Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Ever wonder about that silver coin of yours? It's past, who has owned it and where?

Thread: Ever wonder about that silver coin of yours? It's past, who has owned it and where?

Default Ever wonder about that silver coin of yours? It's past, who has owned it and where?

I'm kind of a history buff. Growing up in Colorado and spending weekends and summers in the Colorado Rockies, exploring old ghost towns around gold and silver mines and boomtowns gone bust, got me into the background of our metals.

Have you ever held a coin - maybe an old silver dollar, or even a brand new Silver Eagle or Silver Maple - and tried to imagine where it's been? Can you imagine what that old Morgan silver dollar meant to someone back in 1878, besides just the pay for a full day's work? Or maybe a Peace silver dollar, which might have been made out of melted down old worn-out Morgans. Maybe that little bit of silver has been fought over. Maybe someone died for it. Maybe it's been carried in pockets on old steam trains, sailing ships, on horseback or mule. It may have been to foreign countries.

Even more intriguing is that gold coin. Maybe it was once Aztec gold - an old gold cup or bowl, confiscated by the Spanish and taken back to Spain while the Aztecs or Mayans lay dying of smallpox. Maybe that gold coin was once part of a king's treasury, later melted and used to pay a nation's debts.

Just wondering - any of you guys ever hold a piece of metal and wonder just where all it's been, and what it's meant to people in years past?
    "If you don't know where you're going, you might end up some place else."
    - Yogi Berra

I was just thinking about a high school friend of mine, way back in 1964. We were all trying to figure out what we wanted to be (besides corpses in the jungles of Viet Nam) when we grew up. One friend said he wanted to be a funeral director. So he started spending some time hanging out at funeral homes and a crematory. He told us of one guy who worked in the crematorium, who scraped out ashes and boxed them up. The guy was supplementing his income by picking out bits of gold and silver that melted out of dental work. I'm wondering how many of those recycled bits and pieces of gold and silver from people's teeth make their way back into gold and silver bullion we stash away. You never know where the stuff came from...
    - Yogi Berra

I recently bought a 1925 peace dollar that someone drilled a hole into. I don't know why somebody would do that to a coin with that much silver content. I guess they wanted to use it as a keychain or something.....

Quote Originally Posted by broox419 View Post
    I recently bought a 1925 peace dollar that someone drilled a hole into. I don't know why somebody would do that to a coin with that much silver content. I guess they wanted to use it as a keychain or something.....
    I can't refer to earlier times because I'm just not that old, but I do remember seeing a number of girls that wore Silver Dollars around their neck back in the 50's and 60's. Ok that was a long time ago, but it doesnt go back to the 20's. Keep in mind they were only worth one Dollar plus the cost of a necklace. There weren't many people hoarding Silver coins back then as it's value was very low. I do remember one old timer asking everyone on a daily basis if they had any mercury dimes in their pockets back in 1965 at work. Now there was a guy looking to cash in on a very small margin of Silver content. He was pushing retirement age at the time and I often wondered if he ever lived long enough to cash in on Silvers rise 15 years later.
    I'm a proud member of Eggshellman's Liar, Shill, and bully club and a new member of the Super Jew Defense League!!!

How much of our silver currency was made with silver that was from old circulated coins, being melted and recycled as new silver coins?
    - Yogi Berra