Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

The Amazing 1 Candle Space Heater

Thread: The Amazing 1 Candle Space Heater

Default The Amazing 1 Candle Space Heater

The 1 Candle Space Heater

I just researched and built two 1 candle powered space heaters!
    They provide light and get up to 230 degree temperatures from the energy released by a single candle!
    They cost around $15 -$20 to build one!

Tools needed:
    Tin snips and small pliers

Parts:
    3 small THIN Terra Cotta Pots. (get at Michaels not at Lowes)
    1 Terra Cotta Pot base. (get at Michaels not at Lowes)
    1 carriage bolt. (1/2 inch longer than biggest pot)
    A bunch of nuts and washers of various widths
    1 star shaped cookie cutter.
    1 Glass jar/vase to hold candle

This is the smaller, MOST efficient , heater of the two.

This is what is going on inside the pots… The washers act as heat diffusers…
    So, you want some WIDE washers too, which don’t touch the edge of the pots…
    (Run with this idea, but don’t get all obsessed about the details here.)

The middle pot needs to be suspended upon a “breathing bracket” so that the Candle will have air.
    This, my Modified breathing bracket, is made out of a star shaped cookie cutter...
    Use tin snips to clip edges of star and fold them out to fit the top of your jar/vase.
    - God's Walky Talky

"L A N . . A S T A S L E M"
    I will NOT submit to islam!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
    Edmund Burke 1729-1797

This is my 1st Bigger Pot experiment.
    It works, but not as well as the smaller model.

The “standard hardware store plant pots” are heavier, thicker and take MUCH longer to heat up!
    Also, if you use 3 standard thickness pots the outside one will not get but 100 degrees hot.
    we ended up useing just 2 pots on this first attempt...

all parts bought at Lowes.

Last edited by Steadfast; 6th December 2013 at 12:42.
    - God's Walky Talky

"L A N . . A S T A S L E M"
    I will NOT submit to islam!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
    Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Quote Originally Posted by Steadfast View Post
    This is my 1st Bigger Pot experiment.
    It works, but not as well as the smaller model.

The “standard hardware store plant pots” are heavier, thicker and take MUCH longer to heat up!
    Also, if you use 3 standard thickness pots the outside one will not get but 100 degrees hot.
    we ended up useing just 2 pots on this first attempt...

all parts bought at Lowes.

So what's the bottom line to this experiment?

Are you simply capturing the heat from a couple candles that would otherwise dissipate in the surrounding room temperature and have no effect on the room temperature at all?

As in concentrating that small amount of heat in a confined area to be used as radiant heat for anyone close to it.

Which would be one hell of a lot better than holding your hands over a lit candle trying to warm them.

Are you suggesting you can get more heat from the candle with this setup or better utilize that heat?

I can see that utilizing clay pots will make the heat last longer, once you have heated up those pots, but it sounds like a trade off to me. Your not getting any heat from them in the beginning and they last longer after the candle burns out.

Wouldn't a metal dome serve the same purpose with radiant heat, but heat much faster, with higher temperatures and be cheaper to construct? Of course the temp would depend on the thickness and type of metal.

Could be a great way to put those expensive 100 hour candles to use.

Forgetting about being able to use those solar panels of yours to produce some heat, assuming your windmill is broken and so is your ax and your stash of wood to burn is all gone.

How many of these things do you think it would take to survive on a cold winter night in the Carolina's? Not trying to heat your entire house, just one living area that your family was huddled in?

Do you think it's possible to set up enough of these to keep the room temp, say above 40 or even 50 degrees?

I'm not trying to poo poo this idea, just trying to find out if it's really worth while and if there's a much cheaper alternative than spending $15 - $20 each and a lot of time building something we may never need.

You can stock pile a boat load of candles for next to nothing when buying in bulk and if you can find a cheap and fast way to build a dome, you only need to buy the material in advance and not actually spend all the time making them in advance.

If a metal dome would work, there are a lot of cheap things in the heating business that would only take minor modification at best.

I'm no expert in thermodynamics, but I don't see how we can get more heat out than what is originally there, only control where that heat is concentrated.

As an after thought, wouldn't a wide mouth Mason jar be a good base product. It's clear and would allow maximum light, it is strong and can take the heat. Assuming your candle would fit.

This started my worrying about a power failure, again. I just can't get enough power out of all those 45 watt kits to make a difference in the cold. Great for lighting and a small fridge with my battery bank.

I ordered a 30,000 BTU ventless dual fuel heater and another 10,000 BTU duel fuel heater for my basement. Assuming power is out but they have backup power to keep the natural gas flowing.

You can only last so long on your Kerosene and Propane fuel, but if the natural gas is still flowing, you can't beat that for a heat source, as long as you have an efficient way of using it without power.

For a little over $300, it might be the best heat source investment I've made to date and it doesn't take an end of the world scenario to freeze to death, just some bad luck in a bad location.
    Last edited by valerb; 9th December 2013 at 14:52.
    I'm a proud member of Eggshellman's Liar, Shill, and bully club and a new member of the Super Jew Defense League!!!