Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 134

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Preparing for Anarchy
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Preparing for Anarchy

Default Preparing for Anarchy

Looks like we're getting closer to the big collapse. The big banks in Europe seem to be pulling the plugs on their ATM machines, offering an excuse that they're having software problems. First Greece, then Spain, Italy and likely the entire Euro system teetering toward collapse. How much warning do we need?

So in preparing for the approaching hard times, how prepared are you guys getting? Do you have portable generators? Solar panels and batteries for living off the grid? How about plenty of good water and food? Stocking up on all your medicines? Guns and ammo? Plenty of ammo?

How about fire extinguishers? I don't know how reliable the local fire departments will be in times of anarchy.
    Good bicycles stowed and locked up, ready for use as local transportation?
    Fuel? Fuel for heating the home? Heating your water for showers and dishes? A supply of fuel for your cars or motorcycles?
    Batteries for radio and TV?
    First aid kit? Do you have an extensive first aid kit that can get you through accidents and injuries?

Any other suggestions?

My sister has 4 cabins in Northern Ontario 1 hour past North Bay. Two tanks of fuel and a 10 hour drive and I can be away from everything. You, on the other hand, may have serious problems should chaos break out. Also not sure where all them people from New York are going to go with no gas and what they are going to eat. I can see it now, a run on twinkies and Doritos at the 7/11. Pets and roadkill will become food for the rich.

We saw what happened New Orleans during Katrina. People were acting like animals in a matter of days. Can't wait for the fun to start. When it does go down, I'll be eating freshly caught Pickeral from the lake out front of the cabin, and moose steaks while the rest of you are dining on fried dog and cat.

Sorry, won't have room for any of my friends on silverseek.

I do wish Matty a lot of luck trying to barter for a loaf of bread with those paper silver certificates.

Quote Originally Posted by rush2112 View Post

Sorry, won't have room for any of my friends on silverseek.
    Wow...you have friends?

Quote Originally Posted by Xizang View Post
    Looks like we're getting closer to the big collapse. ..........So in preparing for the approaching hard times, how prepared are you guys getting?
    ....Any other suggestions?
    You forgot silver (and gold), lol. Maybe it goes without saying around here, but some still think it will be useless in a collapse situation. I beg to differ. There would be different levels of disruption depending on where you live, but silver/gold will come into play at some point, regardless. Though, this isn't why I replied.

To the point, one very important thing to consider is sanitation/hygiene. Having lots of food stored up is indeed critical, but what goes in must come out. If you're in the city, sewers could get backed up eventually, although, water pressure might subside before that point - if power to the entire city was to be out long enough. One way to avoid that kind of a 'messy' situation is to make your own commode or porta-potty.

You can do this by acquiring some 5-gallon buckets. Get two (one for pee/one for poop) for each member of the household - especially for females as men can pee outside, instead of in a bucket. Buy large, black, heavy-duty/thick, garbage bags to insert into and line the bucket. Then, partially fill the buckets with sawdust for absorbtion of body wastes and odors. You could also sprinkle in some baking soda for added odor control. Sawdust is cheap or even free and can be acquired from mills, hardware/lumber outlets, cabinetry shops, etc..

If one is independant of a city, usually there's an accumulator which keeps up water pressure - providing you still have power to the house and the accumulator. If power is lost, don't flush the toilet. Otherwise, you'll quickly - and unecessarily - drain pressure from the accumulator. Those 5-gallon buckets can be used to gather grey water from a known source (i.e., slough/swamp, rain barrel, etc.) for toilet flushing purposes. Just pour the bucket water into the toilet bowl for self-flushing. Of course you could do the same thing in the city if water pressure is lost, but eventually sewers can and will start backing up.

And remember: if it's yellow let it mellow, but only if it's brown flush it down!

...And place a brick or two in the toilet tank to conserve water while flushing where/when necessary.
    You could also hide your gold in there - or simply substitute regular bricks with your 100-oz gold bricks.

