Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Coin roll Hunting

Welp, I decided to give this a shot. Why not, the worst that happens is I walk across the street when I get home to the bank there. They have a counting machine! I work in a city, so there is no shortage of banks. However, shortage of cash on hand is a different story. Today I picked up one roll of half dollars (no dice here) and 3 rolls of dimes. I'll also start digging through my piggy bank when I get home and see. I honestly never thought of doing this before. For those of you who get large batches of coins, do you just phone the bank ahead of time and say "hey, I'll need 500$ worth of half dollars?" The PNC I stopped in said that I was lucky that they had one, they usually don't have them on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by broox419 View Post
    Good to hear HAC, here on the west coast it seems like it's all dried up so I gave it a rest. Next week I will order another couple of boxes hopefully with more success than the last few boxes I've though
    Ahhhh! So I see what everyone means. So it seems we might have gotten lucky after all. We just got two boxes of $500 dollar halves today and got absolutely nothing!!! As it turns out someone must have beaten us to the punch because the box we got today has already been gone through. I have to say it was very disappointing!!! So we will keep trying and let our luck carry us through. So there are no guarantees but it's definitely worth a shot....I guess we have to keep trying broox419!! In the mean time it will not hinder me from accumulating my silver!!

Quote Originally Posted by msarro View Post
    Welp, I decided to give this a shot. Why not, the worst that happens is I walk across the street when I get home to the bank there. They have a counting machine! I work in a city, so there is no shortage of banks. However, shortage of cash on hand is a different story. Today I picked up one roll of half dollars (no dice here) and 3 rolls of dimes. I'll also start digging through my piggy bank when I get home and see. I honestly never thought of doing this before. For those of you who get large batches of coins, do you just phone the bank ahead of time and say "hey, I'll need 500$ worth of half dollars?" The PNC I stopped in said that I was lucky that they had one, they usually don't have them on hand.
    I usually let the a branch manager at a US Bank know on Monday what to order and they have them by Thursday evening. He is really cool about ordering them so I never have to worry about getting them. There was another branch manager that charged me $5 to do it so I don't go there anymore. It's pretty much like playing roulette. I've never had a box net more than 4 silvers but have had 4 boxes net me nothin'. I seem to have a lot more success by finding them in a teller's drawer than actually order the boxes from the Federal Reserve but I will try again next week....

i Started into Coin roll hunting recently just for fun and to see if i could find anything.

i got $50 worth of half dollars on my first pick up and netted 12 Silver Half dollars...only 1 was 90% and the others 40% but pretty good for just a small lot of $50

The next lot i got was a couple days ago..a box of $500 worth of half dollars...I only found 1 40% silver half.

i could not believe in $50 worth i found 12 coins but in $500 i only found 1!
    it must have been dumb luck the first go around..or i got super unlucky on the second go around.

either way i almost jumped out of my seat and could not stop smiling while unraveling the first batch.

its pretty fun..anyone in the US search anything other than halfs and find any silver?

Silverbulldog

Wow, I had figured the banks would have prevented this by some means by now. Does anyone else besides Silverbulldog have recent success in this? If so, maybe I'll mess around with it. I could easily get $1000 work of half dollars and do it once in a while.

Originally Posted by SilverChris
    Seems like if I had down syndrome and all the time in the world this would be a good use of my time.

In reply, Originally posted by Maplesilverbug:
    Did you READ this entire thread?

On one of the first pages I gave the odds of finding a silver-content coin based upon a sample of ~300,000 coins -- 1 in every 370 (or 0.3%).

Shoulda played the lotto instead.

p.s. -- the chance of Down Syndrome is 1 in every 700.

Yeah, read the thread, it's ENTIRELY a crap shoot.......

i think it depends on which banks you go to. I find that lower income areas normally net more silver...The uneducated turn their silver in for FRN all the time.

the $500 boxes from the Mint seem like they are already sorted...i could be wrong here

One box Friday...skunk. Another box today...skunk. How depressing A couple of my co-workers suggest that I order them from a bank many miles away if I know I am going to be in the vicinity. For now I give up. Better luck to you all!

the $500 boxes from the Mint seem like they are already sorted...i could be wrong here
    You don't say? Since they're all brand new, made this year, they're GUARANTEED NOT to contain silver. The boxes from the bank, which are from companies (not the Mint), that take in banks' change, sort them into denominations, and repackage them, do not sort out the silver, I believe. Therefore, it depends on who brings what to the bank. Probably a better way to get silver is to make friends with the tellers, and show them how to look for the silver ones, and to save it for you, and offer them more than face value in return for doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
    You don't say? Since they're all brand new, made this year, they're GUARANTEED NOT to contain silver. The boxes from the bank, which are from companies (not the Mint), that take in banks' change, sort them into denominations, and repackage them, do not sort out the silver, I believe. Therefore, it depends on who brings what to the bank. Probably a better way to get silver is to make friends with the tellers, and show them how to look for the silver ones, and to save it for you, and offer them more than face value in return for doing it.
    If you talk your bank teller into that, they probably won't get to keep their job for too long.