Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 134

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

If You Have the Time...
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If You Have the Time...

Default If You Have the Time...

Hello everyone:

I’ve been a little busy, lately, following a line of research that initially appeared to be a waste of time, since the “thesis” for this research “feels” absurd. I began informally, and really just wanted to see if there were any other complaints about the horrendous level of “trolling” we experience here at SSF…elsewhere. Right out of the box, I stumbled into this story:

http://consumerist.com/2006/02/did-n...-products.html

"Nvidia stands accused of hiring online actors to create dozens of personae in online forums, where they won gamers' trust by talking about subjects unrelated to Nvidia's products, and then splurged in an orgy of sock-puppet boosterism of Nvidia's stuff."

By all means, check this out for yourself, but for the sake of economy I will simply recap the “high” points. Essentially, this is a sort of “unfair practices” complaint about Nvidia, “seeding” (trolling) forums, message boards, and e-article comments, with benign statements, ostensibly contributed by “established” ID names. These IDs had been developed earlier, lying in wait to re-direct “voluntary” contributors to their products. Further, directing others to products in a surreptitious manner wasn’t enough…arguments AGAINST competitor’s products, were used freely to structure sentiment towards, “well then, what IS the best solution?” Obviously, I think few will argue that this is a “fair” practice. One of the amazing things attached to this article was a description of the company responsible for executing this mission, Arbuthnot Entertainment Group (AEG), and the requirements for their “hirees”. A potential employee of AEG relates their experience:

I interviewed for a guerilla marketing business in San Francisco that targeted web forums. I was told that if I accepted the job, I was to have at LEAST 50 identities on as many forums as I could muster (they wanted 100 eventually), with a goal of 5 posts an hour. The posts had to be well thought out, and the idea was that I was to establish multiple identities with a history on the forums, so that when the timing was right a well written but subtly placed marketing post could be finessed in. And regular visitors would recognize the post as coming from a long time poster.

Wow, does this maybe sound like anyone you know?

A visit to the company responsible for hiring others to execute these “missions”, AEG, will surprisingly reveal a pretty basic page, now…mostly “under construction”. You can try to find more information, here: http://aeginfo.com/ . Naturally, there is likely not much still there, because a PHENOMENAL number of people are PISSED. This number includes a virtual directory of professional competitors with Nvidia…but also, curiously, a great number of individuals who feel betrayed by “being heckled and ridiculed” within forums they had been long-associated with.

I’ve apparently discovered what appears to be a massive controversy, world-wide. So what…Duney says. Well, let’s look a little deeper…k?

Down the rabbit-hole…here we go.:

NetVocates is a “company" that apparently does the same thing AEG does, but this site has apparently been blown off of the Internet, due to pending litigation. A saved screen-shot of this company reveals the nature of their business:

"...blogs frequently impact an organization and its products and image in uncontrolled and often unexpected ways. In addition, the sheer volume of blogs, message boards, and other discussion forums makes it difficult for organizations to effectively monitor the activity relevant to them."

Further:

"…NetVocates then recruits activists and consumers who share the client’s views in order to reinforce those key messages on targeted blogs – and rebut misinformation when appropriate."

HHhhhmmmmmmmm

Naturally, I found this information to fall far short of my research “standards”…since this VERY SLIPPERY company, appears to not exist…today, at least not with this name. However, the name “NetVocates” is attached to the ID string of web “visitors”…and in this respect NV is VERY active. A whois search of NV reveals the “owners” to be Griffin Strategy Group, LLC. Curiously contact info for GSG yields a non-sense contact phone number of 999 999 9999. Continuing down in the “rabbit elevator” we find the ostensible CIO of “Griffin” to be “wow”, Chip Griffin. Curiously, there is no mention of GSG but a HUGE collection of “spooky” stuff…maybe THIS is Duney:

http://chipgriffin.blogs.com/about.html
    http://www.pardonthedisruption.com/

Griffin is likely legit, at least I have no evidence to prove otherwise, but he IS up to his eyeballs in e-marketing, the “home” of surreptitious forum trolling…and things are HOT re: Nvidia scandal.

“…So do people out there know that the guy behind NetVocates, a service that watches blogs and message boards then hires "activists and consumers who share the client’s views in order to reinforce those key messages on targeted blogs" is also the guy behind CustomScoop, a service that's getting some kudos in the blogosphere? Somehow I think people haven't noticed”

Oh yeah, “CustomScoop, (“A pioneer in the online news monitoring industry”), is a company which is ALSO a subsidiary of the “Chipster”…a sort of NSA of the Internet.

