Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Serious Freeware Download Links - Summer 2013

Thread: Serious Freeware Download Links - Summer 2013

Thumbs up Serious Freeware Download Links - Summer 2013

BB FlashBack Express
    Record your screen, sound and webcam - Share movies with one-click upload to Youtube and other video sharing sites
    Save movies as Flash or AVI files - Create great demos and tutorials with BB FlashBack Express - the free screen recorder

CCleaner
    (Crap Cleaner) CCleaner is the number-one tool for cleaning your Windows PC. It protects your privacy online and makes your computer faster and more secure. Easy to use and a small, fast download.

DeleD is a 3D modeler designed to help you create content for your game project, whether you're a professional or indy game developer.
    Other areas in which you can put DeleD to good use are, for example, educational services, webdesign, prototyping and image creation.
    DeleD focusses on five areas to provide in your daily modeling needs. These are:
    Geometry Editing: DeleD has lots of tools to modify 3D objects, including Smoothing and Boolean Operators
    Animation: DeleD provides a basic animation system allowing you to create animated objects in no-time
    UV Mapping: DeleD has a build-in UV editor, enabling you to skin your objects in detail
    Lightmapping: DeleD lights up your world with advanced lightmapping functions
    Raytracing: DeleD can create stunning pictures with its build-in raytracer
    In addition to that, DeleD has great support for commonly used fileformats / game engines + we'll add yours if wanted!
    So whatever pipeline you're using, DeleD fits in perfectly. And as if that isn't enough already, DeleD comes with hundreds of professional textures and prefabricated 3D models. DeleD is easy enough to be used by novice modelers yet also powerful enough to be the choice tool of veteran modelers.

Microsoft Mathematics 4.0
    Microsoft Mathematics provides a graphing calculator that plots in 2D and 3D, step-by-step equation solving, and useful tools to help students with math and science studies.

Paragon Backup & Recovery 2013 Free Edition - a time-tested backup and recovery tool. With it, you will have full control over the security of your system and data. Based on solid commercial backup and recovery software from Paragon Software, Backup & Recovery Free Edition will give you a rich set of features that you can trust. Free Edition can easily create an exact copy of your hard drive, including the operating system, applications, user settings, and all data.
    "I foresee little future in 'the price of silver', I see a huge future for 'the price in silver'." - heartbone
    "The truth is called hate by those who hate the truth." - K

Thumbs up Thumbs up. Powerful Stuff. Get the latest version 13.04.

I recently installed UBUNTU 12.10 and it is really nice.
    After installing and updating everything I realized that
    I DID NOT HAVE TO TYPE ANYTHING BUT MY USERID AND PASSWORD,
    everything else was accomplished by clicking on menus.
    No rough edges remain, a big change from the earlier versions.

UBUNTU is (finally) ready for the prime time, for sure.

YouTube videos, PDFs, MHTs, MP3s and every other multimedia file that I regularly use are very well handled.
    It seems to handle network connections and devices better and faster than either Windows XP Professional or Vista Ultimate.
    Again no rough edges remain, no typing of mysterious commands needed.

It seems this UBUNTU OS is a much better alternative to Windows 8 (unless you depend on Microsoft Windows only software)
    because it's fast, user friendly, and extremely low cost.

Instead of buying an expensive computer running Windows 8,
    your current hardware running UBUNTU should do the job for most everyone.
    Whether web browsing, e-mail, social apps, or online shopping, as soon as UBUNTU is installed
    one can immediately start experiencing the unrestricted, DRM free future of computing.

The primary function of a computer OS is to provide an environment to run software.
    From the desktop user point of view UBUNTU is a very straightforward computing environment
    which presents a responsive and consistent OS user interface to the user,
    without the gimmick of imposing a dumbed down smart phone style front end on the user.

Microsoft has continued to show their true colors of DRM imposition
    and system lock down with their original XBOX ONE implementation intentions.
    I for one will not support any more of their user abuse. Abuse like no recent service pack for Windows 7.
    And after working with UBUNTU the past week, I plan to never buy another new OS from them.
    I may need to acquire a used Win 7 desktop for development/testing, as I do plan to support Windows 7, but I will not support Windows 8.
    If code development on Linux is not too difficult, then I'll concentrate on releasing my games for UBUNTU first,
    and then only if there is interest, for Windows up through version 7.
    I plan to actually prohibit my games from running on Windows 8 to dis Microsoft and to encourage Linux adoption.
    If developing in Linux turns out to be too difficult, I'll just stick with developing for the earlier Windows versions users.
    Win 8 users will either have to pay to play the "app", or emulate XP.
    "I foresee little future in 'the price of silver', I see a huge future for 'the price in silver'." - heartbone

Cool It's probably better than Windows 8 too.

OK, there was one rough edge for me in using "Raring Ringtail" (UBUNTU 13.04).
    My HP 20" LCD (model S2031) monitor was not recognized,
    and its display was stuck at 1024x768 resolution on a 1600x900 display.
    It took me quite a bit of internet research to figure out how to patch it.
    On the other hand, I've encountered no problems at all running it on my HP laptop or my daughter's DELL desktop.

If it were not for the power of internet as a communications tool,
    the UBUNTU OS certainly could not have gotten to this point where it's actually better than XP or Vista!
    Using UBUNTU I can perform most all the tasks that I used XP for, including running Windows software!!!

The only reason that I really need to run Windows is to play MADDEN 13 NFL,
    and I am working on a way to run that football simulation in Linux.
    If I do, I believe that I'll be the first on the planet to do so.

THIS JUST IN: Windows 8 banned by world’s top benchmarking and overclocking site
    Of course they'll just have to patch it.
    Last edited by silverheartbone; 20th August 2013 at 11:10.

Quote Originally Posted by silverheartbone View Post
    The only reason that I really need to run Windows is to play MADDEN 13 NFL,
    and I am working on a way to run that football simulation in Linux.
    If I do, I believe that I'll be the first on the planet to do so.
    I did get MADDEN NFL 08 to work, but I was not even close to first.

Soon I won't need Microsoft Windows for anything!
    I have found most everything to replace functionality on Windows for free
    from the Canonical repositories that you are encouraged to access for your software.
    UBUNTU comes bundled with Firefox (web browser), Thunderbird (e-mail client),
    Libre OFFICE suite (MS Word/Excel/Powepoint/Draw clones), and Rhythmbox mp3 player,
    along with the usual assortment of notepad, PDF viewer, solitiare, Mah-Jongg, Minesweeper, and so on...
    I downloaded GIMP (better than Photoshop), VLC (media player), FreetuxTV (channel player),
    DOSBox (MS DOS emulator), GParted (hard drive partition editor), Bless Hex Editor, Boot Up Manager,
    GNU Paint (simpler than GIMP), Furius ISO Mount (like DAEMON Tools), Geogebra (math composer),
    Audacious (winamp clone), WINE (Windows emulator), PCSX (Playstation emulator),
    Mupen64Plus (Nintendo 64 emulator), Stella (2600 emulator), and a few free games like Gbrainy, and Liquid Wars.
    Everything works as well or better (faster) than the equivalent Windows programs.

I use GoldWave and saw a free Linux audio editor that did similar things,
    but I doubt if it is as comprehensive as GoldWave,
    so I'll just have to run that utility using WINE.

One oversight, I haven't looked for a screen recorder yet.

Microsoft would have to pay me to go back to Windoze.
    In fact I feel that they owe me for the last mistake I bought in 2008 that had Vista Ultimate installed.
    This laptop finally feels like it should have all the time when running a professional OS.

If you are one of the people still running Firefox,
    (the sheeple have gone to Chrome)
    and you are happy with how your browser is running,
    then you may want to upgrade all of your extensions and add-ons by the end of the month.

I think that TPTB are about to make a few changes to FF next month,
    and you may be forced into them when you need to upgrade your browser, whether you like it or not.

If you update your current browser this month, that increases your chance of delaying any forced browser upgrades due to old technology.

I'm going to lock down Firefox 23, and when it becomes too old to be the primary browser for daily use, then like Internet Explorer in Windoze, I'll keep it around as a secondary or legacy browser.

Lightbulb Long Term Support = Extended Service Release

Quote Originally Posted by silverheartbone View Post
    Microsoft would have to pay me to go back to Windoze.
    In fact I feel that they owe me for the last mistake I bought in 2008 that had Vista Ultimate installed.
    This laptop finally feels like it should have all the time when running a professional OS.

If you are one of the people still running Firefox,
    (the sheeple have gone to Chrome)
    and you are happy with how your browser is running,
    then you may want to upgrade all of your extensions and add-ons by the end of the month.

I think that TPTB are about to make a few changes to FF next month,
    and you may be forced into them when you need to upgrade your browser, whether you like it or not.

If you update your current browser this month, that increases your chance of delaying any forced browser upgrades due to old technology.

I'm going to lock down Firefox 23, and when it becomes too old to be the primary browser for daily use, then like Internet Explorer in Windoze, I'll keep it around as a secondary or legacy browser.
    I was able to test Firefox 24 in a virtual mode and found it to be compatible with the addons that I use,
    so that will be my LTS version.
    Coincidentally the folks at Mozilla decided the same, but they gave it a sligtly different name, ESR.
    http://www.oldapps.com/firefox.php

Default Already it's almost summer 2014.

If you run Firefox and are perfectly fine with how it runs, then you may want to hold off doing any updates to the latest version, 29.

If you absolutely need the latest security fixes then the last ESR version 24, is still being updated.
    I'm sticking with 28 until I move on something else.

Many have posted that the new Firefox philosophy seems to be "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is.'" They have succeeded.

Firefox 29 - Shiny things - Wheeeee!

Can you say NERD RAGE?

If you want to use a "Windows like" free operating system on an old or new computer, then give the Zorin OS a look.
    I highly recommend it for those who are looking to move from paying too much to activate a computer without having to be an expert.
    It detects and uses most all common computer hardware without any problem.

Zorin OS 8 - More like Windows 7 than Windows 7
    Last edited by silverheartbone; 12th May 2014 at 09:42. Reason: added video and 2nd Zorin link

Lightbulb March 2016 update

After decades of Windows, there many free applications that do the job of those that we used to pay for.
    'Paragon Backup and Recovery 2014 Free' comes to mind, replacing 'Acronis True Image Home 10'.
    The problem is that because there are so many apps to choose from, that it's easy to overlook a few these gems.

7-zip
    Adobe Flash 21
    Adobe Reader 11
    Adobe Shockwave
    Alarm
    AMP Font Viewer 3.86
    Art Rage
    Avira 2016 Free
    Balabolka
    Camstudio 2.0
    CCleaner
    DAEMON Tools Lite v4.49.1