Thread: Morgan Silver Dollar Question --Fake?

Default Morgan Silver Dollar Question --Fake?

When i was younger my dog had dug up and old morgan silver dollar from under an old beach cabin we'd been staying at. it's been holed, and its in really bad condition, but i've kept for years. Now I recently went to a coin dealer to buy two more morgan silver dollars, and they are so much smaller than the one i found. so is it fake? i guess it must be.. but anyone else know of a bigger coin like that?

Ardent Listener Guest

Can you tell if it is silver or not? It must be a reproduction of some kind but may have some special value of its own. Lucky find.

not sure if i would be able to tell if its silver or not. it seems it was plated to some extent. with a metal that is flaking away at some parts.. but i definitely wouldnt know what any metal would look like when it'd been buried 3 feet in the sand for god knows how many years.. even if it is fake, it's a fun story to tell haha!

Quote Originally Posted by blakestimac View Post
    not sure if i would be able to tell if its silver or not. it seems it was plated to some extent. with a metal that is flaking away at some parts.. but i definitely wouldnt know what any metal would look like when it'd been buried 3 feet in the sand for god knows how many years.. even if it is fake, it's a fun story to tell haha!
    Maybe it's the late 1800's or early 1900's version of the huge plastic pennies we have today??

That's what it sounds like to me if it's flaking away.

-Emt1581

Default Oversized Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by blakestimac View Post
    When i was younger my dog had dug up and old morgan silver dollar from under an old beach cabin we'd been staying at. it's been holed, and its in really bad condition, but i've kept for years. Now I recently went to a coin dealer to buy two more morgan silver dollars, and they are so much smaller than the one i found. so is it fake? i guess it must be.. but anyone else know of a bigger coin like that?

All "genuine" Morgan Dollars were the same diameter.

If it is flaking it is a reproduction. There were a lot of reproductions in the past as there is now. The fact that it is a larger size indicates it is a novelty.

In fact they are advertising plated "gold eagles" on TV regularly.

Many years ago I remember a company that made replicas of coins, all the same size and out of some kinda "pot metal". Looks to be that size from the very small picture in the thread. I'm betting that's what is is.

Although.... I do have a 2.14 OZ Morgan "replica" with the date 1878. That may be what you have.

Opps.... It's 1.61 troy ounces....