Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to tarnish silver quickly

Default How to tarnish silver quickly

I have recently purchased 2 10 oz bars...one an englehard for $370 off eBay (which I am considering returning via the guys return policy) cuz silver dumped on itself the day after I bought it and another sunshine mint bar off CL for $310. (i sure do like that bar, I dig that I get a coin within the bar.) Well, both bars have a little tarnish to them. I have looked and found out how to dip the tarnish off....but I was thinking about going the other way with it and tarnishing the hell out of them....

Does anyone have any idea how to quickly and evenly tarnish silver bars?

Have you ever used a suppository or keystered something past security? If the answer is yes to either one we can now move on to step two.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverChris View Post
    Does anyone have any idea how to quickly and evenly tarnish silver bars?
    Quote Originally Posted by ~G~ View Post
    Have you ever used a suppository or keystered something past security? If the answer is yes to either one we can now move on to step two.
    I have never done this but I imagine a more sanitary way may be to

put the coin or bar on its edge on a fireproof surface.
    Then light a few matches, and drop them lit next to (but not too close to) the silver and cover with a cup to extinguish the flames and trap the sulfur laden smoke for a half hour or so.

Perhaps you could post some before and after pictures of your results using both methods?
    "I foresee little future in 'the price of silver', I see a huge future for 'the price in silver'." - heartbone
    "The truth is called hate by those who hate the truth." - K

Default That sulfur tarnish is mostly black. Now if you want some colors...

Ya this is exactly what I want. thanks. I think its kinda cool being able to tarnish and clean, tarnish and clean as wanted and not having it affect weight or value. One nice reason to buy bullion. Kinda like wearing a beard and then shaving it. Now I just need to find the chemicals.

Or just use liver of sulphur.

Default tarnish over night 24 hours

hard boil a couple of eggs, cool them remove the yokes(yellow part),feed the whites to the dog.. and mash the yokes in a baggie, place the silver in the baggie and seal it, leave over night or longer for darker tarnish. the sulfur released from the egg yokes should do the trick..if you wish an even darker patina repeat above instructions..

So you want to stiff the guy who sold you the Silver after the fact because you had bad timing in buying it?

Wow! I wish they allowed hindsight trading in my part of the business. We always say that hindsight trading is always 100% correct.

Um, if it says return policy 10 days, and you spent $370 for a 10 oz bar and then the next day silver shits its pants and drops to $28 your saying you wouldn't even consider MAYBE using the return policy, and getting a bar for $310 and either getting F--up with the remaining $60 or getting an additional 2 oz of CM or ASE's ?

If you say no your are kidding yourself cuz its human nature.

Maybe he shouldn't have put a return policy on it....I mean who does that?

BTW I ended up keeping the bar ( like the mook I am) cuz I do like that I now have an Englehard bar even tho silver is at $28, englehards are going for $350-400 still.

I really like that anodizing technique, but if I do that and want to change it back to clean silver will I be able to reverse the process with the aluminum foil technique with no damage?

we have all had buyers remorse..but when silver goes down, we really have not lost anything until we sell it. most on here are perma bulls. there is no lose until it is sold at less than you paid..and there is a premium on most anything precious..it's just like in 2008 when the markets tanked, everyone at work was asking me what do i do, my R.R.S.P's are down 20%.. should i sell them..And i told everyone no.You are only down 20%, and you only lose it when you sell..and the market came back..thankfully..to your point you will have no problem getting your money out of these bars.