Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 134

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

What are the most traded silver rounds? Who mints the Silver Buffalo round?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are the most traded silver rounds? Who mints the Silver Buffalo round?

Question What are the most traded silver rounds? Who mints the Silver Buffalo round?

What rounds do you recommend? I trying to find out which are the most popular rounds, figuring that they will be the easiest to trade. The one that keeps coming up in my digging is the Buffalo round. But nowhere does it say who mints it. Thanks for the input.

Although I have a few Rounds of different types and quite a few Bars of different types, I mainly collect Coins and Coin Series. When I started collecting Silver, I wanted to combine the investment factor with an interest factor; so that it was a Hobby as well as a perceived necessity. I have found that some of the Bullion Coins being produced, are better than rounds and are easily sold on; because they appeal to both Silver and Coin collectors. They have also increased in value more than the Bars or Rounds for the same reason and also, because their mintages are lower and are therefore (in a lot of cases) rarer. Some of the best and most universally recognized ones are as follows.

1oz Chinese Silver Panda Coins (999 Silver)
    1oz American Silver Eagles (999 Silver)
    1oz Silver Britannia Coins (958 Silver)
    1oz Silver Austrian Philharmonica Coins (999 Silver)
    1oz Silver Australian Kookaburra Coins (999 Silver)
    1oz Silver Australian Koala Coins (999 Silver)
    1oz Silver Canadian Maple Leaf Coins (999 Silver)

Are you looking to collect silver rounds or are you looking to invest?

If you are investing, then any generic round from your coin shop will be fine. You can buy them for a little over spot price.
    If you are looking to collect then you will have to pay a preimium for the round/coin because you will be wanting to get the coins listed in the post above. Also, if you are collecting, dig around on the web because there are a lot of small mints that put out some really nice coins.

Hope this helps!
    Tanman

There is more than one variety of the buffalo round.
    "I foresee little future in 'the price of silver', I see a huge future for 'the price in silver'." - heartbone
    "The truth is called hate by those who hate the truth." - K

Just received a terrific little Buffalo Bar minted by the Madison Mint in 1972 (quite rare), that's the 5th different Buffalo Bar I've got.

Default there are many others

"I foresee little future in 'the price of silver', I see a huge future for 'the price in silver'." - heartbone

*FRACTIONALS*

This is my favorite buffalo round!

Quote Originally Posted by Winchester View Post
    What rounds do you recommend?
    You specify "rounds", I include bullion coins. Speak up if you want specifically "rounds".

Location is everything and buy what the locals will recognize where you are or where you plan to relocate. (Eagle and buffalo are both US. The Maple should be good down to the Mexican border, considering the Canadian snow birds. Mexican silver coins are a bargain in the US, for now, and should be good over most of Latin America, not so good in the US or Canada. Overseas? No information.)

At a border or in an estate, coins with a value stamped on them can have an advantage over simple rounds (like the Kruggerrand) that just have a weight. Local laws vary. Rule of thumb, "The coin is a little better, just in case".

Be sure to get a small scale and vernier caliper and/or a set of Fisch gauges (google). There are a lot of counterfeit coins and rounds on the market, made in China.

It always surprises me when anybody asks that question. I have seen rounds from about twenty different mints, or at least they seem to be twenty different levels of quality. And you know what? I paid the same for all of them, and they all sold for the same price when it came time to sell them. I have had maples, kooks, SAE, buffaloes, phils, pandas, all that stuff that people think is worth more than generics. I didn't pay any more for them than any other round would have cost at the time, and I didn't get any extra when I sold. Guys who think premium is important in bullion coins are kidding themselves.
    My opinions might change.
    But I'm still right.