Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 134

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

'96 ASE spots

Thread: '96 ASE spots

Default '96 ASE spots

Knowing that '96 was a real bad year for spotting, and it also being a key date....if one wished to acquire a spot-free example, what's the best way? A search turns up no shortage of them for sale, but a lot of them appear to be lower quality. Would buying one in a PCGS or NGC holder guarantee a spot-fre one, or did they give MS69 to spotted ones too? I'd be reluctant to take a seller's word on it, because they make no mention of it in the first place. And, personally, the spots would drive me crazy...

Hey, clr8ter, purchasing a graded coin does not prevent you from receiving an undesirable coin. I once picked up a graded commemorative coin, and I was not pleased when I discovered a spot on the coin. I promptly returned the coin with the following note:

'I wish to exchange Marine Corps 2005-P Dollar PCGS PR69DCAM #921007.69/13295515 due to coin condition. Present on the obverse rim is a 0.1 cm black mark.'

The coin company replaced the spotted coin.

Mmmm, I suspected as much. So, they don't necessarily grade for aesthetics...Crap. So, it's maybe just a crap shoot? And make sure you can return it ahead of time then, huh? Or buy one locally.

Quote Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
    Mmmm, I suspected as much. So, they don't necessarily grade for aesthetics...Crap. So, it's maybe just a crap shoot? And make sure you can return it ahead of time then, huh? Or buy one locally.
    make sure you read the fine print on returning an item, I believe most places have a restocking fee as a percentage of the original cost.

unless you can find one that guarantees your satisfaction without a restocking fee, buying locally is probably your best bet, depending on their price.
    I'm a proud member of Eggshellman's Liar, Shill, and bully club and a new member of the Super Jew Defense League!!!

IMO the spot was not present during the grading process, rather the spot occurred sometime after being sealed.

Knowing that '96 was a real bad year for spotting, and it also being a key date....if one wished to acquire a spot-free example, what's the best way? A search turns up no shortage of them for sale, but a lot of them appear to be lower quality. Would buying one in a PCGS or NGC holder guarantee a spot-fre one, or did they give MS69 to spotted ones too? I'd be reluctant to take a seller's word on it, because they make no mention of it in the first place. And, personally, the spots would drive me crazy...
    I own 3 of these. My first I bought was in real bad shape for spot +$1 at an LCS. My second was part of a complete graded set of MS69 ASE's. My third was also bought from the same LCS in even better condition than the slabbed MS69 but for a reasonable premium but paid sales more on sales tax too.

The slabbed one has a bit of patina. No spotting just some patina with a minor scratch. The unslabbed one had no patina to speak of and plenty of luster but the minor scratch which would make it an MS69. If you would like I can try to post a picture of both so you can decide. But regardless my best advice would be to look for one at an LCS so you can see the coin in the flesh so you can get an idea of what your getting.

Quote Originally Posted by broox419 View Post
    The unslabbed one had no patina to speak of and plenty of luster but the minor scratch which would make it an MS69.
    Do you mean that if the coin did not have a minor scratch then the coin would be a MS70? If so, I recommend reading Scott Travers's 'One-Minute Coin Expert'. Scott says that "Mint State-68 coins aren't far behind. These, too, look nearly perfect to the unaided eye and betray only very minor flaws under a 10-power glass."

Quote Originally Posted by jimi View Post
    Do you mean that if the coin did not have a minor scratch then the coin would be a MS70? If so, I recommend reading Scott Travers's 'One-Minute Coin Expert'. Scott says that "Mint State-68 coins aren't far behind. These, too, look nearly perfect to the unaided eye and betray only very minor flaws under a 10-power glass."
    Yeah it's hard to say I haven't looked at it magnified. I own a '91 and '92 that look flawless but I am afraid to send them into NGC or PCGS just for the reason you point out. I don't want to pay the fees for grading only to find they are MS69's. But on the other hand if they are MS70's they would fetch a pretty penny.

I will check out the book thanks for the tip