Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 134

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Im building a Wind Turbine. - Page 11
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Im building a Wind Turbine.

on sunday:

The two solar panels were pulling in a happy and alarming 135 watts per second! The batteries were quickly loaded upto a topped off 14.25 volts and my load dump switch came on and the dump sytem was instantly painful hot, but not burning hot to the touch, (that yellow light was a-flicker-in) all day LONG... Glenn Hurd's load control switch works GREAT.... ;D If any of you are planning on alternate energy you guys should all buy one from him!

(I the wind turbine only cut in breifly ... like 2 seconds... Sunday barely had any wind worth mentioning...)

I really want to use all of that electricity for more than running a dump load heater...

I still have that 35 feet of that 14awg wire... It is long enough to reach my Chicken coop too...
    I know my chickens would LOVE to have a few fans running on them in the summer and perhaps some small heaters in the winter. I would also like to be able to light up the chicken coop or the coop's side shed at night from time to time.

So here are my NEW wireing idea plans...

The top drawing is using the inverter I already own inside my sealed shed with a outlet switch in the shed.
    The bottom drawing shows a new 2nd inverter inside the shed as which also is the on/off switch. The difference is that the top one requires that I unlock my shed to switch on the inverter everytime I want to run the coop. The bottom all I gotta do is switch the power on on in the scoop shed. The PVC houses the wire and is buried.

I can not decide which one to do... But I do know I must decide...
    The problems i am contimplateing are these:

The coop side shed has only chicken wire as one of it's walls and no door, would that pose a moisture problem for a new 1600 watt cobra inverter if I added one in the coop shed? (why the 1600 watt cobra inverter: I might as well be able to run power tools at the coop as well) If I use the top plans, I am not sure yet if I can simply leave the inverter on forever inside the locked power shed...

Site more informitive photos:

Two "young bird" and/or "Bad bird" holding pens inside the coop shed.
    (new product of my wife's recent honey do list)
    you can see the chicken wire wall that seperates the side shed from the chicken run.

The out side of the finished side shed:

Last edited by Steadfast; 6th August 2012 at 16:53.
    - God's Walky Talky

"L A N . . A S T A S L E M"
    I will NOT submit to islam!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
    Edmund Burke 1729-1797

For fun, here is a video tour of my coop shot in early July, before the new chicken holding pens where added into the coop's side shed...
    Last edited by Steadfast; 6th August 2012 at 16:51.
    - God's Walky Talky

Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Solar Powering the Chicken Coop:

The plans:

First Bury the electric line from power plant to coop. (AC travels better than DC) I used a tiller to loosen up the ground. And laid out my 50ft pvc incased 12awg wire.

Next, Dig out the 18" trench, bury the pvc sheathed wire, star covering it up.
    - God's Walky Talky

Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Yeah, this digging thing, SUCKS Big Time!
    I discovered that ditch diggers are REAL MEN... Unlike me... but that's fine by me too.
    If "being a Man" must involve ditch digging, I want to be a kept wife.

As I was hooking up the electrical outlet boxes in the chicken coop shed, I noticed I had spectators.
    - God's Walky Talky

Edmund Burke 1729-1797

When I was done, I was just SICK of everything and decided not to take
    any more pictures... So, I shot this quick video of the improvements instead.

- God's Walky Talky

Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Live Results:

thats 127 watts!

One days results where we had some 30+ MPH gusts.
    2.9 ah
    .04 kwh
    25.54 ap

Here is another live reading!
    235 watts
    23.8 A
    Over a 13.04v cut in

Wind gusts at 23 mph
    - God's Walky Talky

Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Quote Originally Posted by Steadfast View Post
    Live Results:

thats 127 watts!

2.9 ah
    .04 kwh
    25.54 ap

235 watts
    23.8 A
    Over a 13.04v cut in

Wind gusts at 23 mph

Just checking in from time to time. If you had to go through all of this again, would you go straight for the Solar panels or try and build another one?

Considering the time, labor, expense and lack of a consistent wind, which do you think would actually be more productive on a daily basis, Wind or Solar? That is, ruling out any fun factor in building these things.
    I'm a proud member of Eggshellman's Liar, Shill, and bully club and a new member of the Super Jew Defense League!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steadfast View Post
    Live Results:

thats 127 watts!

2.9 ah
    .04 kwh
    25.54 ap

235 watts
    23.8 A
    Over a 13.04v cut in

Wind gusts at 23 mph

I heard that you will soon be able to get super advanced lithium cobalt batteries and charging systems (without the warming resistors) at boeing surplus auctions

Unless you live in a class 3 wind area, go solar!

Here is a recent video of the turbine as it is "cutting in" or making enough electricity to charge the batteries.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=90Bfb1PuYyE#
    - God's Walky Talky

Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Even more shameless showin off!

- God's Walky Talky

Edmund Burke 1729-1797