Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Melt Value Calculator - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Melt Value Calculator

Quote Originally Posted by hiyosilver View Post
    I'd look into converting it into a more liquid (spendable) form of bullion. I think that the liquidity of that will become more difficult and expensive as time goes by. IMO My reasoning behind this is, the best value for sterling is for the product it is, but in a faltering economy the lesser market there will be for it too. Perhaps advertise it as "perfect wedding gift" or something. Actually, in my opinion though, a silver bar would be the perfect wedding gift....
    Dude, that makes no sense. Sterling is what, 92%? What's wrong with that in a faltering economy? Silver is silver...wait, are you talking easily-negotiable coins, rounds, SHTF scenario?
    “Most of our so-called reasoning consists in finding arguments for going on believing as we already do.”
    - James Harvey Robinson

"The more we convince others, the more we convince ourselves."
    - The Tongue and Quill

"...Sterling is what, 92%? What's wrong with that in a faltering economy? Silver is silver..."

What's wrong with it is that 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999% of sterling is not marked by weight. This means that folks can't know what a piece is worth without weighing it, must have it assayed to know if it's really "sterling" (92.5% silver), and then find a buyer who will certainly discount the purchase price because of the element of risk and the need to expend time and energy getting it assayed and sold &/or refined which is an additional expenditure of time and money.

Sterling is fine if you can get it cheap, but then IMO needs to as quickly as possible, to be converted to credible items of bullion that are marked with purity and weight...or 90% silver U.S. coins if living in the U.S. &/or 80% silver coins if living in Canada.

"Joke today but a word to the wise: tomorrow the weight difference between uncirculated and circulated coins may not be a joking matter."

That's why I tend to cherrypick my junk silver from my dealer when he's in a good enough mood to let me.

It's definitely a fast way of getting a ruff estimation for your coins, or ones your looking to purchase, I use it all the time, its a great site.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by hiyosilver View Post
    I'd look into converting it into a more liquid (spendable) form of bullion. I think that the liquidity of that will become more difficult and expensive as time goes by. IMO My reasoning behind this is, the best value for sterling is for the product it is, but in a faltering economy the lesser market there will be for it too. Perhaps advertise it as "perfect wedding gift" or something. Actually, in my opinion though, a silver bar would be the perfect wedding gift....
    I'd get married today if bars were going to be wedding gifts.
    In a world of deceit telling, telling the truth is revolutionary.

Default Silver eagles

How would uncirculated silver eagles calculate?

Fly-over country, South Dakota. The heart of the USA

Default Spot Plus...

To find out this amount I check ebay or better yet go to my LCS (Local Coin Shop) and ask them what they are paying for UNC Eagles.
    JesterJay

Quote Originally Posted by JimBo View Post
    If you don't GOT it, You don't GET it!

Quote Originally Posted by JesterJay View Post
    That's right,
    Which means my 1982 penny is only worth $.0217 and not $.0219!
    Egads, I feel so poor....
    JesterJay

You may feel even poorer depending on that penny.
    Half the year was copper, half was the zinc clad new version. oops:

FWIW,
    DYODD,
    Gb

Quote Originally Posted by JimBo View Post
    Most holders, and retailers want a premium over spot if they are willing to sell.
    If you're selling under duress you should get spot since there is a demand
    for them.
    Calculate value at spot X's T.oz.

Actual weight vs. struck weight may be important to those who plan to trade it in large amounts to those who deal it. And then there are those who have junk silver for 'barter money' should the dollar ever collapse or in the event we're forced to use an implanted chip to buy the groceries. Whatever the circumstance, the barter value will be determined on the street and I'm sure the amount of wear of the coin will not matter to those receiving it. If you want it for that reason then you should buy 90% coins at the best value and appearence or wear wouldn't matter.