Thread: Tips on buying Silver (flea market, garage sales?

Default Tips on buying Silver (flea market, garage sales?

anyone got any good ideas on places to find good deals on silver. Ive had luck back on craigslist in december and jan. I have no luck there now cause everyone and there brother does it. Then the other posters call you and tell you bullcrap. Ive had few good deals off coin dealers at flea markets that actually didnt really care bout silver content as they did nuismathics and got for spot. Anyone got any locally ideas?

I find stuff at antique shops regularly. They often have coin cases or other small areas where silver items can be found. Now-days, however, it seems that these folks are quite aware of what they have. It was different ten years ago when I was doing the same thing.

Church rummage sales!!! I look in the newspaper and Pennysaver for advertisements and regularly attend these functions. Since rummage sales are basically large-scale "garage sales", there's a ton of stuff to be had, for cheap. I've also experienced the fact that some of the older congregation members of churches who are ready to get rid of stuff (e.g. looking to get rid of old memorabilia of a deceased spouse) often dump GREAT things. 5 years ago, I took home a box of over $200 in pre-'65 silver for face value. The folks hosting rummage sales have NO idea what they have. For them, any sale equates to free $$.

Those are my two contributions.

At flea markets and garage sales, you will most likely find silver planted utensils, tea services, plates, etc. Some may be sterling, but most will likely just be plated, and hard to identify the true Ag content by weight.

Still, you will likely find some good buys... like $5 to $10 for a silver-plated tea kettle. Garage sales /estate sales generally give steep discounts to silver-plated items that are heavily tarnished, believing that they are old (or inferior quality). However, I view tarnish as a distinguishing feature, indicating that the item is indeed Ag. The tarnish will clean quite easily, and make a beautiful piece.

I collect silver plated items just to have them. Since it is difficult to get an actual Ag weight for an item, I don't plan on reselling them.

I had a friend that found about 50 shiney drill bits in a pack rat's nest in his barn--they have an affinity for bright shiney things you know. Maybe you can raise and train an army of them and turn them loose!

In all seriousness , that's a $64 question and if there was a dependable short cut today , no ones going to share it with you. Like all good things , you're going to have to buy or earn it.

I NEVER purchases silver plated items, or sterling stuff. I do, however, have occasional luck with the rummage sale idea. When I find something I'm ready to buy, I ALWAYS get it IMMENSELY cheaper than its worth.

Im goin hit the garage sales this year pretty hard I guess and see what I can find. Im goin look for silver and old fishing lures. Ive had luck with few of my neighbors, but I just act like I wanna find a few just was thinking bout collecting . That way they dont know what you got. Ive also had a few hits on local radio...time to trade on saturdays. They have a thing on radio if your looking or selling that goes on for 2 hours.
    As far as trying to keep it a secret on tips to get silver. I dont think there is any secrets, its more of a luck thing. If its something thats a secret is probably dishonest. Like the tv ads and hotel shows those are all dishonest people.
    I did buy a some silver plated junk unfortunately at a Antique store but its looked real and she offered me a very small gold necklace for 3.00 that was 10k..well ended up I had 34.00 invested and the silver pl was junk and the 3.00 necklace was worth 90.00 scrap..lol I gave away the silver plated stuff. Ive actually figured the sterling out pretty well now after trial and error and stamps. Its nearly all plated out there unless its marked high and has sterling stamp. I usually dont even bother with it but will look.

One thing that I get a kick out of is. I hear this all the time from people. Example I went to the post office and we were talking about gold and silver because I sell on ebay. She said ya the price of gold is must be goin way up and silver. I see people with buying gold signs everywhere.
    I told her, well its because people are broke or needing money and there actually getting ripped off, and by the way Gold went down 100.00 a oz just this week. Thats when it was around 1000 something like that. People think because there sign out there for buying gold and silver that its skyrocketing and they dont even have a clue how much there gold and silver is worth. They see a necklace they had that was broke and bring it in and get 50.00 for it but its really worth 400 scrap. They think wow it must be good that little necklace is worth 50.00...