Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 134

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Im building a Wind Turbine. - Page 4
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Im building a Wind Turbine.

Acquiring the right kind of data sensors/meters!

I have bought these 3 things:

To measure live wind speed...
    La Crosse Technology WS-1910TWC-IT Wireless Professional Station with Wind, Dew Point, Temperature, Humidity ... $56.50

For a tachometer to measure live RPMs I bought
    the "Cat Eye - Strada" cadence, wired, bicycle computer on sale for $39...

I am buying this bicycle computer to attach to my wind turbine... with the "cadence" setting it will display RPMs.
    I need it to be the wired version to add more wire to get it to display 40 feet away from the sensors.
    (The wireless versions all have a 5ft broadcast distance only)
    And because it is wired it is also on sale only $39 ... about half off... for "old" none wireless tech.

Ok here are a few articles I found which explain how to mount a bicycle computer onto a wind turbine and how to use it as an RPM tachometer... Yes the sensor wire can be extended down the mast using Bell wire.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Tach...ometer-cycloc/

http://www.reuk.co.uk/Use-a-Cycle-Co...urbine-RPM.htm

http://www.maurelma.ch/Infos/Windtur..._Ratio_pma.pdf

Finally, to measure how much power I am receiving with a live feed, I have purchased
    a Doc Wattson $59.00

Here is my Doc Wattson installed into my power panel array.
    - God's Walky Talky

"L A N . . A S T A S L E M"
    I will NOT submit to islam!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
    Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Making the new and structurally sound winch base.

What your seeing is the top edge of a large burnt under ground log...
    Normally you screw this auger into ground but we hit the burned log 3 feet under ground and had to dig down to it and chisel a hole through the 1ft thick log with a sledge hammer and a 6 ft rod.
    What a Massive pain in the butt!!!

more....
    Last edited by Steadfast; 13th May 2012 at 20:44.
    - God's Walky Talky

Edmund Burke 1729-1797

The winch base in place and anchored before concrete was poured..

Winch stand with gin pole and cable system installed.
    When I cranked it up, the gin pole totally displaced all that leveraged weight, which broke the concrete base on the last try, with out it! Wooo hooo!!! physics works!

The tail an base up on test raise... 30ft up... no blades yet because the alternator should be delivered next week...

once it was up it wiggled twice and the wind stopped dead....
    typical...
    Last edited by Steadfast; 13th May 2012 at 20:31.
    - God's Walky Talky

Edmund Burke 1729-1797

And the second set of 6 volt batteries is now installed...
    Wired 2 up in series with both sets wired in parallel...
    - God's Walky Talky

Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Wow!
    There have been some developments!

I told you folks that I am on a wind turbine technical forum, which is helping me muddle through this build.
    But what I did not tell you is this:

In the home built wind turbine world there are two factions which oppose each other vehemently.
    One is the HEAVY faction the other is the LIGHT faction.

The Heavy faction is made up of guys who live in the middle of the USA which is also consists of HIGH wind class areas. (sustained 30- 100 MPH winds) These guys make massive turbines! Their smaller ones having huge wooden,7ft long blades that spin making 20ft sweeping spans, which fly 80 feet up in the air, and power their whole home. These guys use disk generators attached to their blades to make their electricity. The bigger ones having 12ft blades. The power maker in their rig is called a “axial alternator”. The axial alternator has massively powerful magnets attached with resin on one disc which spins in a circle around a series of copper donuts attached to another disc. Together these disks look a little like a disc brakes on your car. It is no surprise then that the first unit ever made was in fact made with disc brakes.

The Light Faction is made up of folks you see selling aluminum turbine parts on you-tube and e-bay, who fly small birds in light wind class areas, who live near open fields or the beach along the coast lines of the USA. These guys make MUCH smaller turbines. Their small birds have 3-5 foot spinning blade spans, which fly 20 to 40 feet up in the air, and “trickle charge” small banks of batteries over a week or so time span. These guys started out using modified car alternators and tread mill motors and have just started to design Permanent Magnet Alternators (PMAs) which start out pumping out electricity at low RPMs but that also cannot generate higher electricity amounts at higher wind speeds.

