackaged. I tried it from two or three and it all sucked as did everything dairy related except milk substitute and real freeze dried cheese, and canned cheese are ok and you can live with powdered eggs. They sell just about everything dairy you can imagine in powder form and god bless those that can make something out of it.
    I'm a proud member of Eggshellman's Liar, Shill, and bully club and a new member of the Super Jew Defense League!!!

Exclamation I read that Dollar Tree has freeze dried fruit.

Each chicken breast when reconstituted is about half the size of a regular breast that I buy in the store.
    The taste is like chicken, and the texture is surprisingly accurate.
    The potatoes are good, spiced just OK but I didn't taste the Parmesan.
    In total, it's just about what I expected from the product, food to be enjoyed in a pinch.

I do prefer the texture and taste of the chicken without re-hydration, and that's probably how I'll consume it.
    It expands while going from crunchy to moist.
    I'm hoping that will also be true for many other of these freeze dried foods.
    "I foresee little future in 'the price of silver', I see a huge future for 'the price in silver'." - heartbone

Each chicken breast when reconstituted is about half the size of a regular breast that I buy in the store.
    The taste is like chicken, and the texture is surprisingly accurate.
    The potatoes are good, spiced just OK but I didn't taste the Parmesan.
    In total, it's just about what I expected from the product, food to be enjoyed in a pinch.

I do prefer the texture and taste of the chicken without re-hydration, and that's probably how I'll consume it.
    It expands while going from crunchy to moist.
    I'm hoping that will also be true for many other of these freeze dried foods.
    Try Pets Mart, it might be cheaper coming from China...
    I'm a proud member of Eggshellman's Liar, Shill, and bully club and a new member of the Super Jew Defense League!!!

Quote Originally Posted by valerb View Post
    Try Pets Mart, it might be cheaper coming from China...
    I think that's a bad idea.
    I'd rather go vegetarian.
    But if you think it's OK to do that,
    just to save a few bucks,
    I'll leave consuming the pet food to you.

I think that's a bad idea.
    I'd rather go vegetarian.
    But if you think it's OK to do that,
    just to save a few bucks,
    I'll leave consuming the pet food to you.
    Gees Roover, I was just trying to save you some money and if you liked those, they have dried Beef and dried Liver and it looks like dried Bacon. I would just suggest you keep them for six months first and keep monitoring the contaminated dog food information online. If none of it shows up for any of your batched, you can feel safe to Chow down.

Cool Hey, you gotta eat what you gotta eat. Who am I to look down on you?

Quote Originally Posted by valerb View Post
    Gees Roover, I was just trying to save you some money and if you liked those, they have dried Beef and dried Liver and it looks like dried Bacon. I would just suggest you keep them for six months first and keep monitoring the contaminated dog food information online. If none of it shows up for any of your batched, you can feel safe to Chow down.
    LOL. Sure.
    And I bet that you have plenty of cat food in that stash of yours to fall back on as (almost) your last resort, don't you?
    Curious, what brand of pet food do you like the best, and why?

LOL. Sure.
    And I bet that you have plenty of cat food in that stash of yours to fall back on as (almost) your last resort, don't you?
    Curious, what brand of pet food do you like the best, and why?

I don't skimp on survival food and what I have is all part of our regular food supply already. If you will only want to eat something to stay alive, it will be a total waste of money if you never need it and if you do, you'll hate yourself for ever buying it in the first place. Not a problem for me. If I die and there is still plenty left over, others can use it themselves for the same purpose or to just live off today.
    Last edited by valerb; 30th April 2018 at 22:07.