Edit:
    Oh! ...And buy yourself a shovel to dig a hole to bury any stinky refuse/rubbish. You could also use it to bury your silver..., but hopefully not in the same hole.
    Last edited by Mighty Moose; 9th July 2012 at 01:22.
    All original wealth comes out of the ground.

Thanks, Moose. Yeah, I forgot to mention gold and silver. Rather silly of me. I know all you old folks need to be reminded of the details. Hey, while we're at it, regardless of what your local city council says, a few guns and plenty of ammo TO FIT YOUR GUNS will be real handy. Especially when the goons come around to help themselves to you and yours. When things get so bad you need to pull guns to defend yourself and your home, city ordinances will be pretty irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Xizang View Post
    Thanks, Moose. Yeah, I forgot to mention gold and silver. Rather silly of me. I know all you old folks need to be reminded of the details. Hey, while we're at it, regardless of what your local city council says, a few guns and plenty of ammo TO FIT YOUR GUNS will be real handy. Especially when the goons come around to help themselves to you and yours. When things get so bad you need to pull guns to defend yourself and your home, city ordinances will be pretty irrelevant.
    Even if you have a proper means of self-defense, try to plan as though you have no guns or weopons to defend your home or family & possessions therein. Utilizing this strategy will make you better prepared. That could mean having to relocate.

Reliance upon deadly force to solve everything is unwise. It should be your last choice, if or when possible, but without hesitation. Why put yourself in that position unnecessarily. It could really complicate matters for you afterward causing repercussions that were otherwise avoidable.

Xizang, here's a couple of other things to ponder. Consider getting a dog, not necessarily for its bite, but for its bark. Make it a dog that's big enough that it has an impressive, deep bark to ward off intruders (especially if your home cannot be occupied 24/7), but also doesn't eat you out of house & home, especially at a time when food (including dog food) may be in short supply or just becomes very expensive. And even if a potential intruder is persistant, a barking dog will wake you up when your asleep or buy you some much needed time in order to weoponize.

The other thing to consider is having two or more adult males live in your home - if not already the case - as another deterrent to anyone looking for a potential home to rob. Obviously, you'll be able to vigilantly monitor your home surroundings with more pairs of eyes around and better protect yourselves, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Moose View Post
    Xizang, here's a couple of other things to ponder. Consider getting a dog, not necessarily for its bite, but for its bark. Make it a dog that's big enough that it has an impressive, deep bark to ward off intruders (especially if your home cannot be occupied 24/7),
    The bark won't do any good if the intruder knows you are not home and can simply kill/beat etc the dog.

Another helpful tip: get a Clapper and install it to a light which can be seen from a window (or to an exterior flood light). If you are not home, and the dog starts barking at the intruder outside, (hopefully) it will set off the Clapper and turn on the light. This will make it seem as the barking woke up the inhabitant of the house who then turned on the light -- even though there is no one home. Again, hopefully, the intruder will take a hike thinking he will have more than just a dog with which to deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Moose View Post
    Even if you have a proper means of self-defense, try to plan as though you have no guns or weopons to defend your home or family & possessions therein. Utilizing this strategy will make you better prepared. That could mean having to relocate.

Reliance upon deadly force to solve everything is unwise. It should be your last choice, if or when possible, but without hesitation. Why put yourself in that position unnecessarily. It could really complicate matters for you afterward causing repercussions that were otherwise avoidable.
    1) relocate to a state which does not employ a form of the 'Make My Day' law;

2) relocate to a state which does employ a form of the 'Make My Day' law -- then you can murder people when/where ever you want, without thinking, and without any repercussion! (unless the Prez says the deceased could have been his son...then you are SOL.)

Electricity was the LAST of my preperations..
    Now that my turbine is flying and we have solar too...

BRING ON THE ZOMBIES!
    Hoooah!
    - God's Walky Talky

"L A N . . A S T A S L E M"
    I will NOT submit to islam!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
    Edmund Burke 1729-1797