Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19
Extract 1 gram of silver from 200 old CDs!

Thread: Extract 1 gram of silver from 200 old CDs!

Thumbs up Extract 1 gram of silver from 200 old CDs!

Silver Recovery from Compact Discs

Silver recovery & refining from CD and DvD part 1

Silver recovery & refining from CD and DvD part 2

The two independent experiments corroborate the .005 g of silver per CD figure.

Without manoobullation today's silver price should be stable at about $600 and gold at about $5000 per ounce.
    During the long awaited correction, spot price may overshoot to a four digit value (in today's USD worth).
    At $3100 an ounce, silver would be $100 a gram, and one could extract 50 worth of precious from each old CD.
    That would make recycling worth it.
    I have a few hundred old CD-Rs that I could process when the price is right.
    "I foresee little future in 'the price of silver', I see a huge future for 'the price in silver'." - heartbone
    "The truth is called hate by those who hate the truth." - K

Thumbs up

First of all Silver has to climb back up to that $50 wall that it's never been able to breach and at that price they would be worth about .8 each before subtracting your cost to get that much Silver, not to mention you would have scrap Silver not refined Silver that you can sell at the going market price, so it would sell for much less to a refiner. Oh lord, will you even have enough to sell a refiner??

Subtracting your time, cost and refiners discount, your going to need your fictional $3,100 Silver spot price to have any hope of making this a worthwhile project.

But if I had your optimism, I'd be hanging out at the local trash dump trying to spot discarded CD's and DVD's.

Who knows, you might live to be 120, but I wouldn't keep my hopes up for the buying power remaining the same over the next 60 years.

I can see it now, Silver hits $3,100 in 2077 and your right on target, time to get to work on the 14,000 CD and DVD's you were able to collect before they stopped making and using them.

YEE HAW, $7,000 worth of Silver and they were generous that someone your age was able to do this and they gave you full value for your 2.+ ounces of Silver.

You were able to go out and buy two six packs to wash down your quarter pounder with cheese to celebrate, but you couldn't afford the fries to go with it...

What the hell it was a hobby worthwhile and you were smiling as you gummed down that burger...

PS let me know when it gets in the $30 range so I can get ready to dump a little of my Silver, I'm not holding out for $3,100 or $600 for that matter.

I don't know about you, but if and when Silver reaches a Gold to Silver ratio of less than 30 to 1, I plan to start swapping it for Gold as it drops.

It will be a glorious day (as you predict) when Silver is as valuable as Gold or a sad day for Gold when it isn't worth any more than Silver, depending on the Value of Silver.
    Last edited by valerb; 14th August 2017 at 04:41.
    I'm a proud member of Eggshellman's Liar, Shill, and bully club and a new member of the Super Jew Defense League!!!