Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Today looks to be a good day to buy silver. - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Today looks to be a good day to buy silver.

Question quickening or doldrums

OK here comes the last week of August.
    Then comes the 90 day period where so many commentators in the financial space this past Spring predicted the economic collapse of the United States to show up big time.
    For now there are still some good days to buy silver.

2005 American Silver Eagle 1 Oz Coin Rainbow Toned 2 sided Gem US Mint Box SE62 $34.95

My first toning experiment on some slick quarters and a peace dollar went well and I learned a lot.
    Many different effects are possible, likely indistinguishable from atmospheric toning..
    Based on what I see, I'm sure that much of the silver sold on EBay is chemically toned.
    Some of it may even be graded and slabbed.

Now I want to learn how to tone only one side.
    I want to learn how to protect one side that I may want to keep shiny before immersing in the toning chemical?
    First I'll try petroleum jelly, then if that doesn't work, gorilla tape.
    "I foresee little future in 'the price of silver', I see a huge future for 'the price in silver'." - heartbone
    "The truth is called hate by those who hate the truth." - K

Could you just lay a coin down in a very shallow pan of your chemical that doesn't run over the top side? Of course you'd have to be very careful not to splash any on the good side. Pick the coin up using any number of tacky products, such as museum putty or whatever it's called. The point would be to pick up the coin so you could keep it horizontal until you wiped of any excess chemicals. That's assuming you can simply lay a coin in chemical for toning.
    I'm a proud member of Eggshellman's Liar, Shill, and bully club and a new member of the Super Jew Defense League!!!

Thumbs up I've found real nice internet source for good old coins shipped quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by valerb View Post
    Could you just lay a coin down in a very shallow pan of your chemical that doesn't run over the top side? Of course you'd have to be very careful not to splash any on the good side. Pick the coin up using any number of tacky products, such as museum putty or whatever it's called. The point would be to pick up the coin so you could keep it horizontal until you wiped of any excess chemicals. That's assuming you can simply lay a coin in chemical for toning.

The chemical is only part of the toning process.
    To achieve the rainbow effect one needs the electrical potential of a battery reacting with the surface, so the surface being face down would greatly affect the process.

Today at 2:57 CDT I pulled the trigger on:

90% Silver Walking Liberty Half Dollar Roll - 20 Coins Item #: SJ90_50C_WALKR_RL_CR
    1 $143.07

MS64 Graded Peace Silver Dollar Coins Item #: SDOL_PEACE_MS64
    1 $57.03

Subtotal: $200.10
    Shipping Rate: $0.00
    Tax Total: $0.00
    Grand Total: $200.10

The first numismatic coin that I have bought in thirty years.
    I figure these are going to be over a century old in less than 10 years, and therefore could appreciate a lot.

There seem to still be a few good days remaining.
    "I foresee little future in 'the price of silver', I see a huge future for 'the price in silver'." - heartbone

Quote Originally Posted by silverheartbone View Post

The chemical is only part of the toning process.
    To achieve the rainbow effect one needs the electrical potential of a battery reacting with the surface, so the surface being face down would greatly affect the process.

Ok, what is the process, just how do these coins have to be situated in the chemical to receive a toning?

Completely submerged, standing on end, laying face up on the bottom covered by several inches of chemical, what's the trick if they can't be face down?

They can be face down in the chemical without being completely submerged and not laying on the bottom if that is the issue.

I would just try different ways before trying to protect one side with tape or some other substance while in a chemical bath.
    Last edited by valerb; 30th August 2017 at 18:08.
    I'm a proud member of Eggshellman's Liar, Shill, and bully club and a new member of the Super Jew Defense League!!!

Default facts

Ok, what is the process, just how do these coins have to be situated in the chemical to receive a toning?

Completely submerged, standing on end, laying face up on the bottom covered by several inches of chemical, what's the trick if they can't be face down?

They can be face down in the chemical without being completely submerged and not laying on the bottom if that is the issue.

I would just try different ways before trying to protect one side with tape or some other substance while in a chemical bath.
    See message #40 for your answer.

