Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 134

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Ice Test Your Suspect Silber

Thread: Ice Test Your Suspect Silber

Default Ice Test Your Suspect Silber

I recently encountered the below article:

https://bullion.nwtmint.com/silver/s...entic-bars.php

Of course I've got a few of these 1 oz. bars -- vacuum sealed individually inside a plastic sheet. So, I set out to determine real or counterfeit bar.

measurement - thickness - I made an inches to centimeters conversion: .083in = .21082cm & .126in = .30042cm result: <.30042cm
    stamp - got it -- one troy oz @ .999 fine silver
    magnetic - no attraction
    ice test - ice began to melt straight away -- this is the first time I've heard of the ice test.
    ring test - yep the bell tone sound is present
    chemical test - I did not perform this test.

http://www.wikihow.com/Test-Silver

weight = 1.095oz -- One troy ounce is equivalent to approximately 1.09714 avoirdupois ounces.

My conclusion: I've got the real thing. I suppose this is why I pay a little extra premium for gov't issued silver.

Have you dealt with suspect silver? If so, tell us about it.

Quote Originally Posted by jimi View Post
    I recently encountered the below article:

https://bullion.nwtmint.com/silver/s...entic-bars.php

Of course I've got a few of these 1 oz. bars -- vacuum sealed individually inside a plastic sheet. So, I set out to determine real or counterfeit bar.

measurement - thickness - I made an inches to centimeters conversion: .083in = .21082cm & .126in = .30042cm result: <.30042cm
    stamp - got it -- one troy oz @ .999 fine silver
    magnetic - no attraction
    ice test - ice began to melt straight away -- this is the first time I've heard of the ice test.
    ring test - yep the bell tone sound is present
    chemical test - I did not perform this test.

http://www.wikihow.com/Test-Silver

weight = 1.095oz -- One troy ounce is equivalent to approximately 1.09714 avoirdupois ounces.

My conclusion: I've got the real thing. I suppose this is why I pay a little extra premium for gov't issued silver.

Have you dealt with suspect silver? If so, tell us about it.

That's some good information, but not all manufactures use the exact same size specifications as Northwest territorial Mint, especially in the larger bars. You can also find different size from the same manufacture for the same weight, especially over time. I had different shape 100 ounce Engelhard bars.

Those test can help, but I prefer to buy brand new directly from a major mint.

I didn't even trust the ASE monster boxes. Cut that seall and make sure what's inside is real. I'll take that 10 cent per ounce hit for a broken seal versus finding out the contents are not Silver and I've really taken a beating years later. Try convincing anyone years later that you were shipped fake Silver and your government seal had been tampered with. And yes I also check the Silver shipped directly from a major mint. Not that I worry about it being fake but making sure it's a good batch and not something that has been in circulation.
    I'm a proud member of Eggshellman's Liar, Shill, and bully club and a new member of the Super Jew Defense League!!!

Quote Originally Posted by valerb View Post

I didn't even trust the ASE monster boxes. Cut that seall and make sure what's inside is real. I'll take that 10 cent per ounce hit for a broken seal versus finding out the contents are not Silver and I've really taken a beating years later. Try convincing anyone years later that you were shipped fake Silver and your government seal had been tampered with. And yes I also check the Silver shipped directly from a major mint. Not that I worry about it being fake but making sure it's a good batch and not something that has been in circulation.

At least you are not calling them mother boxes anymore, not that anyone believes you actually have any.

p.s. most people club their sealls

Quote Originally Posted by billmr View Post
    At least you are not calling them mother boxes anymore, not that anyone believes you actually have any.

It doesn't matter what you or anyone else believes, it only matters to the dealer when I sell them.

Are you still on that devalued Dollar kick over the past century and how it isn't worth anything and life is so much harsher today that I couldn't possibly afford to buy thousands of ounces of Silver, especially in the $4 - $6 range?

I'm a proud member of Eggshellman's Liar, Shill, and bully club and a new member of the Super Jew Defense League!!!

That's one unusual bank safe deposit box you have there, to fit in those mother boxes of silver.
    "If you don't know where you're going, you might end up some place else."
    - Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Xizang View Post
    That's one unusual bank safe deposit box you have there, to fit in those mother boxes of silver.
    You can probably fit a monster box in one of those large boxes on the bottom, but that would be paying to store plastic and not Silver.
    You can store bars and tubes filled with different size rounds very efficiently in most boxes except the very smallest. Of course if your only storing gold, that small box might do just fine for many investors.

I do store the empty monster boxes at home along with the shipping containers from NWTM. Someday I'll need them for shipping to a dealer in all probability. I don't have any shipping containers for all those fractional rounds I bought from Golden State Mint, as they don't have a standard shipping container for fractional rounds or at least they didn't a few years ago when I bought mine.

I suppose this might seem strange to you since your adding small quantities at a time, but when you buy them in quantities greater than 500 at a time, they always come shipped in a standard shipping contain with smaller boxes for each one hundred that hold the individual tubes. Very efficient packing and doesn't require anything else.