Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 134

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

100 watt incandescent light bulb sales totally banned by feds starting in 25 days. - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 100 watt incandescent light bulb sales totally banned by feds starting in 25 days.

I can get 4 of the old ones for $1 and they are not hazardous waste.

I have a few things against them

- take time to warm up
    - dump mercury in your house when/if they break
    - cost a lot more
    - create a massive EMF compared to filament bulbs (which create nearly zero EMF)
    - obviously a lot more elaborate to manufacture, impossible to recycle and more wasteful
    - energy cost savings is a joke.
    - we need laws now to force us to use them.
    - burn out just as easily if not easier than incandescent

thats all i can think of off the top of my head/

Quote Originally Posted by krispy View Post
    I have a few things against them

- take time to warm up
    - dump mercury in your house when/if they break
    - cost a lot more
    - create a massive EMF compared to filament bulbs (which create nearly zero EMF)
    - obviously a lot more elaborate to manufacture, impossible to recycle and more wasteful
    - energy cost savings is a joke.
    - we need laws now to force us to use them.
    - burn out just as easily if not easier than incandescent

thats all i can think of off the top of my head/
    If you are only using them sparingly then you'll have a hard time justifying the expense and they will fail sooner, but they should not fail as soon as a filament bulb.

Use them for outdoor lighting and you will find them paying for themselves. Leave one one and it will last for many years and far longer than the stated life expectancy, which is around five times that of a filament bulb and approximately 1/4 or less the operating cost. Use the straight tubes and they will last even longer. I've only changed mine twice in the past 20 years and they burn 24x7 in the basement. It's a daylight basement, so I use lighting inside and out. It's illegal to build a submerged basement in my county, so one side must be at ground level, so they are called daylight basements.

You really don't want to break one in your house, they are a pain to clean up.

CFL bulbs are like anything else you buy. Some are made very poorly and others have high quality standards. Buy them at the dollar store and your probably not going to get a quality CFL bulb.
    I'm a proud member of Eggshellman's Liar, Shill, and bully club and a new member of the Super Jew Defense League!!!

I like my light source old school -- open barrels of burning fire.

You know it's over the day the gov't tries to ban fire.
    Caedite eos.

Quote Originally Posted by maplesilverbug View Post
    I like my light source old school -- open barrels of burning fire.

You know it's over the day the gov't tries to ban fire.
    It has been over for a long time.

We sheeple around here have been PROHIBITED from burning the leaves that fall from the trees for about a generation now.
    "I foresee little future in 'the price of silver', I see a huge future for 'the price in silver'." - heartbone
    "The truth is called hate by those who hate the truth." - K

Move to Alberta.
    You can burn anything there.
    Caedite eos.

Quote Originally Posted by silverheartbone View Post
    It has been over for a long time.
    We sheeple around here have been PROHIBITED from burning the leaves that fall from the trees for about a generation now.
    You would think that an engineer would understand the enormous difference to the environment that leaf burning vs composting poses. The smell of burning leaves brings back fond childhood memories, but I am an adult now and realize the consequences.

What consequences would those be?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Shelley View Post
    You would think that an engineer would understand the enormous difference to the environment that leaf burning vs composting poses. The smell of burning leaves brings back fond childhood memories, but I am an adult now and realize the consequences.
    I would think a seasoned trader and jackoff all trades would understand the enormous differnce between residential leave burning and the engineers who design oil refineries and steel smelters and cars don't give a **** about the environment.

yeah, some serious consequences burning those leaves. but industry and commerce? forge ahead! watch out forest fire! you got nothing on grandmas backyard leaf pile!

Angry I just feel insulted and abused whenever I look up and see the blatant government

chemtrailing polluting our air.

Yet I can't burn a few leaves?

FTFG