Well…this was amazing stuff, but I wanted clearer info about Duney’s activities…which are mostly just pissing on my Wheaties, over at SSF. I found these links related to this amazing world of “trolling”, and picked a company in Duney’s ostensible “area”, and a review post, of a similar company doing business there.

http://newhaven.backpage.com/BizOpps...ly-now/3368726

http://techcrunch.com/2006/06/30/pay...buy-your-soul/

I’m not sure if anyone was paying attention over the last years, but twice, now, we’ve been treated to Duney’s details. One post was just a week or two ago, by someone in The Netherlands, and once by “Jake”, who many of us here remember. We “know” that Duney was ostensibly participating in one, maybe more, drug trials at Pfizer. This was near New Haven CT, and captured dialogue reveals Duney’s characteristic punctuation errors. Further, from that same dialogue, it looks like jobs were difficult for Duney to get…thus, signing-on to a “guerilla blogging” project would be just the ticket.

Don’t forget to read again, what Duney’s job interview concerned, and his projected duties, Obviously, Duney often, “has to go” and “there are others who need my help”. Hmmmmm…this would be perfect, since Duney’s being pushed to produce up to 100 posts a day. Further, this explains why Duney NEVER gets personally involved with anyone at the sites he’s targeted towards…has anyone EVER received a PM from him? …didn’t think so. Further, Duney’s method of generating bogus IDs matches the testimony of the person interviewed for the “troll” position. Ie. “multiple identities with a history on the forums, so that when the timing was right a well written but subtly placed marketing post could be finessed in”. FURTHER:

One of the VERY STRANGE things about Duney (et al), has been the curious way he and his clones “tag” certain posts. I suspect there is a specific purpose for this, and likely directly related to Duney’s “client”. Duney-Bozo’s favorites are, but hardly limited to: Whacko, terrorist, goldsilver bug, extremist, survivalist, militia…and many many others. This turns out to ALSO be a “paid” activity. One such company is here:

http://www.ogd.co.za/Meta_Keywords.asp

This company is just a MASTER in the industry of “tagging”…and it can work two ways, apparently. One method of “tagging” involves a fairly ungainly “meta-file” containing “key words” to guide web searches to your page,,, but another more insidious use has nothing whatsoever to do with marketing…but rather “marking”. I am still researching this, as I suspect Duney’s “tags” are very specific, for a reason. The site I used to provide this quote, is apparently just the “tip” of this iceberg:

“Organize and focus your keywords into short phrases. The best thing to do is to target "multi-word phrases" that give you the "highest quality leads". The easiest road to success is to target popular keywords that your competitors have overlooked.”

This outlines the strategy for “keywords”. A more sinister looking job-application for this sort of thing is here. Hey Duney, you could try for this job.

http://www.freelancer.com/projects/B...ster-Need.html

More “tagging” jobs:

http://www.blogcatalog.com/blogs/get...o-write-2.html

I will probably continue researching this until I find the more “sinister” practices which are being complained about in other forums. With respect to Duney, it’s pretty clear how his “paycheck” materializes. I’ve loved belonging to SSF, and I am sad that Duney, and his 50 -100 identities are used ostensibly to crush this form of discussion. You see, the “truth” and “helping others to know the TRUTH about silver…have NOTHING to do with Duney’s efforts. It’s ALL…just a job. Overthrowing “Duney”, will likely mean that Duney will get “fired”…but then the “client” will simply “hire” Dyney II. The rest of my friends and colleagues, here at SilverSeek, can do what they wish with this info…but foremost, you should temper what you read, and see, with the FACT that Duney-roger-Bozo FITS THIS DESCRIPTION TO A “T:.

Oh, yeah, a “forum” also speaking to this: http://forum.noblerealms.org/viewtopic.php?id=3554

Happy posting, everyone.

h

Is it possible that more than one troll could belong to one forum? For example, two people each have 50-100 Identities, but on the same forum? I've been looking around, and "bozo" claims to not be "roger", but the posting habits all appear the same. Bozo doesn't have the punctuation marks hanging in the middle of nowhere. Roger seems to have done something like that his whole life, and a habit like that would be especially hard to break... However, Bozo and Roger are both apparently on the same silver-bashing, SSF trolling side...

Quote Originally Posted by Xine View Post
    Is it possible that more than one troll could belong to one forum? For example, two people each have 50-100 Identities, but on the same forum? I've been looking around, and "bozo" claims to not be "roger", but the posting habits all appear the same. Bozo doesn't have the punctuation marks hanging in the middle of nowhere. Roger seems to have done something like that his whole life, and a habit like that would be especially hard to break... However, Bozo and Roger are both apparently on the same silver-bashing, SSF trolling side...
    I suppose that ANYTHING is possible. Certainly, SSF has been important enough to finance Duney for years, now. The review of "job responsibilities" for "trolls", indicates a pretty huge commitment to posting...ie. 10 per/hour etc. "informally" observing Duney-roger's habits, reveals a similar "quota" type of likely, required volume. Also almost ALL of roger + clones posts are one-liners. On occasion, I get the feeling that he might be "crapping" his drawers, and attempting some form of "damage control". These times may also be observed by raising a BIG STINK is a "lesser" thread, so as to draw attention away from the offending thread.

