Thread: Do banks remove their pre 1964 quarters, dimes and all half dollars?

Default Do banks remove their pre 1964 quarters, dimes and all half dollars?

My friend was telling me i should go around to the banks and see if they have any pre 1964 dimes or quarters or pre 1970 half dollars and see if i could get them at face value. I said i doubt that would work but it got me to thinking, if a bank receives a 1964 quarter, or half dollar what do they do with it? Do they change it out with a non-silver coin and just keep the silver one? Do they even look at dates? Is it possible to get silver from a bank at face value?

Thanks.

Sure it's possible, but not probable. If it were that easy, everyone would do it. Some tellers are wise to silver and keep it for themselves, and others have no clue. Usually takes going thru LOTS of coins to find anything.

"...see if they have any pre 1964 dimes or quarters or pre 1970 half dollars and see if i could get them at face value."

Bank employees are not fools. Those who know about 90% silver coins pull them for themselves/family members/friends...or whatever. The important thing is that they pull them.

Employees who do not know about 90% silver coins can not have any for you to buy at face or any other value...unless there happens to be a coin in their drawer, but again they wouldn't know it and sure aren't going to take the time to look through all the coins they have on hand.

Best thing if you want to do it, is to ask to trade FRNs for rolls of halves, quarters, or dimes; but make sure you ask for rolls other then those from the mint, so you will be getting circulated coins.

In this regard, a small-town bank is the best bet...maybe have some halves that have been sitting on the shelf for awhile. Forget credit unions...most of them don't hold half-dollars.

Ardent Listener Guest

I know my local banks search at least the half dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by goldminer View Post
    Those who know about 90% silver coins pull them for themselves/family members/friends...or whatever. The important thing is that they pull them.

You're right.....some of them have picked up one of my cards or have seen one of my fliers and sell them to me for around spot.....
    Last edited by hiyosilver; 4th March 2009 at 20:28.
    TRUTH is not dependent on one's belief of it...
    John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

"Get Real"

I found a 1964 quarter a few day ago, I was shocked! It is the second silver coin I have found in pocket change during my life, the first was a Roosevelt dime. You might get lucky with old rolls of halves but its not economical the odds are against you unless you really can get old rolls, you'd be better off just buying them.

ive only found nickels in my change...i think most dont know there is silver nickels or have found them worth pulling....not as many years in silver but i think thats why there not pulled...

In my experiance of coin roll hunting for about 8 months now. I have been very succesfull in finding half dollars. I have pulled approx 700 silver half dollars from boxes of halves that I have several differant banks order for me. I think that because halves were much less circulated there is still a fare amount of silver still out there.

sunsetcliff Guest

my credit union does not have an auto roller. so the clerk can see every coin. hmm.

my guess is that if not officially- the banks do so unofficially.

I got a real coin back at Aldis a month ago.

years ago- it odds were better