Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 134

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Steadfast's Rockin Awesome Chicken Coop! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steadfast's Rockin Awesome Chicken Coop!

Bantam coop’s new sleeping roost ladder.

Our Golden Sebright Mugging for a photo.
    Check out that pose.
    Last edited by Steadfast; 4th September 2012 at 09:44.
    - God's Walky Talky

"L A N . . A S T A S L E M"
    I will NOT submit to islam!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
    Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Remember, I have the chicken coop powered by my solar/wind array?
    Well, when working with batteries, which I am, if the power gets drained from them past a certain point, you do extreme damage to them.

So, leaving the house with the coop “on” could be very BAD if the sky became overcast while I was away, with no ability to turn off the coop and over drew the power in the batteries.

Up til now, all I could do was manually turn on the coop. but I also had to manually turn it off again too.
    So I’ve been thinking about a solution to this for a while now and came up with THIS Idea:

I bought a high quality timer switch on Amazon that would switch off long before I lost to much power...
    I removed the old standard power switch and installed this one in it’s place:

$25.00

Product Write Up:
    Programmable timer switch turns lights on and off in up to 7 different sequences . Don't come home to a dark house. Program your lights to turn on automatically at specific times with the Aube 7-Day, 40-500W Timer, an attractive Decora-style timer switch that can control incandescent, halogen or fluorescent lighting. Easily record up to seven separate on and off sequences, which can be programmed daily or weekly. Need to find something quickly late at night? No problem: The Aube 7-Day, 40-500W Timer offers a manual override, which enables the load to be turned on and off without affecting the programming. A Decora-style wall plate is sold separately. Mount the Aube 7-Day, 40-500W Timer onto a standard single or multi-gang electrical box. The timer may be used for a single pole, an existing 3-way switch or a new 3-way switch installation. Program the date and time and then your seven on and off sequences, and the Aube 7-Day, 40-500W Timer will make sure your lights are on when you get home after dark. Programs are protected against a power failure by a pre-installed rechargeable battery. Additional features include an LCD that shows the time, day and load status. Sleek design mounts flush with standard decorative wall plate (not included) (Switch also available in Almond)Two-operating modes: manual (conventional on and off switch), automatic Programming: up to 7-programs (7-on and off times) per week. A program can apply to a single day or repeat every day (a program that repeats every day is still considered one-program)Connection: Single pole (2-wire) or multi switch (3-way) (500-Watt maximum and 40-Watt minimum)Dimensions (height by width by depth): 2.7-Inch by 1.8-Inch by 1.6-Inch

Yesterday, I installed the new timer switch...
    I set it to start up the coop fans from 11am - 3pm
    and then again from 5pm-6pm

I was inside my Teardrop Camper installing some new electrical options (something I could NEVER understand how to do before finishing The wind Turbine Project) and I heard the coop as the auto-switch started up the fans. I thought my wife had come out and turned them on...
    She told me "I didn't start them up, they just started up on their own."
    I looked at my watch and it was just after 5pm... Excellent!

It should be running automatically, as of 10 minutes ago, as I type...
    It is a clear sunny day today.

I will update you guys how it worked out when I get home...

PS: If you like things so far...Just wait until you see how I plan to use solar to "Winterize" the Coop
    Last edited by Steadfast; 24th September 2012 at 12:33.
    - God's Walky Talky

Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Buddy I sure hope that you have a nice arsenal ready for the lazy.
    "I foresee little future in 'the price of silver', I see a huge future for 'the price in silver'." - heartbone
    "The truth is called hate by those who hate the truth." - K

yup...I do...
    - God's Walky Talky

Edmund Burke 1729-1797

With your technical and mechanical talents why don't you make and use EIS/CS/silver water to keep your water tank clean instead of chlorine bleach ?
    Plus what silver ions get into the chickens also gets into the eggs.
    The chickens have a natural antibiotic going through them and you and your family get the trace element when you consume them.

Electrically Isolated Silver may not be a total and complete "bug" killer but it does work on the vast majority out there.

Just Axin'

Great work by the way.
    Gb

LUCK favors the PREPARED darling. - "Edna Mole"

ATTENTION Liberals and Progressives - The path to HELL is paved with good intentions.
    ( The USA is certainly spiraling in that direction)

"The future ain't what it used to be". - Yogi Berra

Here is the new programmable switch which is set to turn on the coop's fans from 11am-3pm and again from 5pm-6pm...

After two clear days with the new timer switch installed inside the chicken coop,
    as of 6:15pm today, the battery array is safely in the 80% charged range.

It worked!!!
    - God's Walky Talky

Edmund Burke 1729-1797

I don't know what they are called, probably just a simple voltage regulator, but they are used to automatically cut off the power flow from your battery bank if the batteries drop below a certain voltage level and they won't allow any power to be drawn out until the voltage increases above that minimum level. It has to be a fairly simple and inexpensive monitoring device. They have been in use for some time, already part of many devices which draw their power from a battery backup.

I'm not following all of these postings, so if that switch is just an addition to a voltage regulator, never mind the battery protection.
    Last edited by valerb; 27th September 2012 at 04:42.
    I'm a proud member of Eggshellman's Liar, Shill, and bully club and a new member of the Super Jew Defense League!!!

Yeah, the Switch does have a minimum of 40 watt load limit to work...
    Which is easily met...

I'm thinking about Buying My Birds a cheap FM Radio to play them some Classic music when their power comes on...

I wonder if that will cause them to produce even more eggs...?
    - God's Walky Talky

Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Getting cold at night around here. 40f and below.

So, I had to build winterization walls for the bantam coop.
    (The new removable walls still need some wood stain)

I installed the triangles at the top and plexiglass onto windows of the big chicken's tower.
    Last edited by Steadfast; 15th October 2012 at 07:37.
    - God's Walky Talky

Edmund Burke 1729-1797