Thread: 1973 Silver Kennedy Half dollar Not S mint mark?????

Cool 1973 Silver Kennedy Half dollar Not S mint mark?????

Hello silver seekers
    I am new to the forums but have been collecting silver for many years now. I like to search coins from the bank for nice silver finds, my latest find came from thursday of this week. I bought 6 rolls of kennedy half from the bank and 4 rolls and 3 coins were %40 silver.... a sweet find.
    Well the reason i am posting this is because one of the coins I found is a 1973 No mint mark and appears to be solid silver. I usually look at the edge of the coins to tell what I have so I dont have to look at dates. This coin looks silver thoughout and has no signs of mixed metals in it at all ( I thought it was a 64 when i saw it). I think there are 2 possible explinations for this coin
    1. Does anyone know if there is a 1973 Kennedy half that is 90% silver? and if so how can I tell for sure?
    2. Is it possible to have a mint mistake coin that is 100% nickel ? I know that is highly unlikely but it is a strange find.
    Ive put a photo of the coin in and you can clearly see the one in the middle is different than the other 1973 half I have.
    any info would be greatly appriciated Thanks alot -jake

Quote Originally Posted by silverman1331 View Post
    Hello silver seekers
    I am new to the forums but have been collecting silver for many years now. I like to search coins from the bank for nice silver finds, my latest find came from thursday of this week. I bought 6 rolls of kennedy half from the bank and 4 rolls and 3 coins were %40 silver.... a sweet find.
    Well the reason i am posting this is because one of the coins I found is a 1973 No mint mark and appears to be solid silver. I usually look at the edge of the coins to tell what I have so I dont have to look at dates. This coin looks silver thoughout and has no signs of mixed metals in it at all ( I thought it was a 64 when i saw it). I think there are 2 possible explinations for this coin
    1. Does anyone know if there is a 1973 Kennedy half that is 90% silver? and if so how can I tell for sure?
    2. Is it possible to have a mint mistake coin that is 100% nickel ? I know that is highly unlikely but it is a strange find.
    Ive put a photo of the coin in and you can clearly see the one in the middle is different than the other 1973 half I have.
    any info would be greatly appriciated Thanks alot -jake
    No to all of the above.
    If the coin was made in 73, there is 0% chance that it is 90% silver. What, you think they made 1 coin like this? How do you propose that happened?
    Solid nickel coin? How do you propose the metal content came to be? 1 coin magically became nickel? Not to mention, it wouldn't weigh to spec, and would have been rejected by coin sorters/rollers.

There is a possibility that someone hand rolled some proof coin:
    http://www.coin-rare.com/1968-united...1-1-1-1-1.aspx