Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Coin roll Hunting

Default Coin roll Hunting

Ok, so not many people talk about this. But does anyone else coin roll hunt? If so any good finds as of late? Just ordered a Box of halfs from the bank, hopin I get lucky.
    To hope is to Fear.

Quote Originally Posted by theelementofone View Post
    Ok, so not many people talk about this. But does anyone else coin roll hunt? If so any good finds as of late? Just ordered a Box of halfs from the bank, hopin I get lucky.

I've heard a lot of people discuss coin roll hunting here I have not tried it yet.I guess being a newbie I assumed that all rolls would be new coins
    "I know where Daddy keeps his Silver Shhhhhh"(I loves my precious hehehe)

I have done quite a bit of coin roll hunting. I go through 8 to 10 boxes of halves per week. I found my 800th silver half dollar last week. I have found approx 160 oz of silver just in half dollars. I have been coin roll hunting for about 8 months now.

Quote Originally Posted by MODERN DAY MINER View Post
    I have done quite a bit of coin roll hunting. I go through 8 to 10 boxes of halves per week. I found my 800th silver half dollar last week. I have found approx 160 oz of silver just in half dollars. I have been coin roll hunting for about 8 months now.
    Wow ok obviously I been missing out so how the hell do I get rolls of halves and what years am i looking for

I have several differant banks order them for me.
    $1000 at a time. The key to coin roll hunting (imop) is to make sure you have plenty of dump banks. A dump bank is a bank with the coin counting machine in it. Coin roll hunting is hard to do without those banks. I have a network of about 20 banks that I use. You don't want to sump your coins off at the same bank more than once a week. I did that inthe beginning and was asked not to bring any more halves in to that bank. But once I got my netwrok of banks going it has been pretty easy.

The boxes that I go through sometimes you get skunked and sometimes I find anywhere from 5 up to 50 silver halves. You just half to keep plugging away.

Quote Originally Posted by MODERN DAY MINER View Post
    I have several differant banks order them for me.
    $1000 at a time. The key to coin roll hunting (imop) is to make sure you have plenty of dump banks. A dump bank is a bank with the coin counting machine in it. Coin roll hunting is hard to do without those banks. I have a network of about 20 banks that I use. You don't want to sump your coins off at the same bank more than once a week. I did that inthe beginning and was asked not to bring any more halves in to that bank. But once I got my netwrok of banks going it has been pretty easy.

The boxes that I go through sometimes you get skunked and sometimes I find anywhere from 5 up to 50 silver halves. You just half to keep plugging away.
    Sweet only problem I see is that I don't have anywhere near a grand to get a box.Do the banks do smaller (couple hundred)type lots to look through and what years am I looking for

Quote Originally Posted by LoboNoches View Post
    Wow ok obviously I been missing out so how the hell do I get rolls of halves and what years am i looking for
    Quote Originally Posted by LoboNoches View Post
    Sweet only problem I see is that I don't have anywhere near a grand to get a box.Do the banks do smaller (couple hundred)type lots to look through and what years am I looking for
    They have to order them $500 at a time that is how many come in a box.
    You are looking for anything 1970 and older. The bulk of what I find is 67 and 68 kennedys. You will mostly find the 40% halves but there are still quite a few 90% halves out there as well. I have around 630 40% halves and 180 90% halves.

How do you do this? do you just walk into any bank and say "hey i need $500 bucks worth of 50 cent peices...?"

What about $1 coins?
    - God's Walky Talky

"L A N . . A S T A S L E M"
    I will NOT submit to islam!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
    Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Quote Originally Posted by Steadfast View Post
    How do you do this? do you just walk into any bank and say "hey i need $500 bucks worth of 50 cent peices...?"

What about $1 coins?
    I would just call your bank first and ask if they have any in stock. if they don't ask them to order you some. Then I wold call each branch that was close by and do the same thing. Be sure to ask if they have those coin counting machines. Then I would find a differant bank that has plenty of branches with coin counting machines and set up an account there. Usually you can set up a cheap no fees checking account for $25. I haven't tried any one dollar coins yet. i was thinking of trying to order some ike dollars I've heard that there are still some 40% still out there. But I'm finding so many of the halves (and trying to go through so many) that don't have time yet for dollars.

Been alot of good questions, glad a put this one up. I have been roll hunting for 6months, some decent finds. MY favorite is finding a walker in the mix!! Its fun Just remember re-mark your rolls after you are done, so that that other hunters know that that one has been searched!!
    To hope is to Fear.