Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 134

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Swiss Firm Introduces Divisible Gold Card For “A Scary New World”
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swiss Firm Introduces Divisible Gold Card For “A Scary New World”

Default Swiss Firm Introduces Divisible Gold Card For “A Scary New World”

Swiss Firm Introduces Divisible Gold Card For “A Scary New World”
    Mac Slavo
    January 4th, 2013
    SHTFplan.com
    Comments (297)
    Read by 15,096 people

As uncertainty about the stability of the global economy spreads and investors look for ways to diversify their assets, precious metals companies are looking for ways to cater to those who are seeking a safe haven in assets like gold and silver.

Though often described as “the money of last resort,” one gripe from potential investors about owning gold is that it is costly, currently running around $1700 an ounce, and not feasible as an emergency exchange mechanism in the event of financial and economic catastrophe that may disrupt food supplies and the normal flow of commerce. The problem with one ounce gold coins, or even 1/10th of an ounce fractional coins, is that if you needed to buy a few loaves of bread, medicine, clothing or supplies in an emergency it would be difficult to do so with a gold coin as opposed to something like silver, which can be more easily traded for smaller value goods.

Enter the “Combibar” Gold Card – designed for “a scary new world.”

Introduced by Swiss precious metals firm Valcambi, the 50 gram (~ 1.6 Troy Ounces) card is fabricated with 99.9% fine gold and can easily be broken into 1 gram pieces and used as payment during an emergency. Each gram is worth approximately the same as an ounce of silver – about $34 – making it an almost perfect emergency barter item.

For the preparedness minded, it’s a simple solution and one that fits right in your wallet, so you can always have “real money” with you wherever you go.

According to Valcambi the Combibar divisible gold card should be available in the U.S. in late 2013.

In the meantime, though some key officials at our central banks suggest gold is not real money, we strongly recommend diversifying assets into physical commodities that may include food, arable land, gold and silver, and learning new skills that can be traded for essential items should the system as we know it come crashing down.

What’s in your wallet?

these are cool sheets but 1 gram of gold is worth more than 1 oz of silver... just throwing that out there lol, hopefully when the GSR comes down to 30:1 then it will be true and i can swap

I would be very interested to see exactly what the broken down pieces weighed. How close to a gram are they? All in all, I like them, cool new product, although I don't know what premium I could stand paying for them......

Quote Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
    I would be very interested to see exactly what the broken down pieces weighed. How close to a gram are they? All in all, I like them, cool new product, although I don't know what premium I could stand paying for them......
    That is the important thing. What is the premium that this firm is charging for those bars? Also, when we are reduced to stone knives and bearskins, how are people planning on keeping their digital scales running when we have no electricity?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Shelley View Post
    That is the important thing. What is the premium that this firm is charging for those bars? Also, when we are reduced to stone knives and bearskins, how are people planning on keeping their digital scales running when we have no electricity?

Why would we be reduced to stone knives and bearskins, because Paper and computer bytes, are no longer required as a medium of exchange? Do you throw away a steel knife just because, no one told you, all you need to do, is sharpen it with a stone?

How did we cope without computers before the mid 1970s?
    How the hell did we survive before the 1890s without electricity?

The end of fiat money is no big deal.

50g gold Combi: $2850; 7% premium

100g silver Combi: $140; 43% premium
    Caedite eos.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Shelley View Post
    The purpose of the design is such that you don't need scales.

Would have preffered something in silver, much like a KIT-KAT candy bar.

And for Matthew, the wrapper could be re-deemable in silver derivitaves.

kitkat.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by gollumthegreat View Post
    Why would we be reduced to stone knives and bearskins, because Paper and computer bytes, are no longer required as a medium of exchange? Do you throw away a steel knife just because, no one told you, all you need to do, is sharpen it with a stone?

How did we cope without computers before the mid 1970s?
    How the hell did we survive before the 1890s without electricity?

The end of fiat money is no big deal.
    All very true observations. I have several friends who own larger sailboats equipped for ocean cruising. They are so self-contained that the landlubbers could take lessons: Small solar panels keep a battery bank down below charged every day. Invertors convert 12 or 24 volt-DC power into 120-volt AC for appliances and flourescent lighting. Small reverse-osmosis watermakers convert unclean salt water into pure, clean drinking water. And of course, being wind powered, they can travel the fish-rich waters for thousands and thousands of miles without fuel. All a man needs is a good woman.
    "If you don't know where you're going, you might end up some place else."
    - Yogi Berra

What? Batteries to run the scales? I'm only 39, but I know that there are scales that do not need electricity. Ammo reloading scales measure very fine amounts of powder, in grains.

What? We won't need scales? Come on, of course we will. Even more so, since it's possible that "money" will be more irregular, and tied mote to weight.