Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Im building a Wind Turbine.
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Im building a Wind Turbine.

Default Im building a Wind Turbine.

I am now building a wind turbine.
    This is the finished product, which took over 5 monthes to build:

What your about to read is the long agonizing Journey through Trial, Error, Ignorance, and loss to Finally get there.

----------------and so it begins--------------
    I live in the Raleigh NC Area and we average 10 - 20 mph winds.
    which is very light winds...

Thus, I am building a wind sensitive, light weight turbine that will generate electricity at 3 mph.

I bought the book "HomeBrew Wind Power" and I have been in touch via email with its author about my project. He like to build massive 100 mph wind turbines but he is also interested in my ideas and says it can be done.

Book link:
    http://www.amazon.com/Homebrew-Wind-.../dp/0981920101

I will post pictures of my progress live as I progress in this project!

Starting from the bottom up!
    This is my Anchor and Hinge for the wind turbine tower.
    (This way, if a big storm comes in, I can pull one of my bolts and lower the tower and turbine safely to the ground)

Hour Glass shaped 180 pound concrete base with 10 inch 5/8 anchor bolts setting. (check out that Plumb Bob)
    the pipe is 1.5 inches wide.
    Last edited by Steadfast; 10th October 2012 at 14:21.
    - God's Walky Talky

"L A N . . A S T A S L E M"
    I will NOT submit to islam!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
    Edmund Burke 1729-1797

My tower will be 30 feet tall.
    I intend on using my shed as an anchor so that I don't have to use cables.
    more on that structure to come.

My Ametek 40VDC Motor Measures: 4" in diameter, 4 7/8" long…
    I am making a container that will fit the motor, plus allow a little room for 2 steel hose clamp straps to slide inside the container to strap the motor in place inside the container. (I’ll cut the 2 hose clamp strap holes)
    Standard Steel Container should measure: 4.25’ inside, 5” long, with a 17mm hole in one end, split in half and hinged.

My Blades are Aluminum Falcon Blades.
    Last edited by Steadfast; 14th March 2012 at 14:34.
    - God's Walky Talky

Edmund Burke 1729-1797

This is cool.

How will you use the generated electric power?
    "I foresee little future in 'the price of silver', I see a huge future for 'the price in silver'." - heartbone
    "The truth is called hate by those who hate the truth." - K

It's amazing how fast they spin with just a 7mph wind. How much power do you expect to generate from it?

I plan to use the power to powerup my shed and all its power tools one day a week.
    at an average of 5-10 mph winds, It will take most of the week to charge my two 6 volt deep cell golf cart batteries.
    AND, in the aftermath of the the Zombie Apocalypse, I will have a working powersource.
    - God's Walky Talky

Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Sooooo, Ya Gotta have a PLAN... Here are some of mine...

The furling tail assembly (which should furl under 20 mph winds):
    "Furling" is the ability of the turbine to fold, instead of stall, break apart, or blow up under extream winds that also shift directions rapidly. Also furling helps make the blades correct their angle MUCH faster under shifting winds than the non-furling wind turbines.

Here is a video of furling at work:
    (It takes about a minute of watching before this guy gets around to showing you how furling actually works!)

My light wieght turbine is MUCH smaller than this monster! (but than his will power half his home!)
    My Falcon blades are each 2.5 ft long.
    So. I get a 5 foot sweep.

Also, Dan told me that his (20 MPH) furling tail assembly (for a 10 foot sweep) weighs 15 pounds and is as long as one of his blades. not counting the birch wood tail vain.

So mine must be 2.5 feet long and 7 pounds.

Here are my plan schematics for the tail:

Yup your seeing it right! That's a industrial door hinge for the furling pivot... ha ha!

I am cutting the tail beam out of 1/4 inch aluminum.

Here are my plans for the Generator System:
    Last edited by Steadfast; 15th March 2012 at 11:57.
    - God's Walky Talky

Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Revised Wind Turbine Generator Layout

- God's Walky Talky

Edmund Burke 1729-1797

On the above schematic, i am going to cut out the 20 amp fuse...
    I realized that if the fuse blew, my turbine would freely spin with zero internal electric drag and blow out my motor...

I have no wind turbine weekend update to report, because my seedlings grew MUCH faster than I thought they would.
    Between them and the demanding wife, I had to do this over the weekend instead.

I had to manually unload and spread two yards of 50/50 soil...

Then I had to till it all together and make rows with a hoe... My back is still aching!

Farmin is HARD work....
    - God's Walky Talky

Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Which part converts from DC to AC?