Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WD40 prevents silver from tarnishing

Default WD40 prevents silver from tarnishing

F.Y.I. the spray oil called WD40 prevents silver from tarnishing. WD40 is really mostly only just fish oil.

While the manufacturers support the idea that WD40 can be used to prevent silver tarnish, it is FAR from just fish oil.

Although I love the smell...I would never put it on my silver. Too messy.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/wd-40.asp

As for the claim the "basic ingredient" in WD-40 is "fish oil," it's a common rumor and one that is easily propagated (because cans of WD-40 spray include no ingredients list), but a glance at the composition information included in the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for WD-40 aerosol indicates the product is primarily petroleum-based, with the main ingredient being "solvent naptha, petroleum, medium aliphatic" (also known as Stoddard Solvent):
    solvent naphtha petroleum, medium aliphatic, > 60%
    petroleum base oil as paraffinic distillate, heavy, solvent-dewaxed (severe), 15% to 25%
    corrosion inhibitor unregulated, 1% to 10%
    wetting agent unregulated, 1% to 10%
    fragrance unregulated, 0% to 1%
    carbon dioxide, 2% to 3%
    - Time is Silver.

I wonder how silocone spray would do on silver? it would likely result in a alot of dropped bars...

Quote Originally Posted by krispy View Post
    I wonder how silocone spray would do on silver? it would likely result in a alot of dropped bars...
    I wouldn't bother. If it gets a little tarnish, dip in one of those cleaners and it's new again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Omnis combibo

Quote Originally Posted by What is Truth? View Post
    F.Y.I. the spray oil called WD40 prevents silver from tarnishing. WD40 is really mostly only just fish oil.
    Just buy 20 coins together, so that you get them in tubes, leave them alone and they won't tarnish.

I don't care if my bars tarnish, some are in plastic and some are not, if they tarnish, hell at least I know it's silver.

Quote Originally Posted by My Pants Are Cold View Post
    I wouldn't bother. If it gets a little tarnish, dip in one of those cleaners and it's new again.
    But then you're actually LOSING silver...albeit a VERY small amount. Hot water / baking soda / Al foil and you won't lose any precious Ag!
    - Time is Silver.

....and the occasional broken metatarsal...ouch
    Last edited by Clutha; 11th April 2009 at 05:20. Reason: spelling
    Those who live by the sword...generally get shot by those who do not.
    (Unknown Author)

While I don't put anything on my bars, I'm clumsy generally, so I find it safest to handle my silver while wearing steel-toes boots. 100 oz bar + gravity = broken toe.

Quote Originally Posted by Argyria View Post
    While I don't put anything on my bars, I'm clumsy generally, so I find it safest to handle my silver while wearing steel-toes boots. 100 oz bar + gravity = broken toe.

lol! really? nah, youmus be kidding.

that would be hilarious.

my girlfriend brought home some fine white jewelers gloves for me yesterday so I could handle my prized pieces without scratching them/oiling them up. too bad they seem to be made for thin jewelers hands, but hey, they get the job done.

thats kind of the oppposite of steel toes tho!

lol! really? nah, youmus be kidding.

that would be hilarious.

my girlfriend brought home some fine white jewelers gloves for me yesterday so I could handle my prized pieces without scratching them/oiling them up. too bad they seem to be made for thin jewelers hands, but hey, they get the job done.

thats kind of the oppposite of steel toes tho!
    Wearing steel toes and white jeweler gloves....what a mental picture that makes.
    - Time is Silver.