Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 134

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Dump numismatic stuff?? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dump numismatic stuff??

Smile Dump collectible coins

I buy numies to take some of the boredom out of buying bullion. Right now I need a Red Spider to complete two sets of Perth mints Deadly and Dangerous series. Message me if you got em.

You can buy bags of scratch and dent stuff for about around the price of spot if you shop around which to me still seems reasonable if you just want it for the silver content.

Default Coins and Bars

The funny thing is, I started with bars. My first purchase was a 10 bar. After that I have been collecting a lot of coins and I think what you are saying makes sense.

To gain a true wealth and a real asset I think acquiring as many mid-large size bars would give you a strong holding and a bit of power if things go sideways. I am not big into the coin collecting but buying oz's here and there has been my way of choice for most of my PM career.

Is it true that with a good footing in silver/gold etc you are able to borrow money at 0 interest having securing your own loan? I wouldn't let the bank know but someone told me that is an option.

Thanks,

Nope..Can't sale my coin collection..

Besides i have enough silver and gold if SHTF tomorrow i'll be OK..

Default Selling Coin

One thing I dont think I would do is sell the coins I have. I can see how people would want to sell and reinvest but I wouldn't sell out id just change my buying strategy.

Fly-over country, South Dakota. The heart of the USA

Default This is my point...

Yes, agree with PSUDave.
    Quantity in bullion, not twenty-five hundred $25 Morgan dollars. Quality in numismatics will remain. Four or five KEY DATES (let's stick with Morgans) like Carson City dollars will be the way to fly with the spendy coins.
    I liquidated my CC coins, all MS6somethings, to start my bullion purchasing. I liked the fancy, but I will live off the bullion.
    I only have a few numi's, not much of value, just a few coins that I like.
    JesterJay

Quote Originally Posted by PSUDave View Post
    I agree, numismatics isn't going to die. As long as there are coins, someone is going to collect them, always have, always will. I also don't believe that we will have to use silver to barter. I just hate having to put on the chest waders to get through all the bs that's out there in the market. I've been going thru my collection, picking the stuff to sell, and there's some stuff I'll keep. Shifting my focus, quantity in bullion, quality in numi.
    If you don't GOT it, You don't GET it!

Default When panning for food, numismatic may not matter.

If we get to the "gold for bread" situation then you'll regret not exchanging the numismatic for plain old bullion.

Having silver dimes and shot in addition to the larger chunks would be handy in an extreme situation.
    "I foresee little future in 'the price of silver', I see a huge future for 'the price in silver'." - heartbone
    "The truth is called hate by those who hate the truth." - K

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetcliff View Post
    any piece bought or sold can be a shrewd move.

my mistake tho is- that when I churn I eat the spread. which only cuts into the oz. so thats not good.

so if you have a buyer then fine. but if the price is too low- then dont.
    My sentiments and thoughts exactly! What percentage (don't answer) of your portfolio will this collection represent? Some numis have a place in a portfolio if correct quality and type.
    "The future isn't what it used to be" Yogi Berra

Ardent Listener Guest

If we go into a bad SHTF situation then gold and silver may serve as a means of exchange up to a point. In my opinion mumismatic coins will be considered a luxery far above a basic means of exchange. It's like saying when the SHTF people will be willing to pay a lot more of their silver and gold for a Lexus rather than a basic Jeep because people perfer Lexus and will always value them. Maybe some do now, but when it come to food out of their mouths they will think otherwise.

Default Numi vs Bullion

Quote Originally Posted by PSUDave View Post
    I've been collecting coins for a short time now, which lead me to bullion. Lately I've been thinking of selling the numi stuff and buying more Au and Ag. Sorting through all the junk that's out there, overgraded, fakes, etc. gets very frustrating. Also, I realized that even if I do put a set together, I'll never be able to shell out the cash for the key dates, especially when I compare that to how much PMs that would buy. So, keep what numi I got and forget about it for now, or sell for PM?
    A few years back I started carrying several old proof sets to coin shows and exchanging them for bullion. Also sold a few on eBay and bought bullion.

I lost some value in the exchanges, but simplified my accounting.

I still have a coin collection, but it is more or less earmarked for my grandson.

There probably will always be buyers for rare coins, but they may be hard to locate and/or get a fair exchange from.

My thoughts are that bullion is a more liquid investment for most people.

Also, I have no emotional attachments to bullion.