Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 134

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

"History says silver is cheap" - Forbes
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "History says silver is cheap" - Forbes

zr4 is offline Silver Seeker Senior Member Site Admin

Default "History says silver is cheap" - Forbes

Somebody probley just lost their job.
    http://blogs.forbes.com/greatspecula...lver-is-cheap/

Hummmmm.....

Sounds possible?

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2005/0606/130.html

Quote Originally Posted by zr4 View Post
    Why?

"I like the iShares Silver Trust ETF at or below $20. Given the exchange traded liquidity and low overall expenses, we view SLV as an efficient way for investors to own exposure to the price of silver."

Two things: 1) author, just like 95% of "silver" articles, suggest buying PAPER silver over real-deal physical. More money for his brokerage/management fees I guess? 2) At least he admits he only wants "exposure to the PRICE of silver" and not actually wanting physical silver itself. Shill.
    Caedite eos.

Quote Originally Posted by maplesilverbug View Post
    Why?

"I like the iShares Silver Trust ETF at or below $20. Given the exchange traded liquidity and low overall expenses, we view SLV as an efficient way for investors to own exposure to the price of silver."

Two things: 1) author, just like 95% of "silver" articles, suggest buying PAPER silver over real-deal physical. More money for his brokerage/management fees I guess? 2) At least he admits he only wants "exposure to the PRICE of silver" and not actually wanting physical silver itself. Shill.
    Isn't there a 28% capital gains fee on profits when cashing out?

Quote Originally Posted by SilverHawk View Post
    Except that article is from 2005.

Let's see how the mentioned companies in the article are doing today:
    (I started looking at the funds but had trouble locating several of them, leading me to believe they are now defunct)

Company Name / 2005 / 2010

BEARD / $2.11 / $0.90 (w/ 2-for-1 split = $1.80) ~ -15%

BUNGE / $55.73 / $56.09 ~ +0.5%

Phelps Dodge / $86.77 / $125.25* (+44% on last day prior to '07 take over; new company Freeport-McMoRan @ $81.44 ~ -6%)

Smithfield Foods / $29.89 / $16.88 ~ -43%

Weyerhaeuser / $65.96 / $16.09 ~ -75%

Great picks, Mr. Tatge -- a business journalist.
    Wow. No wonder the market crashed! Ha!

Also love this tid bit he spewed:

"The only physical assets you could plausibly own are precious metals. You could buy, say, 500 1-ounce American Eagle gold coins for $214,000 [$428 in 2005] and stow them in a safe-deposit box. Drawbacks to this way of getting a commodity exposure are considerable: You face high frictional costs of trading (a bid-ask spread of perhaps 2% to 5%), storage and insurance costs and potential sales taxes. Hang on for more than a year and your capital gain, if there is one [HA!], is taxed at a federal rate of 15%."

Eyes wide shut.

HIS picks got him any where from a 1/2% gain to a a 75% loss.
    HIS "considerable drawback" commodity play would have earned him a very nearly +200% gain.
    HIS other arguments (storage, insurance(???), tax) are completely avoidable.
    (and "high frictional cost of trading...of perhaps 2% to 5%" ??? So I can either pay 5% now to my LCS or loose 75% later while my broker still takes his fee and bonus?)

And, if you care to actually read said article, it quotes a current SS member.
    Caedite eos.

Isn't there a 28% capital gains fee on profits when cashing out [of SLV]?
    Exactly.
    As I said, authors like that have no interest in telling you to go out and buy real physical metals, which you pay your local dealer or online store the premium.
    He doesn't give a crap about securing a healthier and more sound economy and society.
    He's just concerned with the bottom line of his own bank account -- "Buy paper! Trade with me! I'm your broker!"

Then they publish advertisements thinly disguised as half-assed articles.
    No better than politicians.
    Caedite eos.

Isn't there a 28% capital gains fee on profits when cashing out?
    Just as if you were selling physical Silver and not trying to hide it from the IRS or Silver contracts on COMEX. It's all 28%.

But that doesn't indicate it will always be at the 28% rate. If there is ever a flight to PM by all of the wealthy individuals in this country, they will get the PM capital gains tax rates lowered, if not eliminated all together.

Those with all the money and power make the rules, just as it's always been. Some of us little guys "may" actually end up saving a ton of tax money by default, along with the rich ones!

Quote Originally Posted by zr4 View Post
    Wow, what a genius!
    "The bank hath benefit on the interest on all monies which it creates out of nothing." - Bank of England charter 1694

"the centralization of wealth in the hands of the state by means of a national bank with an exclusive monopoly" - Karl Marx, Communist Manifesto

did you read the whole article i linked to?

i didn't post it because i liked it...

man....

Relax, not u man.
    "The bank hath benefit on the interest on all monies which it creates out of nothing." - Bank of England charter 1694

"the centralization of wealth in the hands of the state by means of a national bank with an exclusive monopoly" - Karl Marx, Communist Manifesto