More to the point, Xine, I figure Duney is "enough troll" for SSF. This has been his meal-ticket for two years. I figure that "silver", or PMs might be roger's specialty, and that he will "territorially" protect "his" turf from other troll-interlopers.

If you want, you could search for IDs that are "currently" inactive...and which
    "match" the pattern of posts exhibited by "Bozo". The Bozo ID was, as I have mentioned, developed in March, gathered a couple of thresds in April, and came out like "Gang-Busters", about 10 - 12 days ago. This is "classic", so to speak, for "troll-development". I am certain there are other "current" IDs with this signature.

Nope, it's likely just Duney, for now...oh, and his "required" clones.
    Last edited by hekura; 26th July 2010 at 20:41. Reason: ...oh, and

ccjoe is offline Senior Member Site Admin

I read about 4 sentences h and conclude that you have some serious mental problems.
    I was out at the range, my daughter has a friend over for a sleepover, I dropped off my son for paintballing this afternoon, my wife and I discussed Orlando real estate investment. I called my father from the range to see how my ailing mom is doing. I texted my friend (yes my one friend) in Az.
    I signed for my first fund raiser for this Sat since my herniated disc. Scott Brown might be there of course.
    Yes it sucks to be me. I would much rather be r and ding freaks as you are.

Quote Originally Posted by ccjoe View Post
    I read about 4 sentences h and conclude that you have some serious mental problems.
    I was out at the range, my daughter has a friend over for a sleepover, I dropped off my son for paintballing this afternoon, my wife and I discussed Orlando real estate investment. I called my father from the range to see how my ailing mom is doing. I texted my friend (yes my one friend) in Az.
    I signed for my first fund raiser for this Sat since my herniated disc. Scott Brown might be there of course.
    Yes it sucks to be me. I would much rather be r and ding freaks as you are.

The information in your original post is interesting and something we should consider to be occurring on the Internet. Unfortunately is contained an accusation against a former member who is unable to defend himself. It ( the thread) also now contains a personal attack through name calling against you. I'm disappointed with both.
    Last edited by What is Truth?; 26th July 2010 at 21:09. Reason: to clarify

All forms of self defeating behaviors are unseen and unconscious, which is why their existence is denied.
    Vernon Howard

Well, This is the info that we have thought was out there but now right in front of us.
    Who hasn't wondered, even just to themselves, why a site known as Silver Seeker would Welcome with open arms such a host of characters? Not because they offer some sort of nuanced view of the Silver Market but just to bash and disrupt.
    What's in it for whom? The troll evidently gets compensated but what does the Forum Host get out of it?
    Great info and I hope those who have only vaguely admitted to themselves the possibility of trolls and the practice of trolling can see where this whole thing is going.
    For those who have some simplified answer to trolling like, Use The Ignore Button and Let's Pledge to be Friends BS, you should realize or at the very least let the concept of trolling sink in when you watch the Evening News or The Morning Show. It's a different medium but the same games are widely displayed.
    Excellent post H! Thanks for the leg-work putting it together!

ccjoe is offline Senior Member Site Admin

Sky- The host evidently gets paid for the hits.
    It seems like it would be a money losing proposition if the ONE obvious troll here would force so many others to leave. It just doesn't make good business sense.

Quote Originally Posted by What is Truth? View Post
    The information in your original post is interesting and something we should consider to be occurring on the Internet. Unfortunately is contained an accusation against a former member who is unable to defend himself. It also now contains a personal attack through name calling against you. I'm disappointed with both.
    A former member?
    You jest, no?
    Anybody who has been here for a year or more knows that Roger is Duney without any hint of fabrication.
    Roger will be stopping by shortly to confirm. Something like, I am The roger , and not the great Duney ,but I have studied his words and he is truly wise but I am roger .

Quote Originally Posted by ccjoe View Post
    Sky- The host evidently gets paid for the hits.
    It seems like it would be a money losing proposition if the ONE obvious troll here would force so many others to leave. It just doesn't make good business sense.
    Controversy, much like that of talk radio, seems to attract a larger audience. The more controversy on a site like this the more posts and post being read that are made.

All forms of self defeating behaviors are unseen and unconscious, which is why their existence is denied.
    Vernon Howard