BTW, https://youtu.be/sW0p8tgmQDU?t=21m9s

Also I have deduced that if you can read the date on any junk silver, then the amount of the original silver remaining is at least 99%,
    and $44.45 in fractional contains a kilo of the precious element Ag and over 100 grams of monetary Cu.

Ok I watched that video, I was expecting something more. That's more like a boy scout project. Hit, miss, try again and hope for a better outcome. Not exactly what you might call a serious method for producing a consistent product. I would search for something using a gas or a more professional approach and try to adapt to that method.
    Last edited by valerb; 31st August 2017 at 23:03.

Default these things do sell as you can see above

Ok I watched that video, I was expecting something more. That's more like a boy scout project. Hit, miss, try again and hope for a better outcome. Not exactly what you might call a serious method for producing a consistent product. I would search for something using a gas or a more professional approach and try to adapt to that method.
    Before your kabbal perverted things and corrupted the boy scouts, although meant as a derisive swipe, I would have taken that as a positive attribute.

The hit and miss aspect sort of makes it an adventurous hobby, where one may occasionally discover something cool. Over triple for an artsy piece!

2000 UNC American Eagle Silver Dollar * TONING* 5800 US $65.00 $3.95 Economy Shipping

For the duds, a quick dip in Tarn-X and thorough rinsing and drying and it's good to go again.

Exclamation Shiny Rainbows & Unicorns, Happy September!

Then there are those who have figured out something really cool, atmospheric toning through the airtight coin grading service case!

1989 SILVER EAGLE ~ PCGS MS67 ~ MONSTER RAINBOW TONED ~ CHROME LUSTER ! US $750.00

Art, like value, is in the eye of the beholder.

Shiny rainbows look good to me.

Try that with gold. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by silverheartbone View Post

For the duds, a quick dip in Tarn-X and thorough rinsing and drying and it's good to go again.
    You mean at best it's as good as a mixed ASE if not considered a culled ASE, assuming you did not do any damage with pitting or anything else.

Try looking close at one of those Silver coins and see if you didn't put a burn mark where the battery lead was touching.

It may not be that noticeable after you have put a lot of toning on it, but remove it and see what you have then.

No, I'm not an expert on screwing up Silver coins, but I have watched others do it themselves.

I like mine just the way I bought it and hopefully will be able to sell it looking the same way some day.

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't have at it, especially with 90% US coins, but I'd sure leave those ASE's alone as they are expected to be in prime condition no matter the year for anyone ever trying to sell one.

There are a lot of dealers only offering the spot price for an ASE today, I can't imagine what one goes for that is considered culled.

Just because someone put one up for sale at $65 does not mean anyone will actually buy it. There is another one the same year for $55 and one for $55 from 1995.

It takes all kinds and some people will buy anything and others will try and sell things for far more than they are worth, that is the nature of Ebay.

I'm just glad to see you didn't get caught up in the hype trying to sell copper on E-bay for far more than it's worth.

A lot of people got stung buying cooper in bulk for far more than it was worth thinking they were going to make a killing and they were the ones that got killed.

So if you can throw several old 90% coins in a 10 black velvet bag and call it a special deal for your grandchildren and get away with it, good luck.

Same goes for turning cheap coins into a small fortune by dipping them in a petri dish full of acid and a inexpensive battery hookup

This can't be a new idea as E-bay isn't flooded with these coins, no one seems to be bidding on them and if it is, it won't be long before those with good techniques show up and drive the price down.

But it can't hurt to try while there isn't any real competition
    Last edited by valerb; 2nd September 2017 at 03:04.

Angry the swamp remains

If I had waited 5 days, I could have saved $12.
    That makes today an even better day than 5 days ago.
    Although the online company that I've been dealing with has the most excellent turn around time,
    (I ordered on Thursday afternoon, delivered on Sunday afternoon)
    for the first time, they slipped in a slug into a roll of dimes.
    I'll take that as a warning.

I brilliant proofliked a 2005 American Silver Eagle today, and it looks rather nice.
    After buffing it with a microfiber cloth, I put it into an Air-tite to protect the finish.

I'm hoping that there will be some future silver market,
    one positioned somewhere between a Craigslist and an E*Bay,
    one based on blockchain technology.
    I'll be ready with attractively toned and proof-like constitutional coins.