Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: International travel carrying gold. Any restrictions?

Default International travel carrying gold. Any restrictions?

I may be able to travel with a significant amount of gold to Europe (possibly up to 100oz). Are there any travel restrictions?

Thanks.
    "Scenes are now to take place as will open the eyes of credulity and of insanity itself, to the dangers of a paper medium abandoned to the discretion of avarice and of swindlers." --Thomas Jefferson 1814

akak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nmreich View Post
    I may be able to travel with a significant amount of gold to Europe (possibly up to 100oz). Are there any travel restrictions?

Thanks.
    As far as the USA is concerned, my understanding is that there are, surprisingly, no legal restrictions on traveling with gold, in any quantity. In a practical sense, however, I would not put it past the minimum-wage Gestapo known as the TSA to give you some grief, even significant grief. But I have not heard of any such occurrence as of yet --- not to say that it hasn't happened.

Thanks!

In transit point would be UK, or Germany, or Holland. Avoiding Greece for obvious reasons! hahaha! I don't suppose I could travel with a gun as protection from the minimum wage TSA's though. Do I have to "declare" the gold on the other side?
    "Scenes are now to take place as will open the eyes of credulity and of insanity itself, to the dangers of a paper medium abandoned to the discretion of avarice and of swindlers." --Thomas Jefferson 1814

akak Guest

Thanks!

In transit point would be UK, or Germany, or Holland. Avoiding Greece for obvious reasons! hahaha! I don't suppose I could travel with a gun as protection from the minimum wage TSA's though. Do I have to "declare" the gold on the other side?

I couldn't answer that at all --- you would have to research the reporting requirements, if any, of the country into which you will be flying. Maybe some members here would know? I don't know if you mentioned where your destination would be.

As for the USA, though, I have tried to find as much information on this subject as I can, and yet have not found much regarding flying with gold, and much of what I did find was vague and/or contradictory. Maybe contacting the TSA and asking them directly might help?

Quote Originally Posted by akak View Post
    I couldn't answer that at all --- you would have to research the reporting requirements, if any, of the country into which you will be flying. Maybe some members here would know? I don't know if you mentioned where your destination would be.

As for the USA, though, I have tried to find as much information on this subject as I can, and yet have not found much regarding flying with gold, and much of what I did find was vague and/or contradictory. Maybe contacting the TSA and asking them directly might help?
    Final destination is Cyprus - the money laundering capital of the world. I used to work for Merrill Lynch - I should now!

Quote Originally Posted by centralpa View Post
    you need to check with your destinations- and be certain it is current.

another option could be to ship it BRINKS.
    I think (but I may be wrong) that Maple Leafs are valid as currency. If that is the case then I could claim that they are only $50 each if they ask. How many people working in airports are aware of the TRUE value of gold? Chances are: not many.

These are simply ideas, there is no plan in the making to buy gold and transport it.

Gold, in any form, is exempt from the "monetary instrument" category. You may travel with it at will.

Your foreign point of entry is your BIG variable. Choose wisely.

I'll also have to select which passport I should travel on. Geesh I sound like Jason Bourne.

akak Guest

I'll also have to select which passport I should travel on. Geesh I sound like Jason Bourne.
    Nice to have a choice!

And it's interesting to note how so many countries are tightening up their residency and citizenship policies --- the doors really seem to be slamming shut all over the world, especially when it comes to Americans. Just another part of the ongoing worldwide loss of freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by akak View Post
    Nice to have a choice!

And it's interesting to note how so many countries are tightening up their residency and citizenship policies --- the doors really seem to be slamming shut all over the world, especially when it comes to Americans. Just another part of the ongoing worldwide loss of freedom.
    That's right. If you want to apply for Canadian citizenship you will be disqualified if you have received government assistance (unemployment compensation). The same holds true if you are a Canadian with an American spouse and want to sponsor her/him for permanent residency!