Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Im building a Wind Turbine. - Page 2
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Im building a Wind Turbine.

The part that converts the dc to ac is the "inverter".

Ok... I went out to the shed and took some photos of my 2 golf cart 6v deep cell batteries,
    which will be wired in series to make a 12v charge....

Here they are:

- God's Walky Talky

"L A N . . A S T A S L E M"
    I will NOT submit to islam!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
    Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBlood
    Hi steadfast. How are you doing?
    I read your thread about the wind turbine you are building. I tried to reply to the thread, but for whatever reason, I'm unable.
    I'm very interested in what you are doing. I myself am trying to come up with an efficient way to use my 10000/5000w inverter I will be purchasing soon.
    I had a few qs for you. First I don't understand the purpose of the heat sink you have in place as well as the 300a breaker you have on the input side of the inverter. Could you explain this to me?
    Also, about your batteries. Have you considered a larger bank other than the 2 6v gc batteries? I'm thinking about using 4 12v deep cycle batteries wired in parallel to handle the big load put out by the inverter. Deep cycle batteries have a bigger reserve capacity and higher ah rating in comparison.
    Look forward to hearing from you...
    1st the heat sink is attached to a 35 watt diode which gets hot…
    The diode is there to keep the electricity flowing in only one direction (from the turbine into the battery).
    Without the diode, once my battery is higher powered than the turbine, the elctricity will reverse turning my Ametek from a generator back into a motor, turning my tubine into an outdoor electric fan...

2nd The 300 watt breaker is to protect the inverter from a power spike from the battery over flowing or vise versa.

3rd my batteries will be lucky to be filled in one week’s time by my small Ametek motor.
    I fully expect that I will need to use my solar cell as a supplement power source to help fill up those batteries.

Remember, this generator is not for powering up my home, I am using this generator to simply power up my small shed (off the grid), which I only use once a week. AND, as a secondary electricity source when it hits the fan. The high powered inverter is simply there to support bigger power tools.
    Last edited by Steadfast; 21st March 2012 at 12:03.
    - God's Walky Talky

Edmund Burke 1729-1797

HAVE YOU EVER HEARD THAT YOU CAN NEVER ARGUE WITH A WOMAN AND LIVE...
    My wife booked up this coming Saturday with some "ALL DAY" family and friends "GET TOGEATHER!"

And, of course, I blew it...
    I’m like..."WHAT???? I have been staring at multiple boxes of parts here for several weeks now!
    I have SOOO much work to do and you want me to go to this stupid thing???"

So, naturally, I put my foot down, and I am now doing exactly what SHE WANTS...

As I have said before, I am not one to back down, so when I hit a wall...
    I dig under it, climb over it, or blow it up!
    Her constant "volunteering" of MY LIMITED SATURDAY TIME has been this project's WALL...

Therefore, I adapted and overcame by putting in (an was approved) to take 3 days of vacation off of work, next week! I WILL have next Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and hopefully Saturday to knock this thing OUT!!!

The pictures are coming folks! The pictures are coming....
    - God's Walky Talky

Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Here are my plans for black smithing the steel clasp which will grab the turbine pole near the apex of my shed's roof.

here is the successful forged lever fork..

Here is the clasp half way done... 4 hours later....

My wife watched me strugging to forge and fine tune all these parts into a working pipe clasp... and questioned how something so solid was going to reduce vibration, then she suggested THIS solution...
    I was like "DUH, why didn't you suggest this earlier" She said "I did, but you where too busy being manly, conquer with FIRE, Forge-Man to listen."

I am going with Her Plan... The 6 inch hose camps steel band is long and very wide and thus, will hold it securely, and the loop will allow for vibration, while the wing nuts will allow a quick release for a quick take down of the tower when "bad weather" threatens.

Dont get me wrong:
    my solution would have worked in the end but I would have had to work it another 3 hours to get it to function smooth and right...
    and vibration would Still be an issue.
    Last edited by Steadfast; 25th March 2012 at 17:42.
    - God's Walky Talky

Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Well, I saw the light!
    I am scrapping my Ametek 40VDC motor. (I'm selling it back on ebay)

I just bought a “Hurricane Cat 4 Mark I Low Wind PMA for Wind Generator”
    it ran me $260 with shipping...

-------

here is their write up:
    This is a 3 phase ac generator....that does not mean you can hook it straight to your grid!

Seems today you have two schools of wind generator sales......the old school where the guys lie tell you the generator output 3000 watts the customer thinks wow and buys. The new school invented by some other companies where they speak of "real world" output and are the knight in shining armor out to save you from everyone who is trying to cheat you..... and you the customer should be thankful for the wind genie who saved you. We are unrolling a 3rd approach here.