The Heavy guys are pretty darn proud that they can make tons of electricity, but they also have massive winds to work with… The light guys are darn proud they can adapt small motors and alternators to squeeze electricity out of light winds. The heavy guys think that their heavy bird designs should work everywhere in any environment but every time they try to build a scaled down version it gets destroyed by their winds. The light guys hate the heavy guys because the heavy guys openly accuse them of ripping people off for producing PMAs that barely produce energy. Both faction totally reject every aspect of each other’s designs and refuse to consider them valid in any way.

This is where I come into the party! I, who live in a class 1 wind are (light wind), knowing nothing about all this, nor caring about the 2 factions biases and hurt feelings, naively signed onto the Heaviest of Heavy Wind turbine technical forums.
    i then begain posting my progress as I did it just like here... Did I mention that sring has over 22 thousand hit with over 4 thousand subscriptions.
    http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,146527.0.html

I then took the designs from the “Heavy” faction bible named “homebrew” and started messing with their designs, openly mixing “Light” turbine material with “heavy” turbine principles and made both factions super mad. And on top of it all, I actually purchased a dreaded “PMA” to run my turbine from one of the “light guys” out of Virginia.

The owner of the company’s name is Tony and tony has read the “Heavy guy’s forum topic where I am also posting my progress. He has also read the insult thrown at him. And his work and it made him MAD. So, he has decided to personally innovate another design on his PMA to purposefully “Stick it to those arrogant Heavy guys”… But you fine folks here already know all this if you have read this topic from the beginning.

Here is where it gets interesting….
    I am one week away from having my “Light wind PMA” delivered to me… I have purchased all of the necessary meter and such to record my turbines efficiency… The guys on the “Heavy” sight have seen all this and in spite of their superior knowledge and techniques, are getting nervous that Tony might just “pull it off”. So, one of my chief antagonizes/mentors named Chris has “Stepped up” and actually built a scaled down “axial alternator” specifically for my wind area, and is GIVING IT TO ME to keep!

All I must do is build a second scaled down “Homebrew” Bird to mount it on and record the results! He is doing this simply to “Put those light guys with their wimpy PMAs in their place”! It turns out that Chris is also one of our nation’s Best axial alternator designers! I did not know this! He has a friend on the forum too who just happens to be the best wood blade maker in the world named Dave. Dave and Chris got together and Dave is also custom making me a set of world class blades to go onto that Chris’ axial alternator…
    You got it…EL FREE-bo!

How cool is THAT!?!?
    Here are some pictures of the axial alternator and the blades which are being mailed to me this weekend!!!

ChrisOlson
    Steadfast's project has turned into a demonstration. These eBay sellers that pedal aluminum blades with bent tips and converted Delcos with 110V plugs hangin' out of 'em need to be showed where the bear craps in the woods.

First, Steadfast (assuming he gets his ReDelco) is going to show us how to trickle charge a cell phone battery with wind power.
    Then, he's going toss up a different turbine with my generator and a set of Dave at Roayal Wind's blades on it and show us how to CHARGE a battery BANK with wind power.

All you have to do is set back with a 12-pack and watch.
    --
    Chris
    Last edited by Steadfast; 18th May 2012 at 15:48.
    - God's Walky Talky

Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Here is Chris
    ChrisOlson
    I talked to Steadfast on the phone and I think I can help him out. I got an old turbine head that's been hanging on my shop wall for 4-5 years with a 12 pole, 9 coil three phase axial on it:

I am donating this generator to his cause. The stator is wound with 45 turns of 15 AWG and measures .68 ohms wired wye. The rotors are 10" with 1/4" thick wedge magnets. It's rpm/volt with the air gap set where it is now is 12.2 (rpm/DC volt). With the air gap opened up this generator would work fine with a set of Otherpower 6 or 7 foot blades on it. If I open the air gap on it so the rpm/volt is up to 20 it will reach 13 volts @ 260 rpm (nice for 6 foot blades) and 35 open DC volts @ 700 rpm.

(35-14.5) / .68 = 30 amps at 700 rpm, or 435 watts. About perfect for a nice set of 6 foot wood blades.

Steadfast can cut the offset down to whatever he wants and build his own tail for it.

I searched thru some old stuff and by gully I found the rear plate for the blade hub for it:

All it needs is blades bolted to it and a new front plate made for it, which Steadfast can handle I'm sure.

