Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Security issues, cell phone pics and what they can reveal

Thread: Security issues, cell phone pics and what they can reveal

Default Security issues, cell phone pics and what they can reveal

Turns out cell phones, some easier than others can be remotely enabled , some require somebody to load some software on them some don't .. so that the mic can be turned on and whatever is happening arround the phone can be heard.. aparently anybody can do this with the right gear.
    http://news.cnet.com/2100-1029_3-6140191.html

However the real shocker is that cell phones and apparently some of the new "Pad" type computers that take pictures incode data that reveals the time and exact location of where a picture was taken... this is for you guys that occasionally post pics of your hoard or even individual coins and thought nobody would know where you live.. in fact any picture of anything , if you post it online and you took it where you live can reveal exactly where that is.

Here is a website that decodes the info and gives you the location .. don't take my word for it .. try it with a picture that you know where it was taken and see how detailed the location is ..
    http://regex.info/exif.cgi

just trying to keep you guys from putting out the exact location of your goodies..

good luck
    Hi Ho Silver ... Away

I'm not seeing location when i submit a picture here: http://regex.info/exif.cgi

covered lenses with electrical tape long ago, good post as most dont know about this issue.

That's a good thing, maybe you have a the location tagging on your phone turned off, or maybe you are using a non GPS enabled digital camera? Not every picture taken by every device is coded It's cell phones , most of which have GPS capability.. you need to have GPS capable device gadgets can't incrypt what they don't know.
    Hi Ho Silver ... Away

tried with my blackberry - no GPS data

tried with Miss' samsung GS (brand new) the website provides longitude and latitude parameter, but they are ZERO's

Aperture 2.6
    Focal Length 3.8 mm
    GPS Altitude 0 m Above Sea Level
    GPS Latitude 0.000000 degrees N
    GPS Longitude 0.000000 degrees E
    GPS Position 0.000000 degrees N, 0.000000 degrees E
    Light Value 6.4
    Shutter Speed 1/19
    Thumbnail Image (8,040 bytes binary data)

Cool! - scary too of course.

theres some security settings she can mess with, we'll see if it can pick up our location
    Last edited by krispy; 9th February 2011 at 21:10.

I went to different pictures all taken with different phones over the past few years that I know are GPS enabled. So far not one pic identifies where it was taken.

Well it has worked for folks I know and for myself .. here is a sample of the data that can be displayed.. http://regex.info/exif.cgi?url=http%...2F_JEF1873.JPG
    Hi Ho Silver ... Away

I tried it with a pic taken on the camera phone I own (but am not currently using
    because an even older non-camera phone I have works better as a phone) an LG 5450
    and there was very little data whatsoever. Not even a date or camera model recorded.
    (This unit is way before GPS in phones so obviously no location.) I tried it on a pic a
    friend's uncle took, it did identify the model of camera and some other specifics of how
    it was taken and a date taken but since it was a stand alone camera with no GPS there
    was no location specified.

Thanks for pointing out this handy site.

I've heard about the spy software to listen to what happens around a phone without you
    knowing before. I suspect this is annother area where I benifit by using "lagging-edge
    technology". (Though if somebody _really_ wanted to find me they could still
    triangulate the location of my cell phone using older direction finding methods, that
    could even be done to see where I was transmitting from with my old ham rig.)

You can also modify the photo easily using MS Paint.

Open the image in MS Paint, then do Save As...... Save it in a different format (eg BMP).

MS Paint won't encode this info into the BMP. You can double check by using the web site.

Then resave the image as PNG (a compressed format) so that your image file isn't unnecessarily large.
    Legal Disclaimer: All posts by the person known here as tom1000000 are not to be relied upon for any reason and may be totally incorrect. All rights reserved.