Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 134

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

I've never sold..........some questions and advice please
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I've never sold..........some questions and advice please

Default I've never sold..........some questions and advice please

K, I have never sold, dont really know anything about the 'SHIPPING' part of the equation. UPS, fine. Will they pack up 1000 ouncers nice and neat for you?
    Will they all make it to their destination? I mean really, put say 10 1000 oz packages on the truck.......odds of them all making it?
    I know when I bought them , x number made them one day and I met the driver pulling out of the circle as I was pulling in. NO signature as required. And they were just sitting on the driveway.
    The rest of the order showed up 2 wks later. Same thing, only I wasnt expecting it to come, and I never seen the driver.
    Sending to me, I know it's insured. If I dont get it , resend it. Same SHOULD BE TRUE going the other way........but how many hoops would you have to jump through?
    Aboslutly, not because I am selling.......just trying to be informed in advance.

So, a couple of things:

#1) Whomever the shipper is, the packaging should be discrete and confidential. I am uncertain what you meant by

Will they pack up 1000 ouncers nice and neat for you?
    but if a CARRIER knows what you're shipping, you open the door to fraud. Even though they are bonded, you could still undergo a headache trying to get things back. Most shippers (not the carrier...the shipper) should pack the item in unmarked packaging, and send with full insurance for the full value.

#2) About carriers: When I ship PM, I ALWAYS ship:
    -USPS Express, with signature required, and full insurance. I've shipped thousands of packages, and only had 2 lost. Both of those were of no-value, and had no insurance, tracking or other safety options. They have a success rate of nearly 100% on Express delivery. I don't know about success rates on Priority, Registered or other service.
    -Fedex "End of Day". For a 1000 oz to New York it cost me (the buyer) $160, which I just tacked on as fees, but most wholesalers or dealers have corporate accounts, which offer them discounts. Unlike UPS union drivers, Fedex Home delivery drivers are in business for themselves (i.e. contract drivers). They buy the truck - all Fedex does is supply them with packages for delivery. Lost packages are paid for out of their pocket so the lost packages are really low. They only get paid for packages delivered. Last I checked, they had a 99.4% delivery success rate. That is Six Sigma success story when you consider how many HD packages they ship.
    -UPS is too much for that kind of shipping, and I wouldn't ship anything of value with them. Contrary to Fedex, these guys are paid (albeit, well) hourly, and have no personal investment in the packages. If one is lost, damaged, broken etc., they do not have a personal stake. While UPS has metrics in place for their drivers' success rates, it doesn't change the fact that they allow for a certain amount of "loss" in their P&L. Therefore, I would NEVER ship valuables via UPS.

#3) Odds of packages making their destination? I would think they are pretty good (see the above success rates). BUT...consider what is mentioned above. I trust Fedex, because the drivers have a stake. BUT...when in doubt, re-read #1.

I know ccjoe just sent some bars, and he had them pack it. UPS requires sig, but apparently it doesn't mean much. Atleast not to my local drivers. Cant remember off hand, ups or fed ex on joe's shipment.
    Sending something insured for 100 bucks.........really, who cares compared to sending something plus 250k........wihch box is going to 'fall off the truck'?
    By the time you pay the insurence, it might just be worth a road trip........

YMMV.

Not to bag on ccjoe, but having someone pack PM for you is like advertising you have it! Hell...then they have your home address! I'm sure the response would be "I have a gun...I'd kill those bastards if they broke in". Sure...you could do that, but think about how much trouble you would have to go through, even if no legal ramifications occurred. None of that is worth it...just for a shipped package?

Adding insurance is not uncommon for shippers, and carriers are used to high-dollar insurance (although some might say that buying $25k insurance draws attention). The end result is quite simple...you over insure something (i.e. spot plus premiums, at the buyers expense) so that if it is "lost" a new one can be purchased. Again, I've never had issues sending packages, and I've sent thousands (some days up to 60-65 packages) and only had 2 not reach their destination. Private sales of large amounts are often too much trouble/stress. I've only done it twice, and don't have plans of doing it again. There are almost always local ways to sell; ones that protect you better than advertising your home address to a shipper, carrier or buyer.

insurance ......for sure... at 24/ 1000
    I'll skip the gun thingy......
    Not a shoot , its hitting the fkin fan stuff....
    Basically.......do you any of you trust shipping BACK to your sell if its over say 5, 10, 50, 100k, ? How do you do it?

I had the same concerns if/when I do sell. I was looking for a reliable online retailer and it appears as though Tulving would be a good choice.

I have no actual experience with them, but I like the fact that they pay for overnight shipping and they have private insurance for packages sent to them as opposed to just the packages you get from them.

When it comes to shipping precious metals, be very careful. I'm pretty sure UPS and FedEx won't actually insure precious metals. You will need private insurance for it to be covered. I've also heard that USPS insurance won't cover them unless you send them registered mail. You can pay for all the insurance you want, but you better check with them to be sure it actually pays out in the event it gets "lost" in the mail.

Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, as I typically err on the side of caution.

when i bought , getgo@@ , used ups , and their rate was 24/1000..........not on weight but value of the shipment.
    tulving is US...........me am be Canadian
    sure seems like a hail mary sending that much ..........and how much grief after the fact
    Like I said before.....incoming not so much.............outgoing seems to be my problem........and if I can use TULVING I will.
    I've had some supper bad experiences getting stuff from the USA to CANADA in the last 18 months......took 2 yrs to get my bike across, not USA fault
    Bathroom renos for 5 k never showed.....something about a boat that drowned .....lol .......10 x , mastercard insurence ran out , blah ,blah
    Trying to do this right once only , if the situation should arise.

Default If you want it done right--Do It Yourself

Your Not Tulving. They have shippinig down to an exact science for how they do business. They have shipped MILLIONS of ounces. You have shipped ?. Even if you try to duplicate their methods, you might miss a detail. Can you afford it. Like they say in Vegas--don't gamble what you can't afford to loose. If it was mine: I'd load it in a truck and take it to the buyer myself. If the load was really big I might even have armed backup, in and behind the truck. That's if your talking several 1,000's of ounces. The lower the risk factor, the lower the risk. Good Luck. See Ya At The Top.

Precious metals are not insurable above $500.00 or $1000.00 depending on courier. I would only ever use FedEx NOT UPS they leave parcels on doorsteps that no intelligent human would ever leave. Ya silver is heavy, losing 1000's of oz is alot heavier, shipping is part of business, get over it and pay for it or drive it there yourself. We send PM's and diamonds thru FedEx every week, never a problem, dont use UPS or Post period. And yes paying for insurance and collecting on it are two very different things, the later nearly impossible, insurance is a waste of money.
    The definition of luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, and we should always be prepared.

You have instantly eliminated me from the conversation, as you mentioned selling silver in a SHTF scenario. I do not believe this will happen, but if it did, selling silver would be the least of your concerns. Silver will be all but useless if that scenario actually plays out. Now...if you have food, water, medicine, guns, ammo or a few other items, you'll be rich if your scenario ever occurred. Seriously...if your scenario happens, silver doesn't just magically go up in price while the rest of the world's day-to-day affairs remain static. Come'on man...