Thread: Silver chain and tarnish few questions

Default Silver chain and tarnish few questions

Hello, am interested in purchasing some sterling silver in a chain. Does keeping a thin chain of sterling silver mostly unwarn tarnish? Do they coat sterling silver with anything to keep it from tarnishing? Then last, if it does tarnish does tarnishing permanently damage thin sterling chains? Please let me know, I'd like to know before making a small investment. Thank you very much.

Other than Argentium which is a new type of sterling that is reported to be tarnish resistant (and also comparatively quite expensive) all Sterling silver (which is a 92.5% silver alloyed to make it more durable to withstand the rigors of use...pure silver and gold are to soft to serve as functional items. Subsequently all silver and gold coins produced in the last few centures have been alloyed with 1 or more other metals: generally 90% for silver coins and 91-92% for gold coins) in jewelry or any other form tarnishes. The tarnish is silver sulfides that form on the surface of silver from particles in the air.

Will the chain tarnish while not being worn? Yes if it isn't kept in an anti-tarnish cloth or special anti-tarnish plastic zip-lock bag.

"Coat" it? No.

Does the tarnish hurt silver? No...but some silver polishes designed to remove tarnish will. Be carful what you use. A mild jewelry liquid "dip" works well...get it at Wal-mart or other store.

And be aware that there is a lot of jewelry items sold at retail and at secondary market sites that is stamped "sterling" or ".925", that is not sterling. Some of the items contain no silver and some of them are alloyed with only 60-80% silver.

I hope this helps.

Ardent Listener Guest

There are anti-tarnish coatings that can be put on to silver and other metals.

For example http://gocctech.com/default2/pbrite.htm

Wow that was really helpful, thanks so much. I couldn't get back for a bit.
    For the protectors like the last link, I guess they wouldn't make a protector for silver if it harmed it in any way. So I guess its safe.

silver turns black while in contact with sulfur.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please, please don't coat your silver with anything. The coating will eventually begin to flake off and it will look like crap. CLEAR liquid tarnish removers like "Tarnex" works the best. Just put some on a soft cloth (a scrap of old t-shirt works great) or put a small bit in a bowl, (you can dilute it with water if you wish), swish your jewelry around several times and then take it out and rinse it well. You can clean several pieces of silver jewelry in the same bowl. I usually just put a lid on the bowl after I'm done cleaning my silver and save it for the next silver cleaning time rather than throw the stuff away.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardent Listener View Post
    There are anti-tarnish coatings that can be put on to silver and other metals.

For example http://gocctech.com/default2/pbrite.htm
    Hey Listener...this is TOTALLY OT... but may I ask how come you got an avatar? I seem to have never had the option unless there is something I'm missing...
    Exaggeration is a billion times worse than understatement.

Quote Originally Posted by gaoyf9527 View Post
    world of warcraft gold Promotion! Here guarantee the lowest price of wow gold in the market! There will can make your wow life rich and we can promise you will be a hero in world of warcraft cause you will have more and more wow power level to get good weapen and other stuff ! we have sell Buy wow gold the price Slashed again! Unbeatable price from the direct sale. You are buying World of Warcraft gold from the game developers directly, not from the resellers, no hacking, no cheating, guarantee work ! but please keep your mind clear , don't pay more time and money there , cause you have your live life ! ok that's all thanks for your read . ( maybe this is a good news)
    SPAMMER!!!!! GTFO!!
    Exaggeration is a billion times worse than understatement.

Default Tarnish

If you store your Silver in a plastic baggie whatever you do DON'T wrap a rubber band around it to help keep the air out. The sulfur in the rubber will diffuse right through the bag and seriously eat at your silver.