Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Melt Value Calculator
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Melt Value Calculator

Bill Guest

Default Melt Value Calculator

Hey everyone,

I found this link and thought it would be a good one to post here.

Enjoy!

http://www.coinflation.com/coins/sil...alculator.html

Default Careful...

Be careful using the coinflation melt calculator...it uses the amounts of silver that a coin contains when struck (i.e. uncirculated).

This means that the melt value amount that the calculator reports will always be somwhat higher then the melt value of circulated coins which are worn = less metal than uncirculated ones.
    Last edited by goldminer; 25th August 2007 at 06:07.

Fly-over country, South Dakota. The heart of the USA

Default Oooo....

That's right,
    Which means my 1982 penny is only worth $.0217 and not $.0219!
    Egads, I feel so poor.
    Where, oh where, has my 2/100ths of a cent gone?
    JesterJay

Quote Originally Posted by goldminer View Post
    Be careful using the coinflation melt calculator...it uses the amounts of silver that a coin contains when struck (i.e. uncirculated).

This means that the melt value amount that the calculator reports will always be somwhat higher then the melt value of circulated coins which are worn = less metal than uncirculated ones.

Joke today but a word to the wise: tomorrow the weight difference between uncirculated and circulated coins may not be a joking matter.

Here's a bulletin if you don't know it: Dealers ship lots of 90% to each other all the time and ship to refineries. ALL BUYERS WEIGH THE LOTS THEY RECEIVE AND PAY ACCORDING TO WEIGHT...PERIOD.

The proverbial "average" circulated coin is hypothetical: it will never be seen because it's precise weight will never be known.

When struck, $1000.00 face value 90% silver dimes, quarters, and halves, contained 723.4 ounces of .999+ (.999 purity was the minimum acceptable fineness) fine silver.

Because it is not feasible to weigh every circulated 90% coin, a number of randomly selected bags of $1000.00 face circulated coins were weighed and it was determined that on average, those bages contained 715 oz. of pure silver = a difference of 8.4 oz. per $1k face. The 715 oz. of pure silver per $1K face value bags has been widely excepted as a market norm used to determine the value of "average" circulated coins.

The (now viewed) small difference in weight between an uncirculated and "average" circulated 90% (say) dime, is inconsequental, given we are talking about a single dime, and the current spot price of silver.

An opposite view will be taken in the future if/when silver reaches the 100-1000-plus dollar spot that many people are projecting...and rather than a single dime, they're talking about the value of silver contained in 10 to 1000 dollar face lots of the coins. To this end the value of 90% coins will be determined (and traded) by weight rather then face-value.

This is why today in some folks opinion, that it is important (1) not to pay too much for significantly worn coins, and (2) only acquire coins that do not show significant wear (i.e. Roosevelt vs. mercury dimes, most recent dated Washington quarters, and Franklin vs. Walking Lib. and '64 Kennedy half-dollars.

Just something somebody might want to think about.
    Last edited by goldminer; 22nd August 2008 at 08:21.

Fly-over country, South Dakota. The heart of the USA

Default Wise words goldminer

I was only joking about the penny. No matter what you buy, worn coins or near perfect rounds, one MUST always get the best deal possible.

I am a tight-ankle from the word "GO!" and will bargain with the best of them.

However, I think anyone who buys NOW and doesn't wait 'til $30, $40, or higher dollar silver is getting the "Deal of the Century!" due to the very fact that silver has to skyrocket well beyond what we see today. Sooner or later.

So buy sooner. Smile later.
    JesterJay

I agree...always look for a DEAL.

Default Silver Calculator

I wrote an EXCEL Silver Calculator program, that is very cool. Cooler than the link above.

Is there a way I can send it here so others can download it and use it?

You need Excel, a Windows Office program to use it.

Thanks,
    SH

Default new to forum

pardon my innocence
    but what about sterling silver items
    I have a number of pieces that I bought and what do you folks think of that
    as a future investment?

Quote Originally Posted by steve henshaw View Post
    pardon my innocence
    but what about sterling silver items
    I have a number of pieces that I bought and what do you folks think of that
    as a future investment?
    I'd look into converting it into a more liquid (spendable) form of bullion. I think that the liquidity of that will become more difficult and expensive as time goes by. IMO My reasoning behind this is, the best value for sterling is for the product it is, but in a faltering economy the lesser market there will be for it too. Perhaps advertise it as "perfect wedding gift" or something. Actually, in my opinion though, a silver bar would be the perfect wedding gift....

Quote Originally Posted by SilverHawk View Post
    I wrote an EXCEL Silver Calculator program, that is very cool. Cooler than the link above.

Is there a way I can send it here so others can download it and use it?

You need Excel, a Windows Office program to use it.

Thanks,
    SH
    Love to take a look at that if you end up posting it.....