Thread: the rainbow effect on coins

Default the rainbow effect on coins

what causes the rainbow effect on coins??? i herd it was something in the mint bag materials (for the morgans)????
    if a woman is walking through the woods by herself ,does she STILL think her ass is too big?

Morgan dollar coins are 90% silver and they tarnish. The rainbow colors you are referring to is tarnish (silver sulfides) that have formed on the surface (only). Tarnish results over time from a chemical reaction between the silver and particles in the air and particles that are found in varying types and amounts in paper and a lot of other substances.

Coin collectors call the "rainbow" colors "toning". Some collectors prefer the toned coins that have an appealing look. A person has to be careful with toned coins because great looking colors have been and are diliberately produced bu unscrupulous individuals looking to sell them for more money.

Fly-over country, South Dakota. The heart of the USA

Default You say...

Beautiful Rainbow Toning,
    I say, Multi-colored tarnish on the entire surface.
    The former sounds much better though.
    This goes in cycles. 10-15 years ago (or so) Morgan collectors "LIVED and DIED" for the bright cartwheel luster of untoned, near perfect coins.
    More recently the UNC coins are prefered with the wild rainbow colors but with the possibility of many FAKE toned coins it is totally buyer beware and lookout below!
    I am told that the best real long term toning is done in the original bags. The "outside" coins gaining the prettiest paint.
    Some recent (in the last year or two) finds written up in trade papers (that I have viewed at my LCS) have been amazingly cool. That's a technical term: amazingly cool.
    Some hundreds of thousands of FRN's spent on them.
    If ONLY I could happen upon a bag forgotten in a nearby shed or culvert near my father's farm.
    Imagine the silver I could acquire!!!
    That's ALL I have to dream about that!
    JesterJay

Quote Originally Posted by goldminer View Post
    Morgan dollar coins are 90% silver and they tarnish. The rainbow colors you are referring to is tarnish (silver sulfides) that have formed on the surface (only). Tarnish results over time from a chemical reaction between the silver and particles in the air and particles that are found in varying types and amounts in paper and a lot of other substances.

Coin collectors call the "rainbow" colors "toning". Some collectors prefer the toned coins that have an appealing look. A person has to be careful with toned coins because great looking colors have been and are diliberately produced bu unscrupulous individuals looking to sell them for more money.
    If you don't GOT it, You don't GET it!