Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Need help with grading and selling advice

Thread: Need help with grading and selling advice

Default Need help with grading and selling advice

I would like some advice on the grade of this coin, and what the best way to sell it for the most gain would be.

Thanks.

1886 O Morgan Obverse.jpg1886 O Morgan Reverse.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ragtimeman View Post
    I would like some advice on the grade of this coin, and what the best way to sell it for the most gain would be.

Thanks.

1886 O Morgan Obverse.jpg1886 O Morgan Reverse.jpg
    I can't offer any help other than to say your coin looks to be in pretty good condition for being over 130 years old.

Unfortunately none of the guest you see listed on the forum which generally range from a low of about 15 to a high of around 60 at any given point in time during a 24 hour period can not see the coin you have linked without being a member or be willing to log in if they are actual members. Silverheartbone might provide some help and direction, but he's probably the only active member that has shown any interest in old US coins. If you haven't already done so, you might try looking at Ebay for some comparison, as they often provide some excellent quality photos with their coins to compare yours with. I would just caution not to get too excited if you find something that is very comparable to yours with a high price, far to many people put things out there with prices way out of line hoping someone that doesn't know any better will buy their product. But it is a good place to look for comparable items, especially when there are multiples for sale.

I don't mean to discourage you from asking this kind of question on the forum, it's just that so few people that will actually be able to see your coin, you would probably be better finding another more active forum, especially one that seems to deal with rare coins.

Also as a means of a way to actually show your coin for everyone to see, you need to link a picture from an online web page. In your case, it might be easy to find another 1886 coin that looks to be almost identical to yours and copy and paste that picture on this site and everyone can see it without being a member or having to log in if they are currently members. Actually seeing the coin might make it worthwhile for someone to log in or join if they have personal interest in your coin or some suggestion regarding the kinds of information you are looking for.

So that you'll know what I'm talking about, try clicking on your coin link without being logged in and you are not allowed to see it without being a member that is logged in. I should correct that, if you do not clear your history and cookie files, you will probably still be able to see it. You would have to clear them before seeing the same results as someone that has never seen your coin as a logged in member.

If you find a copy of your coin to post, just go back and edit your original post.

Here is what looks to be a great page to compare your coin for grading purposes. Don't just look at the face for wear and defects but the edges as will.

It not only shows grades from MS-70 down to MS-60, but a lot of grades below all the way down to a worn out PO-1

https://www.pcgs.com/grades

This page tells you basically what qualifies a coin to be in a category or eliminates it.

https://www.thespruce.com/coin-gradi...-simple-768384
    Last edited by valerb; 4th October 2017 at 22:11.
    I'm a proud member of Eggshellman's Liar, Shill, and bully club and a new member of the Super Jew Defense League!!!

Wow, Valerb, some really good advice on your answer to me - thanks! I wondered why I wasn't getting any response to my question. I will certainly follow up on my grading / pricing quest, and use your links. Thanks again! This is a great forum....