Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 134

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19
Silver's History of Suppression

Thread: Silver's History of Suppression

Thumbs up Silver's History of Suppression

A mainstream media outlet allowed this article to circulate.
    Someone is going to have a bad day.
    Actually a good, concise recount of the Silver suppression over the last 50 years or so.
    A quick read. http://www.thestreet.com/story/10787...ppression.html
    Any questions?
    Got Silver?

Quote Originally Posted by Sue-Z-Q View Post
    I well remember the switch from 90% to fiat-metals (as some call them). Also, the popular dead Prez was used as a marketing ploy, too. The Kennedy half dollars were hyped by everyone from Lyndon Johnson down and even people who could ill afford to put back rolls did - as if they were gonna be some kind of talisman. For some, they were, as silver held its value for the 1964 90%. The rage for Kennedy's increased, and were such a must-have (i.e. like Cabbage Patch Dolls or Beanie Babies) that people took in 90% to trade in to get the new 40% they panted after. 'Cause it had JFK on it. Same thing when it went to the straight cupro-nickel issues. It is slap-flat AMAZING how many rolls of unc early year Kennedy's are now coming out of the woodwork.

And yes, it was illegal to melt down US Coinage after the act that forbade it. But I have read numismatic books which detailed that Yes, Virginia, it WAS indeed, being melted and the profit differential enjoyed by some. There is reasoning along this line that some semi-key coins are much more "key" and that some which no one would have even considered semi-key may, indeed be so, due to the meltdown. Many do not consider the Yeoman's Redbook Mint Production figures a'tall accurate nowadays due to the meltdown. There were bullion melters who had their cars outfitted with heavy duty suspension so they could kite down the interstates to small private melting setups and not have their rear bumpers dragging too low to raise suspicion. A lot of once collectible coins had so much more value as bullion than as a hole-filler in a coin album that many (including us) popped stuff out and turned it in as we knew (beginners that we were) that it had risen too high to sustain.

And oh, Lordy, were there every nitwits who got the "message" late and galloped in at the high price and bought 100 oz bars and are now selling it in disgust at present. They are sheoples, and one who is kind and merciful does NOT inform them that a 1980 FRN dollar and a 2010 FRN dollar are like comparing apples and oranges.

Sometimes people get the whuppings they deserve, IMO, lol, for being idiots who dive into something on advice from ads and tv **** and don't do their own due diligence.

Parallels with Canada and laws? Yup, yup, yup! Growing up on the Border and almost as at home across the border in Canada (love Winnipeg!) there IS more than just "hands across the border" but seems a tad bit of collusion, too, as the article you posted mentions about the alliances with monetary laws, etc.

Got s----r? you ask....Uh...

NOW WTF WOULD I WANT WITH a SLIVER?

(Joking at Matt Shelley over his Dyslexic Bumper Sticker.)

I believe the book about it was by Jerome Smith, came out maybe right before the Hunt Boyz. It's on my bookshelves...somewhere.
    Well, they've taken the precious out of all circulating coins so long ago.
    Now they cry that it cost them 6 cents to make a nickel but you never hear them cry about the 3 cents it costs them to make a C-note.
    The average person doesn't even want to be burdened with dirty cash anymore. Ask a kid if they would rather have 3 twenties or a $50 giftcard to Target or WalMart. Their parents must be so proud.
    Nowadays we have to see the currency revaluation for what it is without the help of metals being removed from our coins. Yet it continues unabated.
    Good stuff Suze. Nice to have the perspective you bring to the discussion. History is being played out right in front of our eyes. I wonder how many people realize it?
    Last edited by skijake; 30th August 2010 at 21:06.