1. The best low wind product on the market made completely in the USA no imported copper ,magnets, components....I mean is was all bought and assembled in the USA....a major feet in and of itself trust me

2. The best price on the market compare TLG 500 in excess of 600$ by the way we have better output

3 No pressure sales approach....we have no trouble whatsoever selling these and will be here for the long haul... Seems when you have truly built a better mouse trap you don't need a sales approach go figure

• Hand made in the USA
    • Produces power in very light wind
    • Perfect for wind, hydro and marine applications
    • Comes pre-wired with power cord
    Includes ac-dc rectifier
    • Produces 12 volts at just 80-100 rpm
    • Robust bearings and housing
    • Will last many years in harsh environments
    • No internal parts or brushes to maintain
    • 90 Day full replacement warranty
    • 80 RPM- 12 v. x .50 amp = 6 watt

100 RPM- 16 v. x 1 amp = 16 watt
    200 RPM- 36 v. x 2 amp = 72 watt
    300 RPM- 48 v. x 3 amp = 144 watt
    400 RPM- 55 v. x 4 amp = 220 watt
    500 RPM- 68 v. x 5 amp = 340 watt
    600 RPM- 78 v. x 6 amp = 468 watt
    700 RPM- 89 v. x 7 amp = 623 watt
    800 RPM- 97 v. x 8 amp = 776 watt
    900 RPM- 110 v. x 9 amp = 990 watt
    1000 RPM- 121 v. x 10 amp = 1210 watt
    1100 RPM- 134 v. x 11 amp = 1474 watt
    1200 RPM- 142 v. x 12 amp = 1707 watt
    1300 RPM- 159 v. x 13 amp = 2067 watt
    1400 RPM- 166 v. x 14 amp = 2324 watt

Hurricane Cat 4 weight approx. 11 pounds. Shaft size 17mm x 2". Comes with rectifier, hub bushings, 17mm nut and lock washer

-------

Remember Folks, I live in the heartland of NC. We are a class 1 wind region.
    That means we average 10-20 MPH when the wind happens to be blowing at all.
    So, I needed a generator with the ability to create as many volts as I can get at low RPMs.
    This one is supposed to be able to do that.

My turbine will need to be light and quickly responsive to make the most of these wisps of wind out here.
    Also... As I have said several times before I am using it to power my shed which I use once a week, not my home.
    Im hopeing this turbine will behave more like an ultra-light glider rather than the jumbo passanger jet most expert home turbine builder's are used to and flying their class 4 or greater wind regions.

And, strangly when I discuss these facts on a technical forum with them they seem to get all bent out of shape about it.
    They loose their composure, tell me how much I suck and how ignorant I am...
    Interesting...
    Usually when people protest TOO MUCH, there is something they want to hide...
    We soon will see...and perhaps I will be the one left eating crow...
    Thats ok...I like crow...
    - God's Walky Talky

Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Today My father-in-law and I finished the tower and hosted it up for a test spin...
    and look there is wind up there!

The pipe is 10 foot galvanized 1.5, inner-lapping at each joining point there is a 10 foot 1.25 pipe.
    (that is why you will see the occational bolt going thru the pole)
    so the pole is a total of 1/2 inch thick steel.

Here is the "Grabbing pole" with my wife's plans realized belt clamp.
    - God's Walky Talky

Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Here is the "door henge" furling and primary pivot Spot welded.

That is it for today:
    tomorrow I will be finishing up the turbine body and setting up the generator system.
    at least that is the plan.
    Last edited by Steadfast; 30th October 2012 at 12:58.
    - God's Walky Talky

Edmund Burke 1729-1797

I finally cut out the body of the tail... Dude 1/4 inch aluminium is tough... Cutting it out was like a career option!
    And so the setting of the screws begins.

I like RED, don't you?

These are my aluminum Falcon blades, sanded and then painted with several layers of engine enamel with a layer of clear coat.
    The yellow is a Bronze Metal Enamel, the white stripe is the raw aluminum under clear coat.
    It was nice of the UPS Guy to show up and deliver my second 140 watt solar pannel, right when I needed some cardboard to paint on too.
    Last edited by Steadfast; 29th March 2012 at 22:20.
    - God's Walky Talky

Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Here is the body attached to the pivot.
    It just sucks that I have to wait for my generator to be finished being custom built before I can set up the structure to mount it onto the pivot and mount up my blades. But THAT is life when you make the snap dicision NOT to use your Ametek at the last moment.

Here is the extent of my furelling radius... I need to install my stops so the tail does not get munched by my blades.

And because I just could not stand looking at my blades seperate anymore...

now that the Mechanical Stuff is mostly done... I can spend the day tomarrow building the power station and electrical stuff.
    Last edited by Steadfast; 29th March 2012 at 22:15.
    - God's Walky Talky

Edmund Burke 1729-1797

I am sorry that I could not post photos yesterday, but I was busy learning how difficult and time consuming working electricity really is...

I took another wind turbine designer's advice and made this reinforcement:

My shed is now solar and soon will be wind powered as well. Those are both 140 watt panels.

Here is my power board wired for solar:
    The only thing I am waiting for is my turbine's MCA and this pane will also be wired for wind as well.

I see the light!
    - God's Walky Talky

Edmund Burke 1729-1797