Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Expectations of Silver

Default Expectations of Silver

Here's a topic that has been discussed ad nauseum in many contexts, but one that has been "interrupted", per se, before letting the breadth of opinion stretch its wings.

WHAT IS YOUR EXPECTATION OF SILVER?

There are many ways to answer this, and they will certainly be based on individual ideologies. Variables, of course, make any expectation exciting. Are you looking for a specific dollar-per-ounce value? Are you looking for a strict preservation of wealth against the uncertainties of the U.S. dollar? Are you looking for quick appreciation?

At the outset, this could appear to be a basic question, but I've found that debating and exploring the expectation of others often has affects on our own opinions, which can lead to different buying strategies and/or purchasing practices. Admittedly, this is a topic largely geared toward physical silver, but can also apply to long-term players in the paper market.

I'll start....

For me, I have ZERO expectation, other than I "assume" silver is a way to invest my FRN's in a medium that has less volatility than paper money, AND, a way to pass that on to my children (or grandchildren) when I start pushin' up the daisies. While I do watch the market price of silver, I NEVER get involved in discussions about how exciting it is to see silver rise to $15, or move past a specific resistance mark. I have gained a more fervent respect for folks that believe in this, but it is less cerebral for me:

"Buy it, drool on it, lock it away to collect dust"

Admittedly, I do a lot of "flipping", and have made amazing personal gains with this practice, so I would be lying if I said I locked it away and forgot about it, or never looked at the spot price. I have a respectable base, that allows me to sell when the going is good, and put profits on sales back to more metal. I can regularly sell a 100oz. brick, and buy 120 oz. Ebay is great place for that, even with fees included.

So...to sum up, my expectation is nil. Sit there, collect dust, let me buy more, and don't go below my dollar average ( which is quite a bit less than 2 digits).

How 'bout you?

To clarify...my main objective is to pass all my T-bills (which I bought from all the money I made on selling my silver in order to support my government) on to my children. I don't expect that they will get much in the line of $$ from me, so I figure I'd leave them with a room full of goodies that nobody knows about. It will not only cut down on inheritance tax, but it will make for a HELL OF A GOOD story in two or three generations down the road of my kin.

Personally, my expectations of silver are that it will make me fabulously wealthy , beyond anything even winning the powerball Lottery would deliver.I also expect those gains to go totally unnoticed by our illustrious taxing agencies and that everyone in this forum will agree with me! I also expect to be disappointed.

Expectations are resentments in the making therefore I will say that it's a beautiful metal ,a safe haven for myself and my son ,and I will flow with it.Maybe it will make me rich maybe my son will be able to swim in ti like Scrooge McDuck one day.Til then I will reasonably expect it to stay solid not melt on me and grow til the day comes.
    "I know where Daddy keeps his Silver Shhhhhh"(I loves my precious hehehe)

Treasuries have been a solid performer since their inception. My fear is that they will become worth much less than the original capital investment as a result of inflation. It is exactly this reason that I have such a large portion of my wealth in silver/gold. They have proven themselves to be inflation proof.
    "Information spreads at the speed of light, while ignorance is instantaneous at all points in the known universe"

Quote Originally Posted by Ancona View Post
    Treasuries have been a solid performer since their inception. My fear is that they will become worth much less than the original capital investment as a result of inflation. It is exactly this reason that I have such a large portion of my wealth in silver/gold. They have proven themselves to be inflation proof.

Some time ago I made an appointment with a CPA to discuss the legalities of some investment strategies. They usually have more knowledge about those things than actually most attorneys do...Anyway, after a time we "somehow" got off on the subject of your post, with which I agree. In just a short time the lady was red in the face and screaming at me! I gently told her, "Lady, you're wasting my time." and got up headed for the door. As I rounded the corner, I couldn't help but bust out laughing at the looks on her assistant and the receptionist's faces and I left the office cracking up. I have a feeling alot of so called "knowledgeable" people are going to be in for a rude awakening.....
    TRUTH is not dependent on one's belief of it...
    John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

"Get Real"

Like so many today, I bought Silver in the beginning to protect myself in case of an emergency like Y2K.

After learning more about Silver, I started to add to my collection as it became more of a protection of wealth than just for emergencies.

Reading postings from the likes of Ted Butler, convinced me that Silver was indeed an excellent long term investment. All of my investment money was then focused on Silver only. Some say that is a tragic mistake, investing in a single commodity or stock.

I just wanted to make sure I entered my retirement years with something substantial to fall back on and not end up with a pocket full of worthless stock.

Like everyone, I like the sound of $50, $100 and even $200 Silver, but as long as I can sell it for $6 in an emergency, I'm still ahead of the game.

Now that I've reached my retirement years, I hope that long term investment will speed up a little. I'd really like to take some healthy profits and fund a travel account while I can still walk without to use of aides.

As far as when I would sell and at what price, I haven't a clue. $100 Silver doesn't mean much if you can buy an ounce of Silver for 10 EUROS or $14 Canadian.

Quote Originally Posted by LoboNoches View Post
    Expectations are resentments in the making therefore I will say that it's a beautiful metal ,a safe haven for myself and my son ,and I will flow with it.Maybe it will make me rich maybe my son will be able to swim in ti like Scrooge McDuck one day.Til then I will reasonably expect it to stay solid not melt on me and grow til the day comes.
    Some nice comments across the board, and as I noted, while the topic is basic to us all, it is a nice way to possibly kick off some intelligent discussion on a broader level.

Noches, I agree with your statement, and its simplicity is part of what makes it resonate so truly. My personal expectation, as I mentioned, is NO expectation.

For me, I have ZERO expectation, other than I "assume" silver is a way to invest my FRN's in a medium that has less volatility than paper money, AND, a way to pass that on to my children (or grandchildren) when I start pushin' up the daisies.
    It sho iz purty though. I loves me a nice brick o' white gold.

There should be no expectation whatsoever when speaking of precious metals other than they will preserve the value of your wealth. Some believe that they will become "rich" when PM's explode during massive inflation, but I would remind those folks that their silver and gold will merely maintain equilibrium with fiat, and will purchase in 10 years what they will purchase today.

For instance, if it takes one thousand ounces of silver to buy a widget maker today, then five years from now, when the dollar has dropped to 50, it will still buy the same widget maker, but it will require significantly more debased fiat to buy the same machine.

I am in silver to protect my wealth. Nothing more and nothing less. It can be said the possibility exists for silver to go significantly higher than it's equilibrium value relative to fiat, and I would agree that this is a distinct possibility. In this event, your silver will have "appreciated in value" to the extent of the overshoot, and someone who is paying attention will be able to capitalize on the move.
    "Information spreads at the speed of light, while ignorance is instantaneous at all points in the known universe"

Wealth preservation........there is no better hedge against fiat currency induced inflation and global resource depletion due to over population than PMs. My expectations that PMs will soon move are all unfortunately based on the expectation that things will get worse with time. I wish this were not so but I cannot see anything on the horizon to suggest otherwise. I am not planning to get rich just to maintain my wealth relative to those who have not planned. If per chance the failure of others to have planned makes me richer by comparison then so be it.