Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 134

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19
Insurance? Investment Opportunity? Or both?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Insurance? Investment Opportunity? Or both?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    200

    Default Insurance? Investment Opportunity? Or both?

    ................
    Last edited by Sue-Z-Q; 8th January 2010 at 20:27.
    Posts by Suz-E-Q are for entertainment purposes; author takes no responsibilities for readers' potential uses or abuses of information contained therein.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  2. #2
    akak Guest

    Default

    I suppose that I view holding silver as a combination insurance policy (as regards inevitable inflation and dollar devaluation), savings account (that I am not easily tempted to "raid") and investment (in that I believe that the value of silver will rise as inflation and/or dollar devaluation takes hold). Of those three aspects, however, I view the investment angle as the least significant of the three. Although in the end I hope and expect to gain some value in holding silver, it is not my main focus, and if I just broke even in real (not dollar) terms, I would still consider it having been well worth holding.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    Both of you have the right perspective. Thanks Suze for starting this.
    Too many people get caught up in Silver going to the moon and I'm going to buy a house with 500 ounces of Silver. All possible I'm sure but the reality is Silver is an item people believe has value and holds value. Put an ounce in your hand and you know you have something of value. Now compare it to a 5 dollar bill, 10, 20 how about a 50. Oddly the Silver has quite a lot going for it.

    The mentality of the get rich quick crowd in Silver is not that unfamiliar.
    How about the House Flippers of a couple years back?
    A house is a pretty solid investment if you are not leveraged to the hilt to purchase one. Nice security if you own it outright or are working towards that goal. I think Silver gives you that investment back-bone that lets you sleep soundly at night.
    Don't worry about the monthly ups and downs. Buy some when it feels right and relax. Plenty of other things to worry about in this day and age.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    459

    Default

    First off thanks for letting me sit with the big dogs. I'll try to behave if not just hit me with the paper.I just started getting into silver cause now that I have my son I wanted to have something tangible that could be saved to pass down to him.In the process after I got my first oz. which was a Phil I fell in love with the metal.I started lurking around this forum reading and realized how much potential it has not just as an heirloom to pass on but for savings,investment,and sense of security.Now I look at it not just as some purty prettys to play with but as a solid investment.It's like a savings account except the interest rate has no limitations
    "I know where Daddy keeps his Silver Shhhhhh"(I loves my precious hehehe)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,120

    Default

    Absolutely. I believe 90% to be an excellent insurance policy against collapse. I also view the "nationals", ASE's, Maples etc. to be the same type of insurance. Those silver pieces that are tho most recognizable will remain the most fungible.
    "Information spreads at the speed of light, while ignorance is instantaneous at all points in the known universe"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ancona View Post
    Absolutely. I believe 90% to be an excellent insurance policy against collapse. I also view the "nationals", ASE's, Maples etc. to be the same type of insurance. Those silver pieces that are tho most recognizable will remain the most fungible.
    You stated the pieces that are most recognizable now since I'm new to this I have a question.Besides your legal tender coins and obvious big name mints such as johnson,heraeus,credit suise and so forth what other coins or bullion do you consider to be well known in terms of private mint or such?
    "I know where Daddy keeps his Silver Shhhhhh"(I loves my precious hehehe)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LoboNoches View Post
    You stated the pieces that are most recognizable now since I'm new to this I have a question.Besides your legal tender coins and obvious big name mints such as johnson,heraeus,credit suise and so forth what other coins or bullion do you consider to be well known in terms of private mint or such?
    You're going to get alot of different answers on that one. Typical answers,,,
    Name brand sells at a premium in general.
    Silver is Silver.
    Get what you like.
    If you aren't in love with something you own, sell it or trade it.
    Diversify

    Don't lock yourself into what THE right answer is. If silver ever did explode in price it may pay to just have Silver in any form. Paying the extra premium for name brand might not bring you a higher return down the road.
    Many unknown factors at this point but Silver is still reasonably priced. Many feel it will get crushed this summer like usually happens during the summer months. If you really like Silver save some cash for those possible great deal times too.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    419

    Default

    This is what I consider, a "good ole stand-by" post...and I appreciate it.

    As I have pondered, meandered and sometimes gotten down-right ornery about, silver is an insurance policy, of sorts for me. While I am not a 90% collector, per se, I do have a few thousand $$ in face stored, but it's not my main medium of choice. Diversity is always key, but the insurance/wealth storage in recognizable coinage is a MAJOR advantage as far as I'm concerned. Admittedly, the majority of what I used to own ('cause I sold it all back in order to buy T-bonds) was in .999. BUT...just as one cannot predict the market swings, one cannot predict what might carry value in the future. Holding a good, tidy sum of 90% is a smart bet for folks who have sizable holdings, but an even smarter bet for those starting out, if they can avoid paying the sometimes-prevalent premiums that exist. When I started collecting (before I sold it all to buy T-bonds), I was adamant about a balanced stake in .999 and 90%. When silver hit, around $9/oz I noticed premiums for 90% going WAY up. Since that point, the premium value has been a roller-coaster, so I stuck with the .999, since my base of 90% was fairly respectable. While I, now, advocate buying .999, I do believe that 90% is a great way to "sub-diversify", if you will. I'm kind of in the same boat as Ancona, and LOVE me the nationals. They are both recognizable, and carry premium above that of .999, and damn if they ain't purty.

    Regardless of what it is, insurance is THEE way I see it. I didn't get in to silver to make a quick buck (though i've made plenty-o-quick'ens o'er the years).

    [I miss you Jeanne...on our anniversary]

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by other1z View Post
    This is what I consider, a "good ole stand-by" post...and I appreciate it.

    As I have pondered, meandered and sometimes gotten down-right ornery about, silver is an insurance policy, of sorts for me. While I am not a 90% collector, per se, I do have a few thousand $$ in face stored, but it's not my main medium of choice. Diversity is always key, but the insurance/wealth storage in recognizable coinage is a MAJOR advantage as far as I'm concerned. Admittedly, the majority of what I used to own ('cause I sold it all back in order to buy T-bonds) was in .999. BUT...just as one cannot predict the market swings, one cannot predict what might carry value in the future. Holding a good, tidy sum of 90% is a smart bet for folks who have sizable holdings, but an even smarter bet for those starting out, if they can avoid paying the sometimes-prevalent premiums that exist. When I started collecting (before I sold it all to buy T-bonds), I was adamant about a balanced stake in .999 and 90%. When silver hit, around $9/oz I noticed premiums for 90% going WAY up. Since that point, the premium value has been a roller-coaster, so I stuck with the .999, since my base of 90% was fairly respectable. While I, now, advocate buying .999, I do believe that 90% is a great way to "sub-diversify", if you will. I'm kind of in the same boat as Ancona, and LOVE me the nationals. They are both recognizable, and carry premium above that of .999, and damn if they ain't purty.

    Regardless of what it is, insurance is THEE way I see it. I didn't get in to silver to make a quick buck (though i've made plenty-o-quick'ens o'er the years).

    [I miss you Jeanne...on our anniversary]
    I'll second every bit of that (except the Jeanne part). I started buying 90% for the same reasons and I can take the same three dimes that bought a gallon of gas and a soda in 1970 and buy the same items today. That's the real value of the stuff.

    With the new uses for silver that appear every day the future for it is secure and the peace of mind in holding it is priceless.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    133

    Default Decoupling

    Although I recognize the investment benefits of silver, I tend to view it as a source of insurance and wealth preservation. But most of all its because I've come to recognize that the fate our economy is subject to the policies of a government that does not have our best interest at heart. So I've decided to begin to decouple my investments from this government that I distrust. The Fed can control the value of the dollar, but it cannot fully control the value of hard assets (gold, silver, copper etc..).

    Let me explain where I'm coming from. I occasionally teach part-time at a local college. I teach mostly business classes including economics. Up until last year, if somebody asked me whether the dollar should be backed by gold; I would invariably reply with the standard argument that gold's limited supply inhibits economic growth. I would further argue that the dollar does not have to be backed by something with intrinsic value as long as the money supply more or less matches the value that our economy creates. In other words I felt that our currency was backed by the value the we create. I would conclude by saying, "The dollars in your pocket are backed by what you did at work today." It was a solid argument and I was pretty pleased with myself. The problem of course was that I assumed that the government and the Fed would embark upon responsible fiscal and monetary policy, which would keep the national debt under control and perhaps begin reducing it. Now TARP I, TARP II and massive stimulus have made what I thought was a well-reasoned argument into something that was foolish and nieve bordering on incompetence. This is why I've decided to decouple.

    Finally, while I think gold is a solid, safe investment I prefer silver because it allows me to play all the angles. Silver is a precious metal like gold, but it has a growing number of industrial uses which will allow it to hold its value once the economy starts growing again. I also think silver has an advantage in commerce (in the event of a collapse) in that it already comes in a wide variety of denominations. When I told my investment guy that I was investing in physical PMs, he asked me somewhat sarcastically, "So you think you'll be buying a loaf of bread with a gold coin?" "Of course not," I shot back, "I've got silver dimes for that."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •