Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Northwest Territorial Mint - Page 12
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Northwest Territorial Mint

This looks to be the final nail for all those waiting for anything out of the NWTM fiasco as the Trustee has driven that puppy right into the ground and about six feet under instead of closing the doors and selling everything off and distributing the assets to those owed something when they had the chance two years ago. When will people stop buying what these trustees are selling??

Admin Claims Expected to be ~33%

August 17, 2018 2:25PM EST

In the WARN Act negotiations, Chapter 11 Trustee Mark Calvert stated that he estimates that administrative priority claims will receive a recovery of 1/3 or less of the amount of their allowed claims.

Administrative claims include, among other things, trustee fees, attorney fees, and wages or benefits owed employees.

This also means that Calvert expects that non-priority creditors (such as storage and bullion customers) will not receive any money, as all priority claims (such as administrative claims) need to get paid before non-priority claims.

WARN Act Settlement

August 17, 2018 2:10PM EST

Both sides of the WARN Act issue have agreed on a settlement, subject to the Judge's approval. The WARN Act requires employers in many cases to provide 60 days notice of termination when there are mass layoffs. The Trustee calculated that the maximum liability for the estate would be $642,000.

If approved, NWTM would pay $125,000 to settle. By my calculations, about $76,000 of that would end up going to the 100 NWTM employees that are part of this class (proportional to what their claim is estimated at, which is based partly on their salary), or roughly 12% of what Calvert calculated their claim as.

The settlement agreement Exhibit A shows $81,337 as "Net Allocable to Employees", but does not seem to include the $5K of estimated legal expenses they listed. I would suggest that might be an error, and that the Exhibit overestimates the allocation for each creditors, but as a non-professional, I will assume I misunderstand the exhibit. I don't want to post misinformation.

No wonder the Trustee fought so hard to keep from paying this tab, he didn't want to loose all this income he had slated for his group of lawyers and accountants
    Last edited by valerb; 20th August 2018 at 02:18.
    I'm a proud member of Eggshellman's Liar, Shill, and bully club and a new member of the Super Jew Defense League!!!

Well, the final word is in on those old NWTM records, at least all of those dated before 2009. Can't be to happy with the ones after 2008 as they are in the hands of the US Government.

Pre-2009 Records Update

September 17, 2018 1:05PM EST

On March 22, 2018 Chapter 11 Trustee Mark Calvert filed a motion to destroy paper records "from before 2012", which in typical Calvert style was also referred to as records "from before 2013" (yes, in the same filing)

Ross Hansen objected to this, arguing that some records might be beneficial to his criminal trial. Right

A hearing was held on July 6, 2018, and an order was signed allowing Calvert to give the company records from 2008 and earlier to Ross Hansen, and the later records to the U.S. Government. Presumably, the records have already been transferred.

You had to pick a lake this deep and wide didn't you!!!
    Well this is where you decided to have your boating accident, now get your ass back down there and find those $4.50 rounds.

Last edited by valerb; 19th September 2018 at 07:19.
    I'm a proud member of Eggshellman's Liar, Shill, and bully club and a new member of the Super Jew Defense League!!!

There has been a lot of information going on regarding the end results of NWTM and the Trustee and how he has handled things.

This latest is from the creditor committee who has had inside information that none of us has had access to over the past two years.

Damning Letter From UCC Member

November 6, 2018 8:45PM EST

A member of the Unsecured Creditors' Committee (UCC) wrote a 57-page letter (the 57 pages including images, emails, etc., but not the exhibits that add another 13 pages) to the Court, which was filed last week. Remember, this person would be privy to information even I am not.

The letter is on behalf of unsecured creditors, on the subject of "Sierra Mint and other irregularities." It starts by discussing the dies in China, and states what many people have told me: Calvert knew of Wagner's plans to take over the China business going back to at least November, 2016 (despite him saying multiple times in court on May 4, 2018 that he had no knowledge of anyone, including Wagner, planning to use the Chinese dies). It goes on to discuss how Calvert referred to items in storage, yet there are no payments to storage companies. It discusses how the China business and customer list were never disclosed as an asset.

It discusses issues with the dies, and how Calvert never released an inventory of dies (despite having such an inventory), and how information on dies was left out of court documents (e.g. asset sales that mentioned dies, but no estimate of the number of dies in the sale), leaving many dies (albeit mainly "junk" dies) unaccounted for.

The letter states "There is a concerted effort to minimize the total number of dies and the value of what is in China." An email is submitted from Sierra Mint stating that their coins come from the same Chinese vendor that NWTM uses, and that "you should see no difference whatsoever" between the Sierra Mint coins and the NWTM coins. The letter provides evidence of Calvert saying "There's a great margin" in the Chinese business, while his attorney Gearin stated to the court that "We don't view that there is any value in [the China business]".

Also mentioned is a former employee that was contacting NWTM customers, that was being paid a monthly stipend by Calvert, that Calvert told the court was for help with die resolution issues -- yet the employee was in Virginia and had no involvement with dies. And it was mentioned that Wagner was supposed to be fired when the CEO was appointed. And how Wagner's plan "required the dismemberment of the company", suggesting that he may have influenced potential purchasers and/or Calvert's well-known protocol of not responding to potential purchasers (one buyer wrote "[Calvert] doesn't reply to emails or phone messages"). It questions why the investors that signed agreements to buy the company were not sued for breach of contract.

The letter says that Calvert "enabled and empowered Wagner the whole way." It points out how the CEO attempted to fire Wagner, but Calvert countermanded his order.

The letter suggests that the UCC attorney, Mark Northrup, was influenced by Calvert and Gearin to remove information from a response filed by the UCC (before it was filed). This was in regards to a motion to hire a Production Manager. The order was granted, yet Calvert hired the employee for a different position, and when questioned by the UCC he said "The Trustee can do as he pleases!"

It states that on February 17, 2017, the UCC voted for a full outside audit of the Trustee's books, and that the UCC attorney presented that vote as being a vote to appoint a financial advisor to review the Trustee's business plan. Had the UCC attorney done what the UCC reportedly requested, it could well have saved the company: an audit would have reflected extremely poorly on Calvert, and gotten him replaced by a competent Trustee (this sentence is mine, not in the letter).

The letter points out that the detailed storage inventory that the Trustee promised creditors was never supplied. Examples of serious accounting errors (after the bankruptcy filing) with storage metal were given. And how bullion wasn't accounted for under Calvert's reign.

It points out how Calvert kept claiming that the FBI was present for inventorying and had pictures of everything, but in reality, the FBI was only present for part of the inventory at 1 of 3 locations. The FBI never had any exposure to the 2 most seriously botched inventories, despite what Calvert implied. And it points out how the FBI found bullion in document containers provided by the Trustee (yikes!).

The letter ends requesting among other things that the Trustee's $4.8M bond be sequestered on behalf of the creditors, a full audit of the books, and that records be preserved.

Looks like a star witness is volunteering to come forward

CEO has Offered to Speak Up

November 8, 2018 4:10PM EST

I received an email from NWTM CEO Bill Atalla, who said:

"Please let it be known that if the Judge would like to question me on any subject, I will make myself available. I offer this with a view to fill in the blanks and maybe validate or refute various claims."

A lot of people have had a fear of speaking up, whether it be sharing information (such as on my anonymous tips page), writing to the court (the address is at the court website, just remember to include the case number, 16-11767-CMA), or something else.

There has been so much talk of wrongdoing, so it is refreshing to see someone willing to provide the truth.

It's to early to tell for sure, but it looks as if the Judge might be starting to take notice for real

The Judge Responds

November 9, 2018 2:25PM EST

On Tuesday, Judge Alston wrote a letter, addressed to the Trustee and his attorney. It relates to the WARN class action lawsuit settlement (which would provide money to about 100 employees terminated when NWTM shut down), which the Trustee hopes the Judge will approve at a hearing on November 16.

The judge points out concerns about the settlement payments going to 3 of the employees named in the recently filed letter from the UCC member, as two now work for Sierra Mint, and one is working for another company that apparently has access to NWTM customer artwork (and received $3,500 in "stipends" in the months before NWTM NWTM shut down -- I use quotes here because with Calvert's accounting, the exact word in accounting descriptions is truly meaningless).

It states that before the Court will approve any settlement providing for payments to those 3 employees, Calvert must file (summarized here by me): [1] a statement that he investigated and found those 3 employees are not at companies using NWTM assets, or state why the employees should still receive a settlement payment, [2] a copy of a memo that Wagner wrote about Sierra Mint, and [3] a statement identifying and describing the stipends that one employee received, explain why he did not receive authority from the Court to make the payments, and attach communications between him and the employee regarding those payments.

Are Indians circling the Trustees wagon???

Trustee Responds to the Judge

November 15, 2018 12:20PM EST

NWTM filed 4 declarations in response to Judge Alston's letter, one each from Mark Calvert, Paul Wagner, and two Sierra Mint employees (1, 2) that used to work at NWTM. The general tone is that everything was done by the book, except for one former employee that was contacting customers inappropriately (to be clear, not someone involved with Sierra Mint).

Judge Alston's letter stated "Before the Court will approve any settlement that provides for payments to [the 3 employees], the Trustee must file the following:", listing 3 items that I recently covered (the hearing is tomorrow, November 16, 201. Calvert supplied those items.

From what I can tell, two of the items seem pretty close to rock solid: the memo that Wagner provided (although made it sound like he was planning to just provide "promotional products"), and information about stipend payments (to reimburse for office expenses). The other piece, the investigation regarding the use of NWTM assets, well, it reads well, but in my opinion "misses the mark." It can be summarized with one line: "Based upon my dealings with Mr. Wagner over the past two and one half years, I believe him." (after Wagner stated under oath that Sierra Mint is paying to have copies of existing dies created).

For those that are unaware, these declarations were made under the penalty of perjury, meaning that in theory they could go to prison if they lied (to be clear, I am not aware of any direct lies in these statements as I write this).

Trustee Declaration Issue #1

Stipends... for die resolution?

November 15, 2018 12:55PM EST
    In the Trustee's declaration, Mark Calvert stated that the $550 monthly stipends to an employee (Ms. Johnson) were "a fixed monthly payment of $550 to cover office expenses while she worked from her home office ... [including] shipping samples, postage, printing supplies, office supplies, internet, utilities and other customer/office expenses to conduct business."
    That is all fine and good, and makes perfect sense. However:

At the May 4, 2018 hearing at 58:20, Judge Alston asked Calvert specifically about the $550 monthly stipend payments to Ms. Johnson. Calvert stated that she "was an employee of the company, she is assisting with some of the die resolution issues, and that it is a contractor in substance at this point."

I'll assume that the statement under oath is correct, and that Calvert was just spitballing in court, and got confused between the $550 monthly stipends to Ms. Johnson, and was thinking about the employee who actually did help with die resolution by signing a declaration about die resolution, after stealing customers (per Calvert) and working for MedalCraft (again, per Calvert). But there doesn't seem to be any sign that that employee got paid stipends for her declaration. But that employee did not get paid for her declaration. So how did Calvert confuse the two in court?

Calvert also declares "I have no reason to believe that Ms. Johnson ever set up a company or used NWTM designs or customer lists." To me, this is a very strange declaration, coming in the paragraph after writing "it was brought to my attention that Brenda Johnson was contacting former customers and offering to create product for them using designs from NWTM." How could Ms. Johnson have contacted customers without using the customer list? And how can Calvert state under penalty of perjury that he has no reason to believe that she "used NWTM designs", when she said that she was offering to create product "using designs from NWTM"? I guess it all depends on what the meaning of "is" is.

Trustee Declaration Issue #2

The Wagner Memo

November 15, 2018 3:50PM EST

Starting around April, 2018, allegations surfaced that NWTM President Paul Wagner started Sierra Mint, to "take over" NWTM's Chinese business. Judge Alston heard this allegation, and asked Calvert about it at the May 4, 2018 hearing. Calvert said that he had "great discussion" with Wagner, that Wagner had "no desire to buy any assets from this estate, no desire for any intellectual property", and that Wagner had sent him a memo about this.
    Calvert and Wagner each filed a copy of the memo last night.

The first issue is that there are allegations that Wagner had a business plan to do this dating back to around March, 2016, and that Calvert found a copy of that plan. This is not simply a specious allegation; a UCC member reported that UCC attorney Mark Northrup said so. An attorney, with a name; not an anonymous source or gossip. It is quite clear that Calvert knew about these plans, but Calvert declared "In March, 2018, Paul Wagner informed me that he intended to start a business called Sierra Mint to create promotional products." That implies (but does not state) that it is the first time Wagner told Calvert these plans, and implies that Calvert wasn't aware that Wagner wanted to "take over" the Chinese business. That is at the very least deceptive.

The second issue is that this memo says that Sierra Mint "is not so much a mint as it is an import business of promotional products, more akin to an ASI business" -- again, at the very least deceptive (ASI appears to refer to "logoed items like hats, T-shirts and bags"). This also conflicts with an email from before March, 2018 that I got a copy of where Wagner said that Sierra Mint is only interested in products that are made to order, not the stock products (Wagner was also considering buying the NWTM business as a whole at that time).

Also note that Wagner declares "In early March, 2018 ... I informed Mark Calvert of my intentions with respect to Sierra Mint." Note the carefully orchestrated declarations -- both Calvert and Wagner imply that Calvert first heard about Sierra Mint in March, 2018. But it appears that the facts state otherwise.

Trustee/Wagner Declaration Issue #3

Hiding the Trustee's Knowledge of Sierra Mint

November 15, 2018 8:55PM EST

The 4 declarations appear to be quite well orchestrated. Calvert and Wagner both make it sound like Calvert didn't know about Sierra Mint until March, 2018 (e.g. "In March, 2018, Paul Wagner informed me [Calvert] that he intended to start a business called Sierra Mint to create promotional products" -- adding "March, 2018" is completely irrelevant unless he first learned of this in March, 201. Being a declaration under penalty of perjury, they were careful not to directly lie.

I have now seen ample proof of Calvert's knowledge of Wagner's plan. For example:

•In Docket 1901, where the UCC member says that UCC attorney Mark Northrup told her that Calvert found a copy of a business plan on Wagner's desk

•I have been given a copy of an email to Calvert in 2017 "recapping" that Calvert mentioned a concern early on that Wagner would take over the Chinese business and possibly compete with NWTM.

•I have been given a copy of an email from Wagner sent from an NWTM computer in January, 2018 (to a vendor, not Calvert) stating that Sierra Mint was interested in custom products, not stock products.

So why isn't Calvert coming out and being forthcoming, stating what he knew when? It's that old saying, if you act guilty, people think you are guilty. Just be honest, tell the whole truth, and we'll believe you.
    Last edited by valerb; 16th November 2018 at 08:52.

Trustee/Wagner Declaration Issue #4

What is an 'Investigation'?

November 16,2018

Judge Alston required "A statement under penalty of perjury that [Calvert] has conducted an investigation", of the following items. This should have been a piece of cake for Calvert, a licensed private investigator.

•Investigate that "neither Mr. Colwell, Mr. Fleet, or Ms. Johnson have ever used, or have ever worked for or with a company that has ever used, any assets of the bankruptcy estate". Calvert's investigation? "I have no reason to believe that Ms. Johnson ever set up a company or used NWTM designs or customer lists." Calvert also used his super PI skills to uncover her LinkedIn page (his results: no change since she left NWTM). Calvert did not mention Mr. Fleet at all, and the only reference to Colwell was unrelated. Huh.

•"the Trustee must address the alleged use of Mint customer lists... ". For this, Calvert had previously been aware that "[Ms. Johnson] was contacting former customers", but said that he had "no reason to believe that Ms. Johnson ever ... used [NWTM] customer lists". And he at one point in time, separate from this investigation, told Wagner not to use the customer lists. Again, huh.

•"... art servers ...". For this, addressed in paragraph 14, he mentioned that Edgar Chacon (a former NWTM employee) "was going to lock the computers up in the archive room at the Dayton facility", and that the computers were later sold at auction. Interestingly, this investigation only refers to computers in Dayton, 700 miles away from Kent (the location of computers raised by concerns of the UCC member). The concern was that computers in Kent, WA went to Wagner and/or Fleet, yet Calvert only mentions computers in Dayton.

•"... designs ...". Here, Calvert states that he was informed that "[Ms. Johnson was] offering to create product for [NWTM customers] using designs from NWTM", but that "I have no reason to believe that Ms. Johnson ever set up a company or used NWTM designs". The word "design" does not appear in any references to Wagner, Colwell, Fleet, or Sierra Mint. This is mind boggling, both his declaration, and the fact that his investigation only covered 1 person.

•"... or dies located in China or anywhere else.". For this part of the investigation, he simply states that he does not know why Ms. Baker stated that Sierra Mint could make product using "existing dies", and that Wagner stated that Sierra Mint pays to have new dies made. Quite the investigation!

•Finally, Calvert "must also address the emails from the Mint employee in July 2018 referring Mint customers to Sierra Mint to obtain reorders of products from existing dies.". For this, Calvert responded with "I do not know why Ms. Baker stated that the product could be made using “existing dies.” I can only speculate that she was mistaken in her understanding. I have spoken with Paul Wagner who ... is paying to have new dies made to create its product." Again, his entire investigation was asking the accused, who Calvert trusts. And if Wagner is paying for new dies, how is it that Colwell was quoted as saying "you should see no difference whatsoever" between existing coins and freshly produced ones.
    So would you hire this private investigator?

Wagner Declaration

November 16, 2018 11:15AM EST

Paul Wagner signed a declaration under the penalties of perjury. Among other things, he states:

•"I informed [Calvert, in March 2018] that I did not believe that Sierra Mint had any need for any assets of NWTM of Medallic Arts Company, LLC..."

•"Sierra Mint does not and has not used dies that were manufactured by Chinese manufacturers to create product for NWTM or its former customers. For each product ordered by Sierra Mint for a customer, including former NWTM customers, the Chinese manufacturer has created new dies which Sierra Mint has paid for."

•"Sierra Mint does not possess the art or design files that belong to NWTM ... Fleet does not have access to NWTM's art files, nor does Sierra Mint use them."

Evidence Wanted

November 17, 2018 10:35AM EST

On Thursday, declarations were filed by Calvert, Colwell, Fleet, and Wagner, all under the penalty of perjury. That is about the closest legal equivalent to "I swear on my Mother's grave." So all the information should be true.
    If anyone has any evidence suggesting otherwise, I would appreciate an email or anonymous tip.

UPDATE November 19, 2018 5:10PM: Thank you to those who have been sending information. All information is appreciated.

Nov 16, 2018 Hearing Details

November 19, 2018 5:10PM EST

The November 16, 2018 hearing was intended to be about the WARN Act settlement. However, with Judge Alston requiring Calvert to conduct an investigation and provide details before the WARN Act settlement would be approved, much of the hearing was about that.

Chapter 11 Trustee Mark Calvert's attorney, Michael Gearin, started discussing the investigation by saying that he thought that the catalyst for it (the letter from the UCC member) was based on "falsehoods and baseless innuendo." Yet Gearin was unable to provide any explanation as to why Ms. Baker was saying that Sierra Mint would use existing dies, when Wagner claims otherwise.

Judge Alston made it clear that there are many questions that must be answered. Gearin said that "Wagner said he never appropriated dies or did anything with them. We are telling you, this did not happen."

Most of the rest of the hearing was about a concern about the number of employees in the settlement agreement. There are 100 on the list, but the monthly operating reports make it look like 106 people were laid off. Gearin and Calvert were unable to account for the discrepancy, so Judge Alston continued the issue, until the discrepancy could be addressed.

In the last few minutes, the judge brought up some stipend payments that were made without authorization of the Court, as the judge believes they were not made in the ordinary course of business.

"The above does not really represent what happened in that hearing at all. I listened to that tape myself and as the attorney started to bad mouth the letter from the UCC member the judge cut him off with a tirade of his own accusing them of not doing things right and not following his instructions and letting them know he was pissed and had enough. He also said the trustee was not going to get a dime until he was satisfied with the results. There are a number of different version that took place and they do not all agree with what the trustee has been telling the judge in his documents and the judge seems wanting to get to the bottom as to what is true and what is not. Which is the reason for these declarations listed above. Ok guys, your under oath now, you better not be lying!!! "

Last edited by valerb; 20th November 2018 at 05:54.

$93K(?) Cash Shipped From Dayton to Washington Missing

November 21, 2018 6:55PM EST

I have found out that on at least 3 occasions after the shutdown, Calvert's company (Cascade Capital) had cash shipped from Dayton to Washington.
    In the first instance I am aware of, $80,000.00 cash from a scrap sale was shipped via UPS from Dayton to Washington, in July, 2018. Another package of about $3,000 of cash was shipped via UPS in early August, 2018.

Then, in late August, 2018, another package of cash was shipped from Dayton to Washington, this time via FedEx. And guess what? The shipment was received damaged, and some or all of the cash was missing. No report of this was made in the monthly operating reports. The income statement shows $93K of scrap sold that month, and from what I can see, it looks like that may be the missing cash.

According to the UPS 'List of Prohibited Articles for Shipping' page, "The following articles are prohibited from shipment to all countries served by UPS: ... Bank bills, notes or currency (other than coin)". Yikes!

My Letter to the Court (Not valerb)

November 29, 2018 4:25PM EST

I have written a letter to the court, which arrived yesterday, and hopefully will be filed today.
    It has a lot of information in it. The catalyst for writing it was the declarations recently filed by Calvert, Wagner, and Wagner's two employees.

My letter includes evidence that I have uncovered that could help determine whether Sierra Mint used NWTM assets (mostly infringement on NWTM's registered copyrights and NWTM's registered trademark). If they did, it would contradict what the declarations said or implied.

The letter also places the value of NWTM's "China business" at $5M+ as of early in the last quarter of 2017 (based simply on Calvert's valuation of NWTM and the percent of revenue derived from the China business), which contradicts Calvert's statement that "the insinuation that ... the NWTM business operation using Chinese manufacturers [is a] valuable [asset] is false". It points out how I have not seen anything in court documents about the China business being sold, or even mentioned as an asset of the estate. The China business was not sold to Sierra Mint (according to Calvert's declaration).

I also include evidence that I believe proves that Sierra Mint is selling products that are owned by NWTM (NWTM store products). Since Calvert's declaration states that NWTM did not receive any money from Sierra Mint, how could Sierra Mint be selling NWTM-owned products?

The letter further discusses how the attorneys for the creditors' committee appear to have not done anything to address the concerns of fraud and mismanagement. Had the attorneys addressed the concerns when they were first raised, NWTM might still be operating today.