I'll reset the air gap and rpm/volt to 20, take the mainshaft out so it can be boxed up, and it'll be on its way to North Carolina where it can do something useful instead of hanging on my shop wall.
    --
    Chris
    - God's Walky Talky

Edmund Burke 1729-1797

and MORE Chris
    ChrisOlson
    Steadfast, here's what an axial generator looks like disassembled:

This is the outside gen rotor - it's 12 pole with wedge magnets on it:

This is the stator:

I don't have any photos of the inside of the stator above, but this is a different one for a 16 pole generator so you can see the coils in it and how they're laid out when it was being built

--
    Chris
    - God's Walky Talky

Edmund Burke 1729-1797

And finally, this is your other generator rotor:

- God's Walky Talky

Edmund Burke 1729-1797

And, here is where things got MOVING!
    ChrisOlson
    fabricator
    In that low wind zone I'd cut the entire offset out, leave about an inch between the yaw tube and the main shaft.
    Fab, I talked to Steadfast on the phone today and even though he lives in a poor wind zone and has a questionable site he still gets hurricane season winds from time to time. In a decent thunderstorm with a set of Otherpower blades on the generator I'm sending him it will hit 50+ amps running dead on in the wind.

The windings in the stator are only AWG 15. He needs the internal resistance in the stator, plus probably some additional line resistance (like using 12 gauge down the tower) to make it really run in the higher winds. The line resistance and internal stator resistance won't hurt it at all in the lower winds. But AWG 15 is getting pushed at 20 amps RMS continuous per phase. So it needs a functional furling system to both limit top end power in thunderstorm winds, plus reduce the load on his tower in stronger winds.

When I send him the bare generator frame and he builds the rest of the turbine I'm sure he'll be asking questions on the proper offset, tail hinge angle and tail weight for proper furling at 30+ mph.

He still wants the turbine to be a lightweight. So I'm going to cut the heavy frame off it and shorten the mainshaft and tube to try to get the raw weight of the generator and bearing frame, with the shaft, down to 25-30 lbs. I'm going to recommend around 3-4" of offset but he can build that into his yaw shaft frame as he sees fit.

Edit:
    I was looking thru my stator collection and I got another stator here with only 30 turns of 12 AWG in it for 10" rotors:

With this stator, it would be burn out proof with 6 foot blades and no furling at all, even in a hurricane. It would need about one ohm of line resistance to get it to perform in higher winds, though, because the internal resistance of this stator is so low it would just stall the blades otherwise.

--
    Chris
    Dave from Roayal wind
    I am donating the Blades for Steadfast's Project.

These blades I have experimentally cut are a product of meshing the knives deeper to get the smaller 5.25"cord length. I don't know how they fly but my air foil program tells me that they have very similar lift and drag characteristics. They are made to be 8' double ended blades for Wincharger 750 watt machine replacements. I'll cut them in half( 4') and get three to you. You will have plenty of material to play with. Shorten the root first. If you need more take it off the tip. I think you should stay out to 7' diameter. You'll have no problem with rpm just so you get the rpm voltage you want. You can adjust your electrical load later. On the 222 profile you are looking for a 60 mph tip speed for cut in (battery voltage).
    Dave Moller
    royalwindandsolar.com
    http://www.royalwindandsolar.com/index.html
    Last edited by Steadfast; 18th May 2012 at 16:17.
    - God's Walky Talky

Edmund Burke 1729-1797

But wait there is MORE!

ChrisOlson
    I cut down that old turbine frame, and shortened the mainshaft and tube on it. Then welded a couple mounting flanges to the tube so Steadfast can bolt it to whatever style head frame he wants to. Sort of a bolt-on unit axial generator

I got some other projects to get done in the meantime, but I'll get this thing assembled and set up for the correct cut-in speed this weekend. Then get 'er sent off to Steadfast so he can get this project underway. I'm suspecting it might be his only turbine project if Tony's ReDelco don't ever show up.

By the Way, I changed my mind Steadfast!
    Forget having to wind up and build your own stator, because I just did it for you!
    I know you could have done it yourself, but you could have also screwed it up, and I have a point to make here.

So, you are not getting a "put-it-together kit". I am sending you a unit axial generator, ready to run.
    All you have to do is build a suitable head frame and bolt it on, hook up the wires and put blades on it.
    Then fire this thing up and record those numbers that I know will put those Light guys to Shame!
    --
    Chris
    Last edited by Steadfast; 18th May 2012 at 16:08.
    - God's Walky Talky

Edmund Burke 1729-1797