Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 134

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

50/oz of gold to buy 1/oz of silver
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 50/oz of gold to buy 1/oz of silver

Default 50/oz of gold to buy 1/oz of silver

Ted Butler says that the stockpiles of silver are down 90% from 1940, that's a lot no matter how you look at it, which to me begs the question, what if we got this gold ratio thing backwards? I'm not kidding look at all the things silver can do and be used for, now ask yourself what can gold be used for? Is the supply of gold getting smaller? Is it really such a leap to believe that silver should be of greater value than gold? If not then id like to ask for what reasons it shouldn't be?
    "Where freedom is, there is my country" Ben Franklin

i dunno - gold can be used for many of the things silver can be used for, but its just too expensive i thought. like, it never tarnishes, so thats good for electrical connections, where as silver does tarnish, making connections weaker over time.

plus the aliens need it for their atmosphere! thats why we like it, we were trained to mine it for them!

j/k, i dont know what the truth is

correction......

We were CREATED to mine it for them

Gold is much harder to mine, correct? Costs a lot more to mine, like $400 actual costs per ounce. Silver is easy to mine, costs less than 1% of what gold costs to mine. Gold is also a by product of other mining operations, correct?

Add to that the fact there are many gold mines that are flooded, so available if industrial applications required the supply to be replenished.

small undisclosed island in the pacific ocean

So how many onces of gold do I need to get me abord the mother ship and off this doomed spining ball?
    And how many onces dose a guy need to get himself a freaky green, 3 titied alien chick for the ride?
    Maby your right, crashjp, I wont complain about the gold to silver ratio reversing, I certainly think will see the ratio move toward the historical norm.
    Last edited by danthehomosapien; 9th February 2011 at 22:43.
    Opinions are like ass holes...... Everyone has one

Default Hmmm Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by crashjp View Post
    Ted Butler says that the stockpiles of silver are down 90% from 1940, that's a lot no matter how you look at it, which to me begs the question, what if we got this gold ratio thing backwards? I'm not kidding look at all the things silver can do and be used for, now ask yourself what can gold be used for? Is the supply of gold getting smaller? Is it really such a leap to believe that silver should be of greater value than gold? If not then id like to ask for what reasons it shouldn't be?
    I think the very reason that it has so many uses is the reason it's cheep. It has been held down in price. Society has been told by the world that silver is just another metal and gold is king and so it must be true.

SF

Quote Originally Posted by isaiah58 View Post
    Gold is much harder to mine, correct? Costs a lot more to mine, like $400 actual costs per ounce. Silver is easy to mine, costs less than 1% of what gold costs to mine. Gold is also a by product of other mining operations, correct?

Add to that the fact there are many gold mines that are flooded, so available if industrial applications required the supply to be replenished.
    If silver is abundant and cheaply mined then the question becomes WHERE IS IT? If we have used up 90% of our stockpile why hasn't. It been replaced? To me there seems to be a break down in logic as to how we have viewed the gold/silver raito.

Quote Originally Posted by krispy View Post
    i dunno - gold can be used for many of the things silver can be used for, but its just too expensive i thought. like, it never tarnishes, so thats good for electrical connections, where as silver does tarnish, making connections weaker over time.

plus the aliens need it for their atmosphere! thats why we like it, we were trained to mine it for them!

j/k, i dont know what the truth is

Now, I could be wrong on this but, I just learned in a one of my electrical classes the other day that when silver oxidizes, it actually becomes a better conductor of electricity.

Quote Originally Posted by crashjp View Post
    If silver is abundant and cheaply mined then the question becomes WHERE IS IT? If we have used up 90% of our stockpile why hasn't. It been replaced? To me there seems to be a break down in logic as to how we have viewed the gold/silver raito.
    What is "our stockpile" and how is to maintained? Looks to me like there are no initiatives towards keeping any silver reserves. We have Petroleum reserves, we used some of them not too long ago. Looks like as far as silver goes, there is nothing i place to keep the reserves in tact, the government is using it up as part of the legislation directing the US Mint to produce coins. I would think that all someone has to do is change the law and the stock pile can be maintained if not increased.

This sites front page is full of news releases about new finds. We are discussing here buying stock in mining companies that have extensive un-mined land holdings that are being explored.

I would not have started to invest in silver if I did not believe that it is vastly undervalued. I also believe that between industrial uses and production the supply is going to barely stay up with demand.

Based on what I am reading, if mining can not increase supply, then we have about 4 years left of stock piles to support minting and other production. industry would control the supply at that point as they will pay the most up front to the mines to assure thier supply remains.

Isaiah58 I think you just hit the nail on the head, we have been slothful at maintianing our reserves and from what I can tell getting good solid numbers is impossiable, but let me throw this out there, what if all the cheap easeily gotten silver has indeed been mined and to get to new large amounts the cost will be greatly higher than it is now and thus mineing copper will no longer be able to meet demand? I don't know for a fact this is true but I'm wondering.