Thread: 90% coins vs bullion

Default 90% coins vs bullion

my holdings are all 90% to date. would it be wise to consolidate a large portion into .999% (fewer individual items, easier storage, maybe more liquid, etc)? do you think coin shops would be open to a straight oz. for oz. swap, or would it be better to try and find individuals who are looking to diversify in the other direction?

Quote Originally Posted by crvmiata View Post
    my holdings are all 90% to date. would it be wise to consolidate a large portion into .999% (fewer individual items, easier storage, maybe more liquid, etc)? do you think coin shops would be open to a straight oz. for oz. swap, or would it be better to try and find individuals who are looking to diversify in the other direction?
    Yes to every question. Be prepared.
    "I foresee little future in 'the price of silver', I see a huge future for 'the price in silver'." - heartbone
    "The truth is called hate by those who hate the truth." - K

Quote Originally Posted by crvmiata View Post
    What would be wrong with just making your future holding purchases in bullion ? There are pluses and minuses for both. In the US only AES and pre '65 coinage would currently be considered Safe From Government Confiscation if FDR like policies were placed in effect.
    I'm not a retailer but I'd say forget about a one for one swap with a retail dealer, BUT it never hurts to ask.
    Your best bet would probably be finding people in the opposite predicament of yours for swaps.
    Consolidation to save 10% of your current storage issue is minimal at best.
    If Ag prices continue to rise you may find the fractional coinage to be of more value in barter situations than 10oz slabs or larger "bricks".

JMO
    Gb

LUCK favors the PREPARED darling. - "Edna Mole"

ATTENTION Liberals and Progressives - The path to HELL is paved with good intentions.
    ( The USA is certainly spiraling in that direction)

"The future ain't what it used to be". - Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Goldbrix View Post
    What would be wrong with just making your future holding purchases in bullion ?

JMO
    This is what I would do.
    Don't get rid of anything. Just make all new purchases in bullion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by coctailer View Post
    This is what I would do.
    Don't get rid of anything. Just make all new purchases in bullion.
    Right, ever time you swap or sell/buy you are likely to take a loss. That's how dealers pay their rent. I have learned that the hard way. Anyway, in a few weeks it is possible that everyone will be saying 90% is the thing to have.

All forms of self defeating behaviors are unseen and unconscious, which is why their existence is denied.
    Vernon Howard

thx for the feedback. i'll consider least costly options.

"least costly options"

Is Dollar Cost Averaging. Buy a little with every paycheck / extra funds.
    Gb

LUCK favors the PREPARED darling. - "Edna Mole"

ATTENTION Liberals and Progressives - The path to HELL is paved with good intentions.
    ( The USA is certainly spiraling in that direction)

"The future ain't what it used to be". - Yogi Berra

I am no expert but I share the same sentiment as most others commenting prior to myself. Why trade when you can simply purchase new bullion or even more 90% silver if you wish. I believe unseen forces have and will continue to manipulate the price of silver, but I doubt silver will be confiscated for the fact that our very own government (US) mints silver. That being the case I don't really see much downside with "junk silver."

So long as you can find someone who will still take your fiat pieces of stained cloth for silver bullion I would suggest making that trade.

There may soon come a day when no one will be